$139 GPS? You get what your pay for perhaps? Koolertron GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by staudio, Aug 18, 2018.

1. staudio

staudio Time to take a ride.....

Oddometer:
    20 Minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge, CA
  2. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a generic Chinese GPS (really, the one I had did not even have a name). Runs on the long-abandoned WinCE operating system. There is an old (2013) but lengthy thread on these units here: https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/4-3-inch-motorcycle-gps-navigation-systems.906910/

Mine worked OK for routes planned with Tyre, though the voice prompts came increasingly late. It would start out correctly advising of a turn 1/4 mile in advance, but the warning would gradually come later and later until after thirty miles of travel it was telling me to turn hundreds of feet past the intersection. The display was always correct. I don't think it supported tracks at all. The iGo software that came on my unit from Ebay was probably pirated - I could never get map or software updates. See the "Note" in the product description, this unit sold as hardware only, you need to purchase and load your own WinCE compatible navigation software and maps.

For the money, you'd be much better off setting up a cheap Android smartphone or tablet as a dedicated GPS. CoPilot is just as capable as the iGo software was, but Locus or Osmand would be better. NO cellular service or SIM required.