125cc adventure through europe. 8500km

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JoppeBos, Aug 16, 2020.

1. LS650

LS650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always ride alone. I find it's rare to find a riding partner who is on the same 'wavelength' and that I can ride along with for more than a couple of hours.
  2. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    I have learned the hard way, that I can't spend time with anyone 24/7 for an extended period of time without feeling the desire to throttle them.
    My solution to the problem is to spend time alone. Sometimes a few hours here and there is enough, other times a couple of days is needed.
    There is nothing wrong with splitting up from time to time when on a journey.
    RICK IN BALI, Ginger Beard and pete3 like this.
  3. barakamonk

barakamonk Sprintio Rally Team - Dakar 202x Malle Moto

Oddometer:
    Great report, @JoppeBos :clap

So many things remind me of how amazing it is to get outside your own bubble when you are young! I came across your thread because I'm currently planning a trip to the East (passing through Turkey) starting end of this month (Sept. 2020). You are helping me greatly in leaning towards a 125cc reliable bike for this adventure :D

My first ever real trip (13 years ago now) included crossing The Netherlands on single-speed bicycles and a total of 4 months of 24/7 with my good old friend from school who was a way more experienced camper than me and made it clear we should each have our own camping tent, so at least you could have some personal space and time and privacy at the end of each day.

I recall it also helped a lot the fact that we were both single and free (we both left our jobs and our girlfriends behind), so it was really cool to party together from time to time (Couchsurfing already going strong back in 2007), and I'm sure that also helped to "release the tension" among male friends!

Another piece of wisdom I learned over the years about traveling companions --whether friends, partners, family, etc..-- is to never engage in an argument before EATING. That seems to be extremely important, believe me ;-)

Still, we both had agreed before our adventure even began that "real" traveling is done alone -- that is when you are truly exploring your own self and also when you are "forced" to interact with other people the most, even if you don't even speak the basics of their language. So after the 4-month mark, when my friend wanted to skip Mongolia and go see an ex-girlfriend in China, it was completely in good terms that we parted and we remain good friends until today.

Anxiously waiting to hear how you made it to Turkey :super

Doie!
    Stubanger, squadraquota and pete3 like this.
  4. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    barakamonk,

125cc´s are the AK47s of the bike world. Nothing wrong with them if you have the time to travel at a slower pace and are prepared to do a lot more oil changes.
    Good luck!
  5. barakamonk

Oddometer:
    Marvellous analogy, @pete3

Which one would you recommend for a Madrid-Tokyo overlander?
    And how much more frequent oil changes do I have to prepare for?
    Like every 3.000 kms?

I'm getting only a little bit worried by the fact that the little engine will suffer from the lack of oxygen when heading up into the --very high-- heights of Central Asia, Caucasus and the lot.
  6. squadraquota

squadraquota mostly harmless

Oddometer:
    you probably already checked this https://advrider.com/f/threads/a-solo-trip-to-mongolia-on-a-125cc.1440429/?
    I’m sure guerreronegro’s adventure offers some good info about your questions
    pete3 and barakamonk like this.
  7. barakamonk

Oddometer:
    pete3 and squadraquota like this.
  8. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is JoppeBos´report, so I´ll keep it short. I´d go with a Yamaha YBR 125 just like the JoppeBos did. Light, seems to be somewhat common in Asia, EFI for those higher altitudes.
    Dunno about the YBR, on my Honda FES 125 Pantheon I have to change oil every 2000 km IIRC.

The Honda Varadero 125cc is a great bike in the 125cc class though, 15 HP instead of 11 HP of the YBR, topspeed 110 km/h instead of 100 km/h, but the weight is 156 kg instead of 126 kg. I´d like my bike as light as possible but then I am more a traveller than a rider.
    barakamonk likes this.
  9. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    May we have another installment, please? :-)
    forgorin, squadraquota and Don T like this.
  10. Marius356

Marius356 now aircooled... ❄

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Subscribed!

Here in Germany the 125 cc bikes are subsidised so that the 16-year-olds are able to afford a new bike and most likely stay with the brand. The Yamaha WR125 for example are a few grand cheaper than the 250s.
    barakamonk and 5N-ADV like this.
  11. JoppeBos

JoppeBos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry for not having continued the report. Life got in the way. I moved to Germany, got my first job out of school and now also a girlfriend! Is this what they call a grown-up?
    There are plans being made for next year to make another motorcycle trip with my buddy Jan. We are thinking about Africa or Asia for a few months. Probably on a small motorcycle again. YBR, Varedero or a WR125. who knows.
    We would like to try to go our own routes every few days for next trip. To see if it helps with the dynamics of wanting to travel alone, but also want to share the experience with someone.

Looking forward to it!
  12. pete3

pete3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You are forgiven, JoppeBos! Just post another installment .... :D
    Really digging your trip so far. Oh to be young again.

By all means carry on with your trip report when you have the time.
  13. barakamonk

Oddometer:
    What do you mean "ah, to be young again", @pete3 ? :chace

I'm almost 40 now and I've never been freer in my life, both financially and specially mentally!

For whom it may concern, I ended up buying a 40-year old (just like me!) €750 Yamaha SR250 for my Madrid-Tokyo odissey.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy to report that so far, so good.

15.000 kms since I left Madrid, three oil changes, no major problems, with lots of off-road dirt tracks, mud and even some river crossings.

Currently waiting in Turkey for land borders to re-open, which should happen soon now that weather is getting warmer.

@JoppeBos , congratulations on the girlfriend and growing up bit . And about your future travels, don't even think about it, choose Africa and the smallest bike possible!

Safe travels everyone.
    Steril likes this.
  14. RICK IN BALI

RICK IN BALI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think there is a syndrome for that way of thinking.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love these small bike ride reports. Great job on this one.:thumb:thumb:thumb