12k Mile Service (F800GS). Before or After winter?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by RetrogradE, Nov 29, 2010.

1. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:
    My bike is sitting in the garage after we got 12" of snow over the weekend. It's due for the 12k mile service but I'm not sure if I should get it done before winter storage or in the spring. I'll put a few miles on the bike over the winter, but not many.

Thanks.

2. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    My thoughts are that during riding season your oil starts to become acidic. It also pickups some moisture. Changing it now gets that acid content out of the engine, then come spring your ready to go. Also if the 12K includes a brake fluid flush your getting that corrosion causing moisture out of your brake system.
  3. GeorgeinVA

GeorgeinVA Beemers Uber Alles

Oddometer:
    +1 On now for the reasons towpro mentioned. If you get an early spring you will lose riding doing what could haven been done earlier.
  4. tmex

tmex Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can change the oil and flush the brakes yourself. You should do this for the reasons mentioned. Maybe even do a coolant system flush as well. For the 12k service, I would wait until spring and keep your money. Price vary widely, but I would expect to get nicked for $400-$600 for the 12k mile service.