12K 850 Valve Adjustment Tutorial?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by jmcarter, Jul 19, 2021.

1. jmcarter

jmcarter Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anyone find such or did everyone get the maintenance manual to perform or just submit to dealer rates?
    bobwolff68 likes this.
  2. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2021 goes into the dealer this week for it's 12k. I too couldn't find any walkthrough.
  3. Coach Z

Coach Z Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got mine back from the 12k, based on the tech's grumbling I'm pretty glad I didn't do it myself. It was their first 850 to have a 12k but he said it took nearly double as long as the "book" says
  4. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much they charge if you don't mind me asking?
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. Mine is due in a 1,000 miles and will be doing it in my garage unless I run into any warranty issues. Then put it all back together and into the shop she goes. Still wondering if I have the DLC issue I have seen on other bikes. I have 7 year extended warranty so not worried about the engine.
  6. LoydDobbler

LoydDobbler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am probably going to pull the trigger on a new 850 this fall or winter. Can you catch me up on what the DLC issue is? Also, I was not aware of an option for a 7 year warranty. What is the up charge for that? I don't mind doing work on bikes, but I also don't love it. And they actually have a pretty respected dealer in Santa Fe.
  7. jmcarter

Oddometer:
    Essentially it’s the Diamond Like Coating wearing off the rocker arms thus wearing the arm and cam lobe resulting in a VERY loud ticking sound from the cylinder head……see the “reliable?” thread in this sub-forum. Apparently not terribly common but crap happens.
    LoydDobbler likes this.
  8. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think bought the RPM1 plan. My F850GSA was only 13,500 I think after employee discount and 2500 rebate, why not. I also bought the tire and wheel plan. I bought the extended warranty because they paid for a throttle body and light switch on a 14 1200GSA with 198,00 miles. My wheel plan has already paid for a $1675 wheel. So there you have it.
    LoydDobbler likes this.
  9. jmcarter

Oddometer:
  10. bobwolff68

bobwolff68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my 850 with 12k miles back from service. I had done my oil change myself and noticed significant number of metal flakes and even chunks 2mm in size in my dirty oil. I freaked. Told the dealer when I took it in. They looked closely at the top end while starting the valve job and saw one of the camshafts was losing material.

Under warranty they replaced both camshafts and all rocker arms and changed the oil again. I'm happy to have that over with. And happy I looked carefully at my used oil.
    Dvarg likes this.