1250GSA - Scorpion Trail II handling

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by RPDATA, Jun 12, 2019.

1. RPDATA

RPDATA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys.

Installed these after the reviews of riders who swear by them.

Mine seem to have some weird handling characteristics. The sensation is they want to follow any imperfections in the road and the bike feels like it's dancing underneath me as if the surface was slipper . Bit annoying. Just a lot of movement. I have 500kms on them now. I've run different tires on my 1200 and 1250 including Anakee 3, TKC70, PR4, A41, and Karoo 3. None of these tires did this except the TKC70s which I ended up returning.

Has anyone noticed this with the Pirelli Scorpion trail ii?
  2. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short answer no. I have 2 gsadv running them, i did find the bikes were quick to move around when looking away off the road, that took a couple of rides to adapt to. I put the characteristic down to the tyres' ease of turn in and direction change. I have yet to have one slip under me, they stick.:*sip*
    LAFS likes this.
  3. simmo1

simmo1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    36/42 tyre pressures? On mine if the front go much lower they follow grooves, whatever the tyre
  4. The Cone of Silence

The Cone of Silence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm riding a R1200GSA LC and running my Trail IIs at 34 - 38 so we're in the same ballpark. I've read reports of people running the Scorpion Trail IIs at 31-35 or so and being much happier with behaviour. I tried that for a while and didn't notice much difference.
  5. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found that Pirellis like a warm environment. It is unlikely that in Canada you are getting them hot enough to work as they should.

I note that the guys from more northern parts of Oz are happy with them and they are my tyre of choice in SE Asia with warmer ground (it's not about air temperature - think track temperature), but they don't work for me in southern Oz at all. Squirrely, slippery etc.

Personal opinion only - maybe play with the pressures a little. I have found that dropping the front to 34 PSI on the Contential TKC 70 works a treat when loaded up, but doing the same on the Avons makes them not so happy.
  6. RPDATA

RPDATA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm running 38/42. Tried 36/40 as well. Temps in Canada have been mid low 20s(celcius) so yes the pavement is not really hot yet
  7. RPDATA

RPDATA Adventurer

Oddometer:

Really interesting about the temperatures having an impact.
  8. RPDATA

RPDATA Adventurer

Oddometer:

I'll give 34/38 a try and see what happens.
  9. Deano747

Deano747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    38 in the rear seems too low for pavement use. Sure it's not the rear moving around?
  10. RPDATA

RPDATA Adventurer

Oddometer:

I ended up trying different pressures....and nothing seems to change. Same strange not planted too much moving around feeling.
  11. LAFS

LAFS Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have about 3K on mine no feeling like that.

If they wear out nicely they will be my tire of choice from now on.

40/42
    wasproxy likes this.
  12. wasproxy

wasproxy Global Moto Tourer

Oddometer:
    Same here
    500 miles on a new set, very sure-footed, huge upgrade over stock Anakees, love them
    38/42
  13. vanha

vanha Finnspacko

Oddometer:
    I get the same feeling with STRs.. Reducing front tire pressure helped a bit for the vague feeling. And those are very loud between 120-135km/h.
    I was thinking of buying Trail 2s to be the next set but I’m not so convinced about Pirelli quality anymore even if those both sets have been praised by many inmates..
  14. GrusMC

GrusMC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had ST2 on my 1290 and it held it's it' even in rain. Will try Road 5 trail after A3 to compare. I know the ST2 well after many sets. Find what works for you and stick with it and learn the limits of the tyre both dry n wet. Especially on wet surface.
  15. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Mine felt weird the first couple hundred miles after coming off the STRs. But now they’re rock steady.
  16. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Using the ST2 for the first time on my 2015 GSA. Have about 2K miles so far and love them. Running ~36/40 with luggage loaded (touring ready).
  17. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had them o my GS a couple years ago and still remember them as my favorite best handling tires I have used. Could be a quality issue these days if they changed to a different factory? Only reason I switched to Rally STRs is for a little more offroad performance. The price I paid for STRs last time has me looking for alternatives but what other tires will work as well? Tourance as good on pavement but a no go offroad. Tried all the Michelin options. Still think Pirelli is number one at this time hope someone comes onboard with similar tires at a lower price point soon