1250GS Without options!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Jarno, May 30, 2020.

1. Jarno

Jarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a luxury problem!

I can spend some $$ on a new motorcycle, and I am deciding between either a Fully equiped 850GS ADV (incl esa and all bells and whistles) or a GS1250 without options (exept a style HP pack which gives me the spoked rims and nice paintjob)

My problem is that I can not find a single review telling me something about an optionless 1250GS. No rider experiances, no nothing!

I prefer the look and engine character of the 1250GS, but all the electronic gimmicks on the 850GSA also seem attracting + it has better offroad suspension (but worse weight distribution)

It's a propper 1st world problem!! Guys..please help me. Any riders here with an educated opinion?
  2. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    well to make it easier talk to your dealer and see if it's even possible to get a 1250 with zero options... I don't think they come to US without pretty much full equipment or different packages at least.
    If he says it can't be done then decision just got easier.

And pls explain your statement on weight distribution?
    Jarno likes this.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Buy the bike that fits the ACTUAL mission you'll be taking it on and that makes you smile. I wouldn't pay $1 for the electronics, except maybe ABS if that can be switched off, but that's just me.
    Dirty bike and Jarno like this.
  4. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    Also - any two up riding is a nod to the 1250.
    No two up riding -> either one.
    shuswap1 and Jarno like this.
  5. AntReed

AntReed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me running costs would be a factor as well, I imagine the 1250 to be higher but if your not putting on big miles then this shouldn’t be too much of a factor
  6. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    I suspect you would have to special order the optionless 1250GS and wait the 3+ months for it to come in. Most dealers order fully pimped versions on spec to maximize profit.

Aside from that, the two bikes have quite a different character to them. The 850 rides like a tall skinny bike and the geometry and handling of the 1250 are much better at low speeds, despite the extra weight. The wife put 120k miles on a F650GS twin and 50k on a R1200GSA, which she still has. From day one, she was far more comfortable at low speed on the big GS than the little one. I've ridden both as well and personally have no use for the F bikes. You're better off buying a Yamaha Super Tenere than a F850GS. (disclosure, I have 150k miles on Super Tens)

So, do you want a BMW, or some hacked together chain drive bike built who knows where? :hide
    Jarno likes this.
  7. Jarno

Jarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not an issue in Hungary to buy a stock GS1250, but it is an issue to testdrive one. BMW has a nasty habbid of only sending out fully farkeled BMW's including all the bike magazine's. I never saw a stock BMW!

What I mean with weight distribution is that the GS1250 has the weight down low, and the GS850 has it up high. I even saw a number of reviews that mentioned the GS1250 is easier to handle because of the low center of weight.
  8. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    I guess several others agree with you on the weight distribution. But there's got to be some advantages of a narrower bike as well.
  9. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    It would help if you take a minute to add your location to your profile. It gives context to your posts and allows others to give better answers. If we knew you were in Hungary, that may have changed some of the responses. And I've never seen a base model GS of any flavor, though I have seen a few adverts for them.
    Jarno likes this.
  10. Jarno

Jarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are right, Location added!
    Dirty bike likes this.
  11. Jarno

Jarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mostly riding your trails at higher speeds is in favour of the GS850, but slow speed and technical riding almost always is in favour of the Big GS.

Since I will be riding mostly on TET routes, the speed wont be too high.

It's a tough decision! I personally think the non adv GS850 would be the best bike to combine road riding and offroad riding. The engine also seems fine for two up. But BMW put a 15ltr tank on it?!
  12. heatmizr

heatmizr n00b-tastic

Oddometer:
    It's the range that matters. I regularly get 55-57mpg with my 850gs. I fill up with over 200 mi on the clock as often as I do with 180-190.
    So not that bad.
  13. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    @Jarno - Friend, are you sure you understand what you're getting in to? You're looking at the wrong bikes for the TET.

"The Trans Euro Trail® is aimed at small and medium capacity trail bikes – bikes such as Yamaha’s WR250R and XT600 and XT660Z Tenere, CCM’s GP450, KTM’s 690 and Suzuki’s DRZ400. Larger bikes can tackle it but riders need to be more experienced and competent. Soft luggage, travelling light is the ethos – leave those panniers and armchairs at home. This is overlanding in its purest form."

