13 F800GS with Rox Risers AND hand guards?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Squelch, May 27, 2013.

1. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wasn't sure if I should put this in the hand guard thread or the Rox Riser thread, so I've decided to put it here. I just bought a new F800GS this week, and after a few hundred miles I love it. However, I am 6'1", and when I stand on the pegs I have to lean down, so I'd like to put some Rox Risers on there. I had some on my KLX250 and they made it so much more comfortable to stand that sometimes I'd just ride down the road standing instead of sitting.

Anyway, the Rox Riser installation suggests moving the clutch and brake mechanisms in by 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch. This, of course, is right where many hand guards seem to anchor. All of this leads me to my question.

Who has both Rox Risers and hand guards on their F8? What type of hand guards do you have, and where do they anchor to the bar? Would they interfere if your clutch and brake levers mounted 3/4 of an inch away from the grips? :ear
  2. J&K

J&K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rox risers and bmw hand guards. Didn't move anything just installed the risers checked for binding and ran with it. 1000 miles on them so far and no issues.
  3. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have Rox Risers and the BMW hand guards with no problem. I think they want you to move them to reduce pressure on the lines. I didn't move mine and no problem after 14,000 miles. It is a little tight on the brake, but no problem.

One thing I don't like about the Rox is they are adjustable for up and back. The handlebars get out of alignment if you drop the bike or bump them hard. I would prefer a solid mount.
  4. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is good to know. I will probably get the risers first and then hand guards later.
  5. cppilot

cppilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PM sent!
    I also have had no problems after 14,000 miles. I used the R1200GS hand guards with my F800GS. Works great and you can switch between tall and short guards. You will need the clamps to attach to the handlebars and a small amount of adjustment to get them to fit, but it works.
  6. DoWorkSon

DoWorkSon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ROX and the touratech handguards. No issues whatsoever
  7. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Highway Dirt Bike Handguards may solve your problem of moving or not moving controls as they allow more room on the handlebars because they do not attach to the handle bars like the BMW guards do.

See this thread on ADV Rider:http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659918

For what it is worth....I have BMW hand guards on my 2013 F800GS and a local F800GS rider I have met has the HDB hand guards. He replaced his BMW guards with HDB after a few too many tip overs and the BMW guards failed. I expect I will do the same in time for two reasons:

1. When I am riding dirt roads and the best line is on the extreme right or left of the road, the BMW hand guards do not fully keep my hands from getting bashed by branches. The positioning is angled a bit down and I do not think it is possible to raise them up any further than they are because the brackets won't allow a further up position.....something to consider.

2. HDB's look indestructible...and the local F800GS rider who I met said that his HDB's have held up to many tip overs no problem.