12GSA v 8GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dieselboy, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    I owned an R12GSA for 24000 miles. Sold it and bought a KLR650 for 15000 miles. Crashed it :grim and bought the F8GS.

I had the opportunity to ride my old 12 yesterday in Daytona. (Thanks, Dan.)

I am completely satisfied with my choice of the 800. The 1200 felt sluggish (it was in tune) and o'brother heavy. The rotax engine was smoother and the bike was far more responsive to throttle inputs.

On the 12, it was like I was driving a supertanker.

I'm 6'2" and 190 lbs. I have no fears about riding big bikes. I put 54000 on a K12LT. But the 800 is such a good comuter which is where I spend most of my time (sadly).

For the long haul, the 12 would be great, as long as you weren't working crowds or dirt at the distant end. With some windshield work, I think the 800 will compete with the 12 just fine for distance runs. Unless you want to run a microwave. The missing 320 watts is significant.:deal

I'm not a dirt rider, so I'm not making an evaluation of the off-road capabilities of the 800. I know there are better bikes out there for the technicals. But for me, it was a validation of my last purchase choice because I was offered a great deal on another 12GSA and passed it up to take the smaller bike.

I'm satisfied. :thumb
  2. 2Evil4U

2Evil4U Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1 How WILL you heat your Latte's???

:lol3

Congrats on the F8. I rode with one of the new F6.5s last week and it was a very nice piece.
  3. nat_han

nat_han 2 Wheelers By Choice.. =]

Oddometer:
    any way to change the battery or rectifier to compensate for the lost of 320W power of the f8gs to compete with the 12adv?

wanna mod to run a microwave! :rofl
  4. TheCowboy

TheCowboy back in the saddle again

Oddometer:
    I think all of us 800 owners are gonna need more juice. I'm sure someone will come up with a more powerfull bolt-on alternator? or some kind of mod.

I wired my Gerbings G3 gloves and jacket direct to the battery and it works great, but sooner or later I want heated socks and pants up here in Minny-Sota so I need more juice.

Cowboy2:ricky
  5. Dieselboy

Dieselboy Journey not Destination

Oddometer:
    That would be nice to know

Fortunately, my venture into the KLR caused me to go frugal with the electronics. I am now coming "up" to the 800's capacity. Still, it was very nice having 700+ watts on that 1200.