'13 & '14 F800 GS Shock Bolt Design

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by inazone, Aug 7, 2013.

1. inazone

inazone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's input on this stuff. Seems like the shock bolt debate will go on forever :norton

I enjoy the BMW bikes and the dealer support. Unfortunately, I've broken a few things on my previous BMW G650X-C which was suppose to hold up to off-road riding. That ended up being a long expensive road as I continued to add stuff to beef it up. I'm now a bit shy about buying another BMW with a design that needs to be addressed the day I roll it off the show room floor.

I bet the 800GS is an awesome bike for the intended purpose. I sure love the looks of the thing, especially the way it looks all loaded up and ready for an adventure.

Just wish I had $75K I could throw at a custom bike that was 300lbs, with ABS, cruise control, luggage, and could handle a super cross track. :evil
  2. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to leave you with the impression that I dislike the bike. Mine is a 2009 model, it has upgraded suspension, I have dealt with the throttle issue and it sports a steering stabilizer. It handles very well and I have not broken anything. I just recognized the bikes and my limits.

I still like it as a fire road type bike. It is far better than it was stock and has been trouble free.
  3. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    So ... THIS is my damn problem...
    Thanks Snowy .... :clap
  4. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    hey snowy, i too am gonna have a go at a complete tear down and then rebiuld of the shock mount area, have you got any ideas? im thinking something along the lines of square tubing for the shock eyelet to bolt into, then running it through two different cross member tubes towards air box, with 5/16 gusseting thoughout. then i can make a custom mount for the seat latch.
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was going to strip it right down, disconnect the CPU etc, and make a copy of the existing heavy bracket and weld it in place so that there's just enough width for the shock mount.

Just remember that this Canbus system can give you trouble if you aren't careful when welding. Earth as close to the weld as you can. Disconnect the battery and I'm going to unplug the control units in front of the battery and under the seat.

I'm still investigating how hard it is to remove the rear sub frame and tank as a single unit.

On the up side, I just got "retired" from my job with payout that means I have until Xmas to find a new job. I'm thinking part time work and full time bike modification.
  6. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    yeah iv welded on the frame already, all i did was take battery out, but when and if i do this mod itll be stripped completely, with rear sub frame, tank, air box, battery, and rear abs lines removed. i hope it sells so i dont have to do this, but if it doesn't so be it