'13 F700GS EWS Failure, Any Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rronalds, May 22, 2020.

1. Rronalds

Rronalds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mobile office.jpg Also, here's the new mobile office.....
  2. Rronalds

Rronalds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The question still remains for me whether the loose battery connections could have caused all this, or whether there is something else happening here that I need to worry about, even after I put in a new ring antenna.
  3. beemerjim

beemerjim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recently got a f650gs twin, so I'm following this with great interest.
    Where in Mass are you?
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't answer that with certainty, but I really doubt this caused the ring failure. They have been known to act up, unfortunately.....and I should get a spare for myself. These batt terminals loosen easily and need to be checked fairly often, as I suppose you have figured. Where did you get the ring, now that I think I better have one on hand too?
  5. beemerjim

Oddometer:
    Rronalds
    I have a spare ring, if you want to try it. I have no idea if it's any good or not.
    I bought it on ebay in the original box, but when I checked the part # it did not match the one on the box. Apparently someone bought a new one and put the old one in the box, and probably installed the new one. The guy I bought it from had no idea what it was, and when I explained the discrepancy to him, refunded my money and told me to keep it. I didn't try prying it open like you did, so i have no idea what it looks like inside.
    I got it because when i first got my bike, one time I got the dreaded EWS signal. I had left a phone charging on the bike while parked, so I suspect it sucked a surface charge off the battery--enough to cause the fault. After several tries and 10 or so minutes later the bike started & has been fine ever since, but after reading the stories, and finding out what EWS meant, I decided to have a spare.
    So you're welcome to try it, & if you're near by that would make it easy.

Jim
  6. Rronalds

Rronalds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, that's very nice! I am supposed to be getting a new one in the mail tomorrow, so hopefully that is all I need. I'll post an update of the vroom vroom or lack thereof when I know...
    [​IMG]

I'm in the Amherst/Northampton area.
  7. beemerjim

Oddometer:
    I’m in Hatfield
    If yours doesn’t show up & you wanna try mine, pm me your contact info it can be arranged
    Jim
  8. Rronalds

Rronalds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's where the Fedex truck is right now. Can you tell I'm anxious for it to arrive? ;)

Attached Files:

9. Rronalds

Rronalds Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The ring antenna fixed it. Put the new part in, put the whole bike back together, and it works just fine, though still has an engine light symbol, but maybe that is just something that needs to be reset? The EWS warning is gone.
  10. beemerjim

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it. That's a relief for sure, and I suspect it just needs to be reset. I'm tempted to get a gs 911 to read and reset the computer, but haven't yet. I have a couple buddies who would go in on one, so, when the right deal comes along it'll probably happen.
    Happy riding

Jim