'13 f800gs. Should I be scared off?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by OUTsane, Aug 31, 2013.

1. djborden

djborden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just bought a 13 800 GS AND LOVE IT. Two days riding it and is ready for its 600 mile service :D.

Great bike... The 13 suspension is better than earlier bikes. For what you do, the suspension is defiantly put to the task! Mine has ESA traction control. While not 100% needed, I really like it a great deal.

Buy it and post a pic!!

David
  2. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to get out to the dealer in a few days, maybe a week, for a test ride, and if I like it as much as I think I will, maybe I'll have some pics to post up shortly.

They have a metalic OD looking one without the ESA, and a blue one with. I think I'm gonna go for the OD one. I figure if I want to upgrade the shock, then the ESA will be useless and possibly cause me problems.

The dealer mentioned that the '14s are coming out in October, how much do you think I should expect to get knocked off the price of a '13?
  3. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I almost bought a Kalmata '13 when I was shopping for my bike, but instead bought a white one that had all the bells and whistles. The only thing the Kalmata bike didn't have was ESA. Hindsight, although I love the white and black bikes too, I kinda wish I had got that Kalmata colored bike. The ESA is kinda gimmicky, and if the bike you really want has it, great, but I wouldn't let it be a sticking point.

As far as deals, they don't have huge margins in these bikes. BMW likes to be the one making all the money... If there are no significant changes in '14 I wouldn't expect a huge discount in '13's.

I'm a fool for not buyin the 2012 my dealer was willing to sell me at "his cost". It's a badass anniversary edition I could've gotten for just over $11k. It's still there, and when I go by it torments me. Haha

It's the one behind the white '13

[​IMG]
  4. djborden

djborden Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FYI, BMW has a 750 cash incentive on 2013 800gs models through the end of this month. If you work them hard you should be able to save $1000-1250 off a 13 model. The 14's won't have a rebate and they probably won't negotiate.

I was told by a dealer their margin is around $10%. I got my full loaded 13 for around 13k otd including reg and 7.5% tax..... That 750 off tipped the scales for me.

David
  5. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    I had my mind decided on this bike... until I saw the pics in this thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486251&highlight=F800+bent+shock+mount

Now I'm going to pull back, and wait to see if it's fixed on the '14 models. I'll probably check out some other bikes while I wait. Who knows, maybe emotion will win out and I'll end up with that Kalmata '13 in a couple weeks anyway, but I'm going to try not to rush in.

Thanks for all the help, it's much appreciated!:thumb
  6. cardoctor1

cardoctor1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i rented a 2011 f800gs in fairbanks ak which drug my fat ass and all my gear to prudhoe and back .the 800 is a great bike and on my short list. when im ready to replace my r1150gs. i dont think i would spend the bucks for electronic suspension unless i plan on trading before the warranty expired.
  7. Grits&Gravy

Grits&Gravy Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, after seeing that I wouldn't buy one either. I think I'm gonna sell mine now.:bert
  8. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Every bike, and I mean EVERY bike has a weak link, some more than others.

If you saw how many KTM fuel pumps get replaced by facet pumps and how many complain about no range, how many Triumphs have electrical issues, don't idle right or have crappy brakes......You get the picture.

I've gotten about 3000 miles on my bike this year, not much, but almost 2500 of it was dirt, single track, high speed crappy fire roads and bombing through wheat fields and prairies. My shock bolt is straight as an arrow, i'm 230lbs with gear on and I do not pussy foot around with my bike.

Now, that being said.

I've replaced the rear shock with 3-way adjustable shock tuned to my weight and riding style, and have had the forks re-worked the same.

In my humble opinion, most of the issues you hear about the bolt, the head bearings and the wheels bending are due to a common denominator...."STOCK SUSPENSION SUCKS" on this bike. Fix it and you're golden.

Some people say "why should I fix the suspension on a new bike?" good point, but if you really want any bike to work to its optimum potential, you'll get it revalved and resprung right away, i'm a firm believer in the phrase "Power is nothing without control"

If you can't tell, i'm a HUGE advocate for suspension work.

That's my $.02, you got what you paid for. :D
  9. speck

speck It's all about endorphins

Oddometer:
    I have a 2011 with 30k (s)miles. I've crashed it a couple of times and even took it over Engineer's Pass and Cinnamon Pass in the Rockies after which I rode back home to Tucson. Great bike. My only complaint is the suspension. I blew both fork seals doing the passes in Colorado. Race Tech or Ohlins in the future.

Buy the bike. You need it.
  10. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    Understood, but fuel pumps, electronics, stepper motors(I believe this was one of the problems with the Triumph), and brakes are easier and less time consuming to replace than a frame. I don't want to have to worry about it all the time.

I had the suspension on my SM revalved for supermoto and my riding style, and I agree it's definitely worth doing. I don't think it's something I'd be able to do straight away though.
  11. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Out of the hundreds of thousands of F800's sold, how many do you think had that problem?

Here's the thing about the Internet. If you go looking for a problem, you'll find it.

Not many threads are started as "rode my bike today, no problems..."
  12. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    f800gs for fast offroad=NO. the frame will bend on them, its not this or that batch. ALL of them will bend. BUT, you have to be hauling an extreme amount of weight or getting big air to bend it. rallye moto brace should take care of it.

f800gs for all-purpose=YES. i love mine. i am saving up for better suspension as we speak, and there is no limit to what i would spend to tailor it to my needs. i like it that much.
  13. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where is all this bent frame BS coming from? Johngil bent his and there are 96 pages of discussion about it. Find me another.

