'15 F700GS @ 23k sounds very unhappy - clutch? trans?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Bonnie_Kay, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Bonnie_Kay

Bonnie_Kay n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone, poking my head in after lurking for a little while because I need some of your collective wisdom!

While returning from the PNWDS Summer Closer 2 weeks ago I noticed a new noise coming from the chain area of my bike. I know our twins rattle. I know there is chain noise in the video. What I'm worried about is the snap/clunk/knock on top of all that. It's so prominent that I can easily feel it in my right peg.

First I checked the chain slack thinking it had gotten loose but it was still within spec. Then I pulled the bash plate thinking it was loose or I had picked up debris but it was tight and clean. The noise didn't go away so I went ahead and adjusted and lubed the chain. That's when I noticed this coming from the front sprocket area:

Possibly helpful info:
    - 2015 F700GS with 23k miles
    - Oil level was correct and it didn't look very dirty
    - New chain @ 17k miles
    - Bought 1/2017 @ 15k miles as a salvage, has been down on the left side. Shifter was bent when I bought it.
    - No performance mods, just farkles

I'm going to go ahead and drain/strain the oil to look for any metal bits. Then I'll pull the clutch cover and poke around in there (basket could be loose?).

Has anyone else heard this from their ptwin? Anything else I should check while I'm taking things apart?

Thanks everyone :)
  2. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Before you do all that I'd take the chain off and see if the noise is coming from the chain itself. Hard to tell in the video where its coming from. Could be a stick/rock/snake on/near the chain.
  3. Bonnie_Kay

Bonnie_Kay n00b

Oddometer:
    There definitely isn't anything touching the chain that shouldn't be. I spent an hour looking at the lower parts of the bike and checking any bolt I could find to make sure it was tight. Removing the chain sounds like a good place to start. I can turn the sprocket by hand with the chain off and eliminate the chain as the source.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I agree, sounds like the chain is making the noise. Did you replace the sprockets when you changed the chain?
    sieg likes this.
  5. Bonnie_Kay

Bonnie_Kay n00b

Oddometer:
    Nope. They don't look too worn, however they are getting up there in mileage. Any reason it would make it in one direction and not the other?
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the drive side of the teeth will have a different wear pattern and it'll sound different when you rotate it backwards.
    sieg likes this.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    And there is your answer.
  8. Bonnie_Kay

Bonnie_Kay n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm 95% certain this is not chain or sprocket related, but I have been wrong before so I'll pull the chain tonight and report back.

If anybody has anything OTHER than what has already been said, I'd appreciate the suggestions.
    larryboy likes this.
  9. Pilotuh1b

Pilotuh1b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The chain guide. There could be something stuck to it from chain lube. Some grit, gravel or something. It sounds like it is 1:1 with link movement and increases corresponding to speed. I’d say the chain may be running over something on the chain guide or the top of the stand/foot peg underneath.
  10. Bonnie_Kay

Bonnie_Kay n00b

Oddometer:
    Went home to work on the bike. Spun the wheel by hand again (like in the video) and heard nothing... I hadn’t even touched the bike since I took the video.

Maybe I’m eating crow on this one? Call it paranoia and bad maintenance on my part?

I thought it could be that the bike was warm so I took it for a ride and still nothing.

I’m giving up unless it comes back...
    larryboy likes this.
  11. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    German gremlins, the worst kind.
    ChicoProf and JimsBeemer like this.
  12. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    Bonnie-Kay, as a rule the chain and sprockets are changed together as a set. The two parts wear in together, so when you mount just a new chain it's not going to fit the teeth the way the old one did.

Not changing out the sprockets with the chain will put additional wear points on the chain and/or possible alignment issues. Now, it can work for a while but it will accelerate wear on the new part as it tries to match the old unchanged parts.

How much of a difference it will make I can't answer. I've always changed the chain/sprockets out as a set.