125cc adventure through europe. 8500km

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JoppeBos, Aug 16, 2020.

1. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    haha yeah you are right. We wanted to have a wine in a pack and not in a bottle since it travels much better. The Spanish could provide us that ;)
    My license is a European motorcycle license. We need to have it for any type of motorcycle. I think only in Belgium you can drive 125cc with a car license.
  2. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think maybe they thought you didn't have a full licence because you're on 125's? A lot of people assume they're only for learners, which is a pity.
    Steril and Ginger Beard like this.
  3. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Shoot, here in the USA, people think that anything under 1000 cc is a "beginner's bike". We miss out on most of the cool small displacement bikes.
  4. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    Great RR so far.
    Keep it coming - I'm in for the ride :-)
  5. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Every time a journo calls a 650 a 'first big bike', a puppy drowns and Soichiro Honda turns in his grave.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Man, it's been a while since I've seen Pushki. Cool shot!

[​IMG]
  7. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same in France: driving a 125 with a car license is legal.
  8. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, if your car driving license is at least 2 years old (which means you are at least 20 years old) AND you follow a 7 hours training course with 2 hours of theory, 2 hours of learning to know your vehicle and 3 hours of riding in town and out of town with an instructor.
  9. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must depends of the age of your driving license... my father (DL 1956) rode his Vespa with his car license. I can’t speak for myself as I had my motorcycle licence in 1971 (16 years old) and... if I had money I could have had a Munch... when was this new law created?
  10. Convoluto

Convoluto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, it's customary in southern Europe to distribute the "good", or expensive, wine bottled, but the "not-so-good" or cheap wine in packs or "bricks". There is some packed or "bricked" wine which is also good, but it is not as readily available as the "good" bottled wine. I hope that "vin d'Espagne" was moderately good, at least.

Yeah, it has to be for what you did, but was it an A1, A2 or a full-A license?

I don't exactly know what is a "learner" license -- in Spain it is either fully-licensed rider, or no rider at all. The licenses, however, here in Spain are tiered into A1 (up to 125cc and 15 HP maximum), A2 (up to 47 HP maximum) and A (no limits on type of bike). However, many people here never even try to get an A license because they have no intention whatsoever of going to any kind of bigger bike, and they are not considered "learners" just for having an A2 license, for example.

Of note is the peculiarity that in Spain, provided you have at least 3 years of experience with a car license (B license), you are legally allowed to use any motorcycle suitable for an A1 motorbike license (without any course or additional training being mandatory for that). Some countries, like Poland, Bulgaria, Portugal and Slovakia have the same or even easier legislation for car drivers to use A1 motorcycles. Some places, like France and Belgium, require some additional training (but without any official tests conducted) for car drivers who want to use 125cc motorcycles.
    Steril likes this.
  11. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    good stuff. looking forward to more.
  12. Olirider

Olirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are right. You don't need the training if you had your car driving license before 1980 march 1st or you drove a 125 cc with a car driving license before 2011.

Link In French : https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F45
  13. Great adventure on great bikes. How BMW persuaded people that they need a GS for small roads is a great tribute to their marketing. I travelled all over northern China on a HondaC50. Not troubles. It was my fathers and he was a painter. He carried pots and brushes and paint on his Honda-most people had bicycles then. Small bikes are great. I like the wine, makes me thirsty, but drink tea instead.
    Steril and barakamonk like this.
  14. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And we continue straight through North-Italy. We where only for 1 week on the road and I started to realize that 2 months away would be a long long time. We knew each other very well, but being 24/7 together was something new and we had to get used to that slowly. We didn't had any real arguments yet, but you could feel some pressure building up. If you put two people together for a long enough time, you will get sex or a fight. That first one is out of the question sort of.

Great composition in the picture. fore, mid and background.
    DSC02968.JPG

IMG_20200708_131712.jpg

We where searching for our daily swim. I just clicked a random spot on google maps and we went for it. Most of the time when we swim there is no one, but this time it was different.
    We arrived at a place with a sign saying "Oasis die Pensionatas". Everywhere you would look there where older guys chilling, drinking, swimming and playing some local game.
    It explains the number of cases in Italy, in the Netherlands most older people I know are sitting in there home, not much else. But these guys where alive and enjoying it!

Sadly I did not take a picture of it, but I will try to explain the situation. In the middle of the river was a massive rock and on this rock was a beach chair with one guy sitting in it.
    He was pointing, commanding, calling people upon his rock for a quick chat. He had the classic macho mafia look and we where sure it could only be...The Don!

