'13 F700GS shop manual

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by vasuvius, Apr 7, 2017.

1. vasuvius

vasuvius wannabe something ... don't know what

Oddometer:
    Looking to buy one though seems to be a bit pricey at $120 or so.
    The real issue is that it's a Windoze specific DVD - all the computers we have are Macs and none have Optical drives any more.
    Is there a more 21st century technology friendly manual available?

I could possibly run Windoze in VMWare or any other virtualization container, but still the lack of an Optical drive is a challenge.

Thanks, V.
  2. yaycep

yaycep Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are all DVDs now, unfortunately, and getting more and more complicated to use.

Not that I'm endorsing any piracy, but if you search hard enough you can possibly find an ISO image on the net.
  3. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    That is sad. I don't like the idea of software or data piracy at all - not sure what options I have. Buy a cheap Windoze laptop with a DVD drive I suppose. :-(
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    no option to get a usb optical drive for your mac ?

once the dvd is installed and registered a "backup" copy of the dvd can be locally installed on your hard drive. the dvd itself has an option to do this.
  5. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    What data/file format is the backup ? Is it a pdf or some other OS/computer agnostic format?

I see a lot of people selling these DVDs online for 10-12 bucks. I'm guessing they bought one and figure out how to make copies.
  6. dpike

Oddometer:
    it's much more convoluted than a simple single file it reads from.

i initially picked up one of those ripped ones for my wife's g650 and it didn't work.

there is also a key code to the dvd that has maybe 4 uses, i'm sure it's not a very complex file/key check but there is some sort of registration check.
  7. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    hah. i don't have a problem paying 120 bucks for the DVD. the usability - getting a windoze machine, dvd drive and needing both handy to be able to use the manual is annoying.
    would have been nice to have a file that I could carry on my phone!

Oh well. Need the manual to be able to work on the bike. So, will find a solution.
  8. dpike

Oddometer:
    even if you have a computer at work, that you can reference it, and print what you need.
    the entire manual isn't printable tho, but it's easy enough to print sections of.
  9. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    While I do use Windoze at work, corporate cyber security policy prohibits Optical drives or any external drives for that matter :-) Can't do it at work :-(
    I'll get Windows to run on the Mac and buy a DVD drive.
  10. ADKADVRider

ADKADVRider Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tigershark48 likes this.
  11. vasuvius

Oddometer:
  12. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    Haha this is quite funny (to me)! You see, I work as a plant engineer at the new "spaceship building" called Apple Park and they bought TONS of equipment I can only use a PC to talk to. THE HORROR!!! We hide the PC's so not to offend....
    vasuvius likes this.
  13. vasuvius

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any Windoze at home since Apple released OS X 10.3 Panther almost 15 years ago. I don't like the recent incarnations of the MacBook and will likely move on to Ubuntu making the software limitations even worse.
    Kids these days don't even use computers. My teenagers do most of their homework and school assignments/projects on their phones.
  14. Effisland

Effisland Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ubuntu is its own animal, have got a couple machines running it and one dual boot with windoze, though most stuff Ubuntu is capable of reading. However just read Ubuntu interface may be changing to Gnome, will see what else changes. Not bad for a free OS!

The DVD is composed mainly of images, seems to me the file directory is plain and easy to understand. The only thing I find helpful with the DVD is part numbers and most of that is online now anyway. Back in the day (2010) I couldn't source the DVD and found an online copy (Arrrr) - glad I didn't spend money on it, would have been a waste. This forum is more help than the DVD would ever be.
  15. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. ChicoProf

ChicoProf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google "tradebit reviews"... poor ratings from consumers, partly as they seem to promise factory repair manuals, but proved hacked copies of things like Haynes that may not work or be complete. BBB gives them a c+.

Too bad!
  17. TheDuke

TheDuke Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Guess I will stick with Haynes. They have been adequate for me in the past. Too bad the BMW CD manual is so expensive.

Bob
    ChicoProf likes this.