'13+ light mounting solution?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by precarious, May 17, 2014.

1. precarious

precarious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't find a light bar for the '13+ GS. I want to mount a pair of Cyclops long range extreme lamps, but I don't want them to bounce all over the place on a sub-par bracket. Mounting them on the forks kind of defeats the purpose, so does anyone make a light bar for the new GS models, because I'm striking out with every search? I was hoping to get something laser-cut at work, but that hasn't panned out...
  2. precarious

Oddometer:
    I never thought to contact the manufacturer directly. Will do and report back.
  3. ADVCanuck

ADVCanuck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested too...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
  4. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. fnatic

fnatic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased pair of Clearwater Erica's, have the Darla's on at the moment, but like yourself couldn't find a fitting solution for the larger lights. Have the BMW OEM brackets (yup $ :cry) and had a triangular bracket that came with the darla's that allowed me to mount the darlas on the outside of the fairing giving much more light.

The Erica's are too heavy for this position, so I have acquired a crash bar bracket and getting the upper crash bars from Alt Rider as my mounting point. But if you find another solution I'll be watching with great interest.
  7. DaverCoe

DaverCoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just swapped my ADVmonster 30/60s over to the new bike. Had to re-drill the ss mounts to 8mm for the larger headlight bolds, but they're sure solid, I'll-be-it in a risky location.
    I'll likely go the OEM bracket route as well.
    Thanks for the great links fellas.

[​IMG]
  8. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I originally purchased the HID/Fog light kit from Tourtech. When I threw away the lights and went with the Advmosters, I kept the bracket. If TT isn't willing to just sell the bracket, print out the instructions and take it and your beak to a local fab shop and I'm sure you can work out a deal to make a bracket.

[​IMG]
  9. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
  10. precarious

Oddometer:
    Darryl over at Cyclops emailed me back and gave a link to that thread. Looks like it could be just the thing. He said that light fitment on the '13 is a real problem because there is so little metal in the front end.

I thought about crash bar mounts - I have the SW Motechs - but it's a little low and very risky in the event of a get off. Haven't put any development into this, yet, just research. I was hoping to make a light bar that mounts between the beak and fairing like '08-'12, but it doesn't look like there is any metal there to support it.

I'll probably go the way of those Hawk mounts and try to firm them up/ modify as needed. Unless I can figure something else out. Time to start mocking some shit up.
  11. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Yup, truth be told, i'm not sure I really needed to do the aluminum bracing. Hard to say.
  12. f8David

f8David Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:

Wow, at $54 they are WAY cheaper than BMW's. The TT site doesn't show the actual brackets, have you any photos without the plastics installed?
  14. f8David

f8David Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If I get a few minutes this week, I will pull plastics for photos.
  15. precarious

Oddometer:
    Those might work. My only concern would be fork clearance lock to lock with the more massive long range exteme. But for the price, I think it's worth a shot. Thanks.

Upon further review, I may go with the optimus rounds, instead. The smaller diameter will make mounting easier, and they no doubt still throw all the light I'll ever need.
  16. 73datsun

73datsun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. precarious

Oddometer:
    Those look good for smaller lights, but I don't think they would be stiff enough for more massive lights. Maybe. They are cheap enough, and also easy to fabricate myself.
  18. f8David

f8David Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    From your pb page you need to click on the top box, associated with each picture, where it says " copy img link"...or at least thats is what I think it says. Then in your advr post....on top of where you write....there is ancamera icon. Click on that and past the link. Done.
  20. f8David

f8David Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]