Had a chat with some guys with google translate while I was cooking some eggs. After a few minutes trying to translate a sentence from a guy I finally understood what he said. "your egg is burned". ;)
    We got some cherries from 1 dude and we left. Amazing to see older people having there pension like this. The picture may not show much, but we where very inspired by the talk and way of living.
    DSC02941.JPG

Another day, another castle.
    DSC02948.JPG

The castle is from the times when Venice was a super rich and influential city state.
    DSC02950.JPG

Attached Files:

15. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We arrived late at night at Lake Garda.
    Mostly super touristic, but now with corona there was no one.

Almost no one...
    DSC02960.JPG

Of course another swim. One of the best ones yet. The temperature and the views are only getting better!
    DSC02959.JPG

The mountains is where we wanted to be so the next day we decided to ride closer to the alps.

Beautiful mountain village we just found. Of course we had to try the water and go for a little nap there.
    DSC02972.JPG

We continued and made the choice once again for camping. we where getting spoiled and after this camping we decided enough is enough. We payed 16.50pp for one night, on a piece of grass. We only took one more camping our whole trip after this one.
    DSC02977.JPG

Next day. Close to the Slovenian border already
    DSC02991.JPG
    DSC02996.JPG

We took naps, siesta, dutjes (in dutch) however you would call it. We took them often since it improved both our mood immensely and also our will to continue driving. It also just really nice to stop somewhere for an hour of two and just absorb where you are.
    Yes, sometimes I nap with my eyes open...
    After this picture I decided to get rid of whatever you can call it that was growing on my face.
    IMG_20200709_150957.jpg
    Behind this mountain in Slovenia. It was a great climb through the forest. We where sure did not want to camp again for a long long time so we started to search for a spot. Amazing picture with the sun going down and giving the contrast of the mountains and the road in shadow.
    DSC02999.JPG

So much more upcoming!
    klaviator, forgorin, NSFW and 10 others like this.
  16. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure when it started. but there marketing did indeed a good job to keep on selling bigger and bigger engines.
    The story of your father sounds amazing, it reminds me of a Dutch painter who rode across Indonesia in colonial times. (it was a dutch colony)
    There is a museum in Amsterdam that goes in-depth into his life and as a kid is was already super inspiring. You can see his painting gear on the back.
    36609490822_c9a3418bf1_b.jpg
  17. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Patiently waiting for the next installment! :-)
  18. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently moving to Germany to live there for a couple of years. so did not find the time to continue the report. But found some time, so here we go!

So we drove over a massive mountain to reach Slovenia, but when we arrived at the top we noticed that to road was broken up. We asked a woman, the only person living up there, if it was really closed or just closed for cars and we could pass. She said that the whole road was completely gone and you could not even walk to Italy. Too bad.
    We sat down there for a some time. Hearing the cow bells all around us echoing through the valley. We decided to not go down again today, since we where hungry and tired. We started looking for a wildcamp spot in the valley, but we couldn't find a good spot without being spotted. So I asked the woman if we may stay here for the night. The said it was "no problemo" and we could pitch our tent wherever we wanted.

20200709_194753.jpg
    The small houses where rented to hikers. but because of Covid there was nobody in northern Italy.
    DSC03011.JPG

We left early the next morning and entered Slovenia. Which gave us an amazing view right away. The water is freaking cold tho and swimming was as good as offer except for Wim Hofman.
    DSC03017.JPG
    We where kinda lost and not sure what to visit next. So we stopped on someone's property for a few minutes. The owner came out to hear our stories and share his. Super friendly dude and he even gave us some fresh fruits straight out of the yard.
    IMG_20200711_102631.jpg

In Slovenia I would say we slowly started to be a bit 'annoyed' by each other. The honeymoon phase was over and we needed to talk probably, which we didn't really do until it got into an argument. It is just like any relationship.
    Jan got annoyed because of how picky I can be what we cook or where we are going for example
    I was getting pretty annoyed by the calls, the letters, the rocks and whatever he was collecting for his girlfriend along the way.
    After a snicker and Slovenian wine we where all good again.

Slovenia was cold in the evening. For hours you drive without seeing anyone, except when you are of course changing your pants. Than a car appears out of the blue ;)
    IMG_20200710_192621.jpg

We where setting up on a new wild spot when mist started to appear. Gave a cool effect

DSC03045.JPG

DSC03038.JPG

Of course, we completed the 6 weeks so it worked out in the end. But we would be interested to hear some thoughts or tips people have if you stay 24/7 together with a buddy and keep the vibes good. I am sure some of you guys can relate. (Inviting women is not an option when your in the middle of the forest)
    klaviator, Stubanger, Kyron and 8 others like this.
  19. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Six weeks eiding together, 24/7, split for a couple of days every once in a while. Or get drunk/high together from time to time.
    roadcapDen and Ginger Beard like this.
  20. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is something we where thinking about, but we didn't pull the trigger on it, because we shared our camping gear. I carried the stove for example. Next time I would like to give it a try
    klaviator and Ginger Beard like this.