I don't know why his bent, but he initially did it with the stock suspension. Not only bent the bolt, but bent the cross member. One theory as to why is maybe the bolt was not torqued correctly. Its strength is dependant on compression of the shock mount bushings. Maybe he just rode beyond its design. I remember some of his ride photo's.

The dealer said all was fine and Johngil mounted an aftermarket shock. A weaker design than the stock, with 3 bushings and a bearing to compress for strength, with no brace, and bent the frame.

You can bend the sub frame if you drop the bike hard. At least it can be replaced, unlike some others I could mention.

It ain't a tank, but the frames don't crumple like tin foil either.
  14. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Reading stuff on internet (including this thread) at least 90% noise

I think someone recently went through the entire bent shock bolt thread and found 5-6 people had actually bent it, the other 96 pages were people worried about it (and many of them barely get off pavement)

the F800GS is a great COMPRIMISE,
    It WILL do loaded up pavement touring,
    It WILL do loaded up "Adventure" Touring,
    It WILL do off road,
    It WILL do Canyon Carving,
    It WILL do many other things, it WILL NOT do any of them as good as a specialized bike for that purpose.

As a dual sport bike I feel it is a better choice over all than many of the other options. Yes if you want it better at any one purpose it can be "upgraded", but for the vast majority of owners it is acceptable as BMW built it.

About all I do is put gas and tires on it for maintenance, oil changes as needed. I did upgrade the suspension, seat, farkled bags, crash bars, pivot pegs, windshield, etc but that was to make it better for ME, the bike is very capable as I bought it.

As with any advice I have ever gotten, on or off the internet, take it all with a grain of salt and make your own decision
  15. OUTsane

OUTsane rerutnevdA

Oddometer:
    I think he was the only one who bent the frame to that degree in the thread, but there were a bunch of other people with bent bolts and flanges. Some of them who claim to not have been riding aggressively. Having seen the shock mount design, I believe that it is not merely a fluke thing, but something that is waiting for any one of a handful of variables to fall into place. I don't like the lower mount design either, with the bolt not capturing both flanges, and with reports of that bending as well. Maybe there haven't been more of these problems because most people buy the bike to ride on the street and maybe the occasional dirt road, who knows. If you want to buy me the bike, I'd be happy to ride it without thinking twice about the upper or lower shock mount, cracking gas tank, failing wheel bearings, ect. but I don't think I'm willing to commit to financing the thing for however many years when there's the very real possibility that it's not the bike I thought it was.
  16. JRose

JRose Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of Jeep Wranglers.

People assume Jeeps go anywhere with ease, and are tough as nails.

Then they spend 10's of thousands of dollars on them makin them go anywhere with ease, and tough as nails.

So far all of the quirks about the F8 I've found are fairly easy fixes.

I'm a new owner though, and that opinion might change over time. If it does though, it'll be from my own experience vs others.
  17. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I counted them once, there are more than 6 now, still not that many. If you know about it, at least check the torque on the bolt. If you worry about it, get a brace.

No need to rehash Johngil's experience, but once that cross member was bent, the frame was toast and the dealer should have dealt with it then. That is not a common happening.

I own another bike with a bad rep. According to the Internet, KLX650 engines blow up. That rumor got started because the off road version in its first year of production did not have a radiator fan. I am sure some one flogged a 93 KLX650r until it overheated and blew. From that, reputations are born, even if they don't apply to other years or models.

Parallel Universe is like Twitter for F800 owners. Every random thought gets posted.
    If damaged frames are so common, it should not be that hard to find another example. There are 40-50,000 of these bikes out there.
  18. RexBuck

RexBuck Long timer

Oddometer:
    With 70K km, maintenance has been done to the Maintenance Schedual . . . 10,000 km oil change & filter, change air filter at 20k km, do all the other stuff when it says to (except valves). Pretty straight forward.

Valve clearance is supposed to be checked at 20K km but I procrastinated and had the mechanic check them in the 30K km range when they did my water pump warranty and had the cams out anyhow. Checking valve clearance is pretty straight forward, adjusting them is a bit more tedious.

Spend the $100 and get the Service Manual CD - very comprehensive.

Overall, maintenance is pretty straight forward - every 10K km you are doing something.

ESA - have used it on a 1200 GS and it is nice. I'm not a huge technical rider though so tended not to do much with the suspension. If I were to get a new 800, I likely would not get the ESA. I upgraded my shock to a Yacugar which has been great. Change the pre-load on the odd occasion which takes all of 30 seconds. The more electronic stuff on these bikes, the more there is to go wrong.
  19. txtallywhacker

txtallywhacker I pooped today!

Oddometer:
    My frame bent, why else would I say this ? I took pics too. I'll upload when I get smugmug. Bent the cross tube upwards and inwards by about an inch, had to cut bolt out with sawz-all. Bike not loaded, no big jumps. Just hauled ass down an extremely rocky trail with a full tank. I'm talkin balls to the wall, rally style. My klr handled it, so I thought the Beemer could. It couldn't. Emailed pics to bmw, they said they are aware of the problem, and that the f800gs is not meant to be an offroad bike. My bike is currently stripped to frame and am welding in a new crossmember and reinforcing it with 1.25 inch d.o.m. ran to each cluster fitting, then welding in a plate to get rid of that stupid Bavarian long-bolt idea.
  20. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    I'm curious, what rear shock were you using?