12v Socket for Charger

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Kickstand Down, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Kickstand Down

Kickstand Down Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I poked around a bit, but I couldn’t seem to find confirmation specifically about BMW motorcycle hella outlets. I’m trying to see if using a charger via the hella outlet will work. It seems like some folks say the outlet will function without the key as long as something is plugged in, but that was just forum chatter without brand specifics.

Can anyone confirm (2014 800GSA if it matters) whether or not I can charge the battery via the hella plug?

Thanks!
  2. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    With the correct Canbus capable charger, sure.

Didn't BMW install a battery pigtail?

:hide
  3. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    It is not a reliable connection. For that reason, many owners reconnect that socket to the battery via a modern "fusebox" (whether it uses actual fuses or not), thereby enabling reliable charging as well as safe use of higher-wattage heated gear, air compressor and other accessories without CANbus interruptions. You choose whether you want it switched or always hot, too. Or for simplicity, you can always attach an SAE cable to the battery terminals.
  4. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Attach an SAE cable to the battery terminals. Take the guesswork out of it.

Plus, if you put it where you can get to it easily, you can attach a USB adapter to the end and use it while you're riding to power things like your cell phone.

Chris
  5. Kickstand Down

Oddometer:
    BMW did not install a pigtail, but I’ve got pigtails. I was hoping for an option that didn’t leave a dangler on the bike.

I was considering a Ctek mus-4.3, which says it’s compatible with BMW canbus.
  6. Kickstand Down

Oddometer:
    I’ve got a hella to usb for such things while the bike is on. Though, that just made me realize that if My phone will charge from the port while the bike is off, a charger should work via the port as well. Will test!
  7. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run a couple of USB and SAE cables up to the front of the bike in the fork area. They come out from under the faux gas tank on my F800GT. You can't see them unless I'm using them. I can charge my phone on one. For the SAE cable, I can put the USB adapter on the end and use that to charge my DeLorme inReach SE. USB connections seem to work better these days than a 12-volt adapter for versatility.

If I ever get to the point where I don't ride in the winter and need to connect a battery charger, the SAE cable is there for that. No muss, no fuss. Contrary to what most BMW owners believe, you don't have to buy CANBUS compatible accessories for everything. Especially battery chargers.

Chris
  8. Retired and lovin it

Retired and lovin it Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here I have a Tender connector came on bike plus the BMW socket and pigtail (which I have compatible male plugs for JIC) and one connector to power my GPS when I am not charging. BMW GS side view of pigtails.JPG
  9. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    There is no advantage to the socket. So long as CANbus is not interfering, the flow of electrons via the socket will perform just as well as electrons flowing via an SAE cable.
  10. Morro

Morro like a ship in the night

Oddometer:
  11. Kickstand Down

Oddometer:
    Well sure, but I can pop the plug out and not have a pigtail hanging out somewhere. I’m not asking for the sake of winter storage. I’m asking for the sake of keeping a bike regularly used year round topped up so it cranks after sitting in a parking lot all day in 20 degree weather.

Trying to keep those CCAs maxed out lol.