'13 f800gs. Should I be scared off?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by OUTsane, Aug 31, 2013.

1. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, I'm ready for a second street legal bike. Something to supplement my SuMo. Since it doesn't have to be amazing in the twisties(got the SuMo for that) I'm liking the ADV category setup for highway commuting and fireroads/dirt. I really like the looks and feel of the f800gs, and have since it came out. I've been watching youtube vids and reviews lately, and people seem to like them well enough, with a few exceptions. I've heard that the '13 has some improvements, most notably the suspension which is supposed to be much better.

What I'm wondering is, should I be scared off by the problems I see posted here? Exploding wheel bearings, broken axles, cracked tanks, bent shock mounts, ect. I understand that the people that have problems are gonna be the ones to make the effort to post about them, and those with no problems have no reason to make the effort to post about all the problems they don't have, so it's probably a small percentage. It's still worrying though.

I feel drawn to the bike.

If you suggest that I stay away from it, I would appreciate your recommendation of a similar bike.

Thanks!:thumb
  2. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am very well pleased with MY F800gs.
    Picked it up first week in June this year, have 8500 miles on so far, 58 miles per gallon overall average, no problems of any kind.
    5 oil changes, and a squirt of SAE 50 oil on the drive chain every hundred or two miles.... and a few tires.
    The F800 is a GREAT bike, about as good an all rounder as you will find.
  3. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    I'll take it as a sign that the first reply is a positive one.:thumb What kind of riding have you done on it so far? I see that you're located up in Alaska, have you done a lot of off road?

Thanks!
  4. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    NO you shouldn't. These things happen 1 out 1000. Only the naggers will post here. The happy ones are all out there riding. Buy it and be happy. Before the internet no-one would have second guessed buying that type of bike. Now its all over the place. I have done 41k km problem free (knock on wood :lol3) in 15 month time.
  5. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mostly 2-up light-weight touring.
    Denali highway Cantwell to Paxson, Taylor highway to Dawson,
    Dalton to Deadhorse, just your basic Alaskan Tourist bike.
    No, I don't ride it "Off-Road" It's a street bike.
  6. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I enjoy the hell out of my bike.

It's got just over 1000 miles and has already been back to the dealer for 1 recall, 1 firmware update, and now has a cracked fuel tank cover that they will fix.

If still buy another one....

It's such a good bike, and shit happens. I'll just address those things as they pop up and move along.

I'm a huge KTM fan, and those things are NOT the holy grail of issue free motorbikes either, but when they are right, they are awesome.

I can't think of many motorcycles I have owned that didn't have their issues...
  7. Patj551

Patj551 Motorcycle & Empowerment Coach

Oddometer:
    I bought my '13 F800 a couple months ago. I've put 4500 miles on It so far. LOVE the bike! I do street riding & dirt fire roads 60/40. No problems with my bike. Decent power, handles well, comfortable. What's appealing to me is that when I spot a dirt road, now I can just go explore.
  8. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! My mind is put to ease by the fact that you guys all like the bike so much. I'm like 80% decided at this point, but that other 20% is still worried that I'm gonna be one of those guys who's makin' trips to the dealer all the time. I'm kinda surprised that BMW would have so many known issues. I always thought of them as being kinda highend and precise in their design and build process, at least more so than the Japanese bikes.

The KTMs are nice too, and I like them, but I've heard things about them too. I don't know if this is true, but I heard that the 990 is in it's last year and may be hard to find parts for in a couple years. After hearing that I saw that the 1190 was coming out, so it does look like it's being replaced. There are a lot of used 990s and 950s on the flea market though, so if I buy used I guess that would be a good option.
  9. Endurodude

Endurodude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had mine since 2010, and done 26000 miles. Excellent bike. To the best of my knowledge, the suspension's the same as it's always been (i.e., not great), but it's an easy fix, depending on what you fancy. The only thing that's ever been an issue is the gear indication, which sometimes doesn't work. Everything else has been excellent! Buy and ride!
  10. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    This is what I was referring to regarding the suspension.

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/g-PD1CQcSWw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>
  11. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    The dealer I spoke to told me that at 140lbs the fork might actually be over sprung for me, and I'd probably not bottom it. I know that I have to take everything the dealer says with a pinch of salt. I see the KTMs doing small jumps, and I'm hoping that the f800 won't completely bottom out if I catch a couple feet of air. I'm not talking MX sized jumps here, I'm talking about things like RR tracks, speed bumps, and the off road equivalent. Things that would be considered tame on my supermoto.
  12. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode it for 40.000km , crashed it many times ... and it's still alive and kicking without any problems :clap. Mine is a 2011, 30 years edition. The only things I had to change are the tires and a radiator that broke of during a crash :evil. As long as you don't use it for jumping, it will take you everywhere you wanna go ...

[​IMG]
  13. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    Over 70,000 km on my 2011 - includes a 3 month trip around Mexico and 6 1/2 month trip to South America. Extremely happy with a very trouble free bike.

One warranty repair - water pump. Replaced the clutch - my fault for not keeping enough slack in the cable.

Lots of modifications - best is the seat (stock sucks) and upgraded shocks as I would be two up for a couple of weeks on my trips.

I don't ride offroad as hard as many but it delivers all I want for a heavy bike.

No bike is without issues.
  14. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    A couple of you guys with 40k km one with 70k, sounds good. How is maintenance? Oil and valves, what are the intervals? Easy to get at?

What do you guys think of the electronic suspension adjustment that is available on the '13s? Useful or gimmicky? It's got normal, comfort, and sport modes.
  15. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have 2011 with 12,xxx miles and have not had any problems. Whiners complain about things and there is always someone that will ruin it for everybody else. Make up your own mind and make your own decisions. I am very happy with my bike. I've made a few major upgrades and have been even more satisfied.

My personal opinion is that electronic suspension is shite...... Like I said, it's personal opinion.

Oil change by the book is every 6k miles. I change mine every 3k or 4k and it is easy to do.

Valves requires adjustment every 12k miles per the book and is an extensive task, but it seems that most folks don't actually need a valve adjustment at 12k. I plan to have mine checked at 16k or 18k and will most likely do it myself.

Buy one because I said so and don't look back. ENJOY!!!
  16. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meh..... I don't think they "fixed" crap in regards to the suspension. Adding electronic dampening adjustment is a creature comfort, not a fix. That's the one spot BMW drops the ball IMO, way sup par suspension for such an expensive bike.

I'm saving the pennies now to upgrade mine, but don't be fooled into thinking it's a "cheap fix".
  17. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Just how bad is the suspension out of the box? I know that the fork is not adjustable, is the shock?
  18. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Bad" is a relative term in this case. For most riding, their suspension is adequate, but for the way they advertise the bike, I would expect better forks. A non adjustable front fork is some pretty hokey business on a $12-14k adv bike IMO.

Don't sweat it though. The way I look at it, most people upgrade suspension to match their riding style and build anyways.

If you don't really plan to thrash on it off road, you may decide to never even mess with it.
  19. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think a simple swap to some stiffer springs will help about 90% of owners with the suspension issues. I know that new springs was my first suspension upgrade and helped a lot.... No brake dive, easier handling, more confidence

For those wanting more off-road and tougher terrain, a fork upgrade is a good thing.
  20. oclv454

oclv454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just get the dang thing and start enjoying it. I've got 30,000 miles on mine, including a 13,000 (4,000 of which were dirt (mud) mile trip to Alaska last summer. Most of my riding is fire road and rough two track. Bike has been terrific. Maintenance is a snap....oil changes are silly simple. I have a K1300GT and a DRZ 400 and if I could only have one bike the F800 GS would be the one.