13th Annual KTM Adventure Rider Rally, August 19-21, 2016 - Deadwood, South Dakota

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by ramjet, Jul 6, 2016.

1. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can anyone please clarify; I have a CO plate and a CO OHV tag, do I need a SD OHV tag?
  2. 5105

5105 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are going to ride any of the national forest trails (highly reccommend), you will need the permit. $20 for a week, $25 for a year if I recall. Can be done online, or at Forest Service offices. We always get ours at the office just North of Custer on West side of 385. They will have MVUM maps for free, also.

Been riding the DAKAL a piece at a time-nothing short of awesome, highly reccomend if you get a chance.
    cotafan likes this.
  3. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    Is there a FS office near Deadwood where the permit can be picked up ?
    I'll be hanging around after the Rally and riding the DAKAL .
    Would anyone have an idea where I can park a truck and camper for 4 or 5 days ?

Max
  4. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you staying at Deadwood Lodge? Maybe they would let you leave it there. Or, maybe a campground nearby.
  5. garfey

garfey Scruffy Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
    Confirmation rcvd from SueZan (luvvit!) Kelley this morning.
    :ricky
  6. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Anyone that has gone to previous ones. Since KTM hasn't given squat in regards to a schedule of events, i'm trying to plan commute time (I've used WAY Too many vacation days this year).

Assuming that there are events going on Friday? so arrive Thursday night, and i'm golden if I scoot out on Sunday morning?
  7. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Has there been any info on the type of rides planned? Especially in terms of length between gas and/or amount of paved sections.

If I make a last minute decision to go, I'll need to decide on which bike and tank size.:1drink
  8. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    They don't publish or announce the planned rides at all. But there are numberous ones that vary with the skill levels of the riders. A lot depends on the location of the Rally too. Bend, Colorado, etc. offer various types of terrain but they pick rides for every level. I don't think you will travel over 150 on one of there rides though.
  9. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    I've got my 100+ mile tank on now, or put the wide body 200 miler on. Having never ridden out there I'm just not sure about gas stops. I'll do some research tonight on some of cannons tracks for this area.
  10. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:

my range is 150 miles and should be more than enough if we're riding the nearby black hills.

small gas tank may be ok if you bring a couple of msr bottle, though i prefer the giant loop fuel bladder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    we're camping here from sunday to friday next week...owner is an advrider member.

http://www.brokenarrowhorsecamp.com/

if you guys want to join us explore the black hills and badlands, send me a PM.
  12. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
    the group I'm coming in with is still waiting for rally camping info.

I guess I'll throw on the super tanker and just work on my leg flexibility. :D
  13. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will have a booth at the rally. Come by and say hello.

Dear KTM Adventure Rider Rally Participant,

We are looking forward to greeting you upon your arrival to Deadwood, South Dakota – the location of the 13th Annual KTM Adventure Rider Rally. We would like to thank you in advance for your continued support of KTM and the Adventure Rider Rally. We have three amazing days of riding and activities planned and would like to take this time to provide you with event details to make your trip more enjoyable.

LODGING
    The Lodge at Deadwood is the host hotel for the KTM Adventure Rider Rally is. The Lodge at Deadwood is sold out but we have secured Deadwood Mountain Grand as the over flow hotel. Please call the phone number listed below for the Deadwood Mountain Grand to make reservations. Mention that you are with the KTM Adventure Rider Rally, when making reservations.

Lodge at Deadwood
    100 Pine Crest Lane
    Deadwood, SD 57732
    (605) 584-4800

Deadwood Mountain Grand
    906 Deadwood Mountain Drive
    Deadwood, SD 57732
    (605) 559-1151

CAMPING
    Individuals camping for the event can book at the Deadwood KOA Campground. RV sites, tent sites, cabins and deluxe cabins are available to reserve at the Deadwood KOA. There’s a free hourly shuttle that provides transportation to downtown Deadwood and to the KTM Adventure Rider Rally host hotel, Lodge at Deadwood. Make sure to mention that you’re with the KTM Adventure Rider Rally when booking.

Deadwood KOA Campground 11484 U.S. Hwy 14 Alternate, Deadwood, SD 57732
    (605) 578-3830
    STARTING POINT LOCATION
    The base of the 13th Annual KTM Adventure Rider Rally will be staged in the parking lot of the host hotel, Lodge at Deadwood.

ACTIVITIES
    KTM will offer a technical seminar conducted by KTM technician Tyler Berner that will highlight the features and benefits of the KTM 1190 Adventure. Riding clinics by instructor Llel Pavey will be held Friday and Saturday. Participants can also join a guided tour lead by KTM professional riders: Mike Lafferty, Russell Bobbitt, Chris Fillmore and Ronnie Renner. Saturday night will be capped off with some fun and games and our awards dinner at Tatanka.

MOTORIZED VEHICLE USE PERMIT

A Motorized Vehicle Use Permit is required for any motor vehicle traveling on motorized use trails in the Black Hills National Forest in South Dakota and Wyoming.

NSFW likes this.
  14. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    Is this an ORV sticker, and do I have to worry about it before I get to Deadwood?
  15. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    I am getting for my bikes before the event. But my time is likely more limited than yours while out there. Just one less thing to worry about.
    Stickers will not come in time, just carry printed receipts.
  16. WIsixfitty

Oddometer:
  17. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    WIsixfitty likes this.
  18. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Lovely, so everyone that hasn't gotten an email from them won't know. Luckily I saw this here.

Another 50 bucks eh?
  19. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:

Based on last years rally, you won't miss much scooting out on Sunday morning. That's what we plan to do as well. Handful of vendors were still around on Sunday and some AM demo rides, but for the most part the official schedule ended with Saturday nights awards dinner.

If I recall, breakfast was from 7-9AM on Friday and kicked things off. Arriving Thursday night you will be good. Since are leaving Thursday after work from Denver, we are thinking about making it as far as Lusk and then heading out early Friday AM toward Deadwood.

- Sean

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jengel451 likes this.
  20. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause

Oddometer:
    Your Black Hills MVUM permit is good for both SD and WY (at least for the Black Hills National Forest areas is WY). Do get the permit, the fines are significant.

There is generally gas available in many small places in the Hills -- big range won't be all that necessary unless you head east into the Badlands, or further west in WY-- some big empty out there. Do a little research, there is a TON of single and ATV/snowmachine track in the hills, as well as normal FS and fire roads. Some of the single track is moderately difficult; I've had a TE610 on some of it. But you Rocky Mountain types will have little problem.

Not much cell coverage if you need such stuff. Around Deadwood/Lead won't be bad, but just about anywhere out of the towns, there is little.

Oh, and bring water. It gets warmer than it does in the Rockies.

Trailering out my 690 and a buddies EXC500 on Wednesday. Stop for some work, get to the hills on Thursday.
    NSFW, WIsixfitty and Cuchulainn like this.