13th Annual KTM Adventure Rider Rally, August 19-21, 2016 - Deadwood, South Dakota

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by ramjet, Jul 6, 2016.

1. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    wednesday pm, we just can't wait.....:clap
    [​IMG]
  2. 05magmn

05magmn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day one of our rally, a short ride at railroad buttes.

Attached Files:

MX Engineer and NSFW like this.
  3. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    I've made it here, two up with a girlfriend, 3 days of riding.

Michigan is much wider when crossing on a bike compared to in a car.

The Illinois tolls suck twice as bad when riding a bike. I didn't pay any, will have to go online later to pay.

Iowa is much more beautiful that I remember it when crossing it in a car.

The eastern South Dakota is similar to Texas. The Wild West! The western South Dakota before Deadwood is hilly, just like Montana. I look forward to exploring the SW corner more!
    NSFW, Cuchulainn and Ferd like this.
  4. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    little breezy in the middle of the state yesterday.. I will be up tonight, looking forward to it!
  5. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause

Oddometer:
    Rainy and cold but good to be here. Top notch facility. Well run event so far.
    NSFW likes this.
  6. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    So that's what it feels like taking a big bike through miles off mud bogs....DAMN!
    superdan00 likes this.
  7. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    If anyone is up for some single track tomorrow (Sunday) let me know.
  8. CO303

CO303 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a lot like surfing except you have to replace "knarly" with "oh shit"
    superdan00 and jengel451 like this.
  9. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Didn't get to ride but did convince the family to go out to "visit some friends" in Deadwood. I snuck in to oogle bikes, shake a few hands, and watch crazy people ride big bikes on the skills course. What did you guys do to young Mr. Pavey last night, he looked a little rough this morning... ;)
    flyrodder likes this.
  10. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    OMG! KTM really went out of their way to make the rally run smoothly and cram as much fun stuff in 3 days as possible. Whoever hasn't made it here, you should have seen a little "lake" of brand new on-road and off-road demo bikes, as well as all the pro riders that they brought here, just so that we could rub elbows with them and get a glimpse of what it is like to enjoy this off-road riding lifestyle to the fullest!

I had so much fun, and I am so happy with KTM that I have already signed up for next year.
    superdan00, Rassilon, NSFW and 2 others like this.
  11. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:

So glad KTM is sending it back to Crested Butte! As much as I enjoyed this years rally, it just didn't top Crested Butte 2015. Guessing that 2017 will though :)

Can't wait!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    MX Engineer likes this.
  12. jengel451

jengel451 1 Cool MotherF#$cker

Oddometer:
    Met some cool people. Friday was the best riding day for me. I'm not a big group ride guy, but the Friday ride was only people that were brave enough to ride the slop, so everyone was in it for the same reasons. Saturday turned into a bit of a cluster, way too much street for me. I'd say KTM needs to be better about describing the rides, giving a high level difficulty and how much trail/fireroad/Street.

Of course, witnessing some douchebaggery on the Saturday Rushmore ride probably played into my feelings on some things. (I bailed early before I punched someone, come to find out, I wasn't the only one that did it for that reason)

Vendor selection was a little bit thinner than I was anticipating, might have a bit to do with the location, SD isn't exactly close for anyone.
  13. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    They had quite a few more routes and they were better described last year in Crested Butte. They were also made available on paper as well as the Rever App. I am not sure why that changed this year.

Vender selection was also thinner. From what I understand and was told they weren't pointing any fingers, as to who had the date first, Touratech planned an event the same weekend. Apparently that resulted in a thinning of the vendors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    jengel451 likes this.
  14. flyrodder

flyrodder nothing bugs me except insufficient applause

Oddometer:
    Had a great time. The Black Hills location 'feels' like home to me since I've ridden up there several times. Yeah, I don't really do group rides with people I don't know well, so I had good rides both Friday (short) and Saturday (long). Did some single and double track I know well, and some new that I'd not been on before.

Since this was my first KTM Rally, I've nothing to compare it to other then BMW MOA, BMW RA and the local stuff I've attended. Top Notch and kudos KTM. Sure the vendor support at the BMW stuff is much greater (5K + attendees changes the marketing dynamic significantly), but the vendors that were in Deadwood were fantastic and very helpful. The Lodge at Deadwood was also very good. Not Five Star, but we're a bunch of dirty bikers. My wife and I had a very nice room, the staff was courteous and helpful, the sports bar restraunt was very good (though the craft beer selection could be expanded...lol.), the blackjack dealers were fun and the wifi was free and fairly decent.

The Nebraska contingent had a great time. We are already looking forward to Crested Butte, but will obviously go back to 'The Hills' when/if KTM goes back there.

Oh, and the 690 was much better than I thought it would be on single track.
    superdan00 and Cuchulainn like this.
  15. motogearhead

motogearhead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg I had a great time. Unfortunately had to leave early Sat morning. My bud and I got there on Wed so we did get some early riding in the area and rode some good stuff on Friday despite the rain. We rode some great roads in Wisconsin and Iowa and caught some of the SDAT and the Badlands on the way out. I rode 34 East until MN then a bunch of small 2 lane to get back to the U.P. I definitely want to get back out to the Black Hills to explore some more. KTM did a fantastic job and we met a lot of great folks. I'd definitely go to another KTM Rally. Ride safe!
    MX Engineer and Cuchulainn like this.
  16. K_N_Fodder

K_N_Fodder Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw somebody on a loaded down 1190R heading westbound on HWY 16 between Ten Sleep and Worland, WY today... unfortunately I was in a pickup loaded with empty kegs headed back to work.
  17. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    home now.

great riding and another fun event.

unlike most brands, ktm works hard to make ownership and participation in the rally into a great community.

thanks to ktm and supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    MX Engineer likes this.
  18. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    Joe, it was great to meet and talk to you throughout the weekend.

My first KTM Rally and not my last.

We were one of the few that did not ride Friday.
    [​IMG]

Saturday out on Mike (Lafferty's) gnarly loop.
    [​IMG]

Some guy had a flat.
    [​IMG]
    KTM this is why adventure bikes need tubes!!!!!!!!!!

A man and his dog.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

KTM's attention to detail. Yes that's a wrench to mix up your coffee.
    [​IMG]

I guess I need to start planning for Crested Butte next year.

Big thanks to KTM staff for planning a great weekend of seeing old friends and meeting new. The riding wasn't too bad either. :1drink

On the way home I stopped at Railroad Buttes/ Farmingdale.:clap WOW!
    I will be back to the Black Hill area along with RR Buttes.
  19. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    RR buttes is great for those occasional 60 deg. days in January...I never really go there in the summer
  20. WIsixfitty

WIsixfitty rock and roll the bones

Oddometer:
    I now know why. Even with air temps in the low 80's it seem a hell of a lot hotter out there. I saw about 10 to 12 vehicles in the lot on Sunday.