We see this a lot in the US with the TAT and BDR rides. People gear up their big bikes and they suffer and break things and don't have as good a time as the people on smaller bikes. If you're truly going to be "mostly on TET routes", look at 250s for that. No one ever said "I wish I had a bigger, heavier, more powerful bike" while riding the TET or TAT. But I've seen and spoken to a lot of weary riders that wished they had a smaller, lighter bike.
    Jarno likes this.
  14. wiscolaw90

wiscolaw90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just had my F850 GSA delivered last weekend and it’s been absolutely amazing in the 700 miles I’ve put on it. It’s fun and nimble on the road, and just begs you to push it harder. I also think it’s pretty competent off road too. I’ve been without a bike for a couple of years and have never ridden off road before, but I was taking the bike on loose wet and dry gravel and sandy single track without any issues. It’s also as comfortable as the magazines/youtubers all say. I just can’t say enough good things about the bike.
    Jarno likes this.
  15. Jarno

Jarno Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your comment, appriciate the input.

I agree with everything you say, but I can also add that it is an adventure on it's own to ride a TET on a big Enduro bike! I owned a Tenere xt660Z and I did not find the bike easier to ride than my KTM 990ADV. I drove a loaded KTM LC4 640ADV from Malaga in spain to Dakar. And although I admit that riding offroad on a light trailbike makes riding more fun, it does not necessarily make the trip more fun. I travell with wolfman softluggage and often don't even setup a tent. I bring a tarp and often I don't even use it.

Offcourse I have only seen the TET routes from youtube, and I know the TET trails in Hungary. They never seems too hard (from my chair). Personally I think the tires are key to the suc6 of a trip. Many people who use a big ADv bike use 50/50 compound, and this in my opinion the biggest difference between fun and a bad trip. I used to run Michelin deserts on my previous bikes and it made riding feeleasy compared to a TKC80 for example. I know the deserts won't fit the BMW's, but I can surely find something simmilar.
  16. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They want to sell you fully optioned Bikes only im a no frills person they are hard to get Dealers say that option less bikes have no resale
  17. Yycools

Yycools Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both the R1200GSA and F800GS, and I have ridden the 850GS and GSA. I have to say that I am in the camp of the R1250GS, even without many options, the raw power and comfort of the 1200/1250 can't be matched by the parallel twins. the F800/850 suppose to be more offroad capable, but a fully loaded 850GSA is about the same weight as a regular 1250GS, and it will be a PITA to pick up if you drop it compare to the boxer twin. I think if you have the option of a base model 1250GS, it's like a blank canvas that you can make it your own. Given the weight of the F850GSA (244kgs/537lbs), it's about the same as the 1250GS with a lot less power. Having the options of buy a 1250GS (even a base model) at around the same price as a 850GSA should be an easy choice. I know this is the Parallel board, but the F bikes and R bikes are on two different levels. In terms of off road capability, a F850GSA is about the same as a regular 1250GS at this point because of the weight and higher center of gravity. the 850GSA maybe a little better at rocky terrain with the 21 inch front, but the 1250 will be a much better all rounder. At where I live (Singapore) the 850GSA is about 28K USD and the 1250 is about 45K USD, which make the decision much easier. But yeah, 1250GS all the way, don't get tempered by the electrics, it'll only give you more trouble than it's worth, especially if you're planning to take it off road...
    Jarno likes this.
  18. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Not the 1250 but I have experience with the 2018 model r1200gsa WC, I previously had from new 2014 gsa wc TE with every single option fitted, had nothing but trouble with the ESA,gsap etc ,etc.
    Gave up on the bike at 34 months old and a bill for £3500 for new esa shocks and switchgear (luckily paid for under warranty).
    UK dealers always push the higher spec models (higher profit margins) but I decided to buy what we refer to as a Billy Basic Bike, a basic spec but i added some options such as panniers rails, sat nav prep,heated grips, spotlights, tpms and cruise control. (in doing so I saved almost £30000)
    Did not want ESA, SOS, TFT screen, GSAP etc so the bike was a special order from the factory.
    I have had 3 separate BMW technicians (one an ex Ohlins UK technician ) who all state that it is a better bike for not having ESA and all the electronic bits especially in the handling stakes, sales director at the dealershp didn't believe them so i let him test ride the bike and he came back very subdued and in total agreement .
    Biggest issue is when riding two up with luggage rather than letting the electronics set the suspension I am cruelly forced to reach down and turn the adjuster on the rear shock and it wastes 10 whole seconds of my life.

As a keeper special order a basic with the bits you actually want and need and then if you feel the need upgrade the suspension to Ohilns, Wilbers etc at a later date if you want to , you will have a better bike
  19. Gordon Bennett

Gordon Bennett I know

Oddometer:
    £30,000?
    I had no idea the add ons were so expensive...
  20. neil w

neil w Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Little mobile phone . big fingers
    Gordon Bennett likes this.