'14 Topcase latch failure .....argh!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by shuswap1, Jul 3, 2020.

1. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The long pin that is pulled snug to keep the lid down failed when a rivet on the topcase-to-rack failed, allowing the topcase to come completely off the bike and tumble at 70 kph. Stuff everywhere but surprisingly little damage to the topcase. However the latch pin is damaged and my effort to repair it resulted in a broken tap inside that refuses to come out.

HELP appreciated, I can't be the first to experience very early failure of these parts. Any source for a replacement pin would be great!
    Thanks! upload_2020-7-3_19-31-53.png upload_2020-7-3_19-31-53.png
  2. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have repaired these using snap rivets, which is how they are assembled from the factory. If it were not for the broken tap, it should be easy to re-use this pin. That is a bummer. There is a way to remove broken taps using an electric discharge device - most machine shops have this. No idea where to get a replacement. You could look in a Stainless Steel tubing catalog to see if you can find tubing. with proper OD and ID. Original is not hollow all the way through (I.e., it is not tubing), but tubing should work fine if you can find correct dimensions. Or find someone with a lathe to make one for you - it would be really easy to make from SS rod.
  3. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems that the OD is about 21/64, bit of an odd size. The ends had small shoulders that fit into the latch. Cannot believe that I am the only one to have this issue with poor riveting from the factory.....and who knows who the manufacturer is? Rumour is Touratech but can anyone confirm this? Thanks
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still looking for a parts source for this issue. Kinda mad at myself for not investigating the balky latch before it failed and dumped my stuff all over the road and kinda pissed at the lack of quality control by the manufacturer of these bags. The original owner paid $3,500 Cdn for these, with liners. I can rivet, but need the hollow-ended pin still.
  5. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA, 2016 R1200RT Supporter

Oddometer:
    I also was able to repair this using snap rivets. Needs to get the old rivet out of the pin, as others have said. But once you do, reinstalling using a snap rivet (which is how it was originally put together) is straightforward. I bought the rivets and the tool at a Home Depot type store in Chile (Sodimac store) for an on-the-road repair for my wife’s bike, and it has held up fine.
    shuswap1 likes this.