16 day shakedown FL to TN/NC for the Tin Horn

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gpax, Apr 8, 2017.

1. gpax

gpax Honda NC750XD Yamaha XT250 Kawasaki VN-1700

Oddometer:
    I depart for Alaska on May 17th on my great adventure. Bought Lovely Rita (2014 Vstrom DL650) in November and started to plan for our great adventure. Sunday, April 9th we leave on a 2000 mile solo SE USA trip (of course when I say "we" I mean Lovely Rita and me) to prepare for our biggy from May through August to Alaska. My plan is to post photos starting in the morning and talk about my trip here on my ride report. Perhaps we can learn together. Glad to have you along. Hard to believe I leave in the morning.

Attached Files:

black 8 and rubline like this.
  2. Bill Sebastian

Bill Sebastian Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will definitely be following along. Safe travels!
  3. Zencyl

Zencyl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A proper shake down run :lurk
  4. gpax

Oddometer:
    PNS to NC Shakedown.JPG

Had a friend who just moved here from Atlanta advise, when she saw my route, that the further out of Atlanta the better. Tonight at the last minute I altered my route to tiptoe further around Atlanta on my way home. And I cleaned up a couple of chinks in my plan. So here are the routes I put in my Zumo tonight.
    Motormom and rubline like this.
  5. Kodachrome64

Kodachrome64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watching :lurk
  6. Tewster2

Tewster2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :happay:wings:rayof:beer:bmwrider:smile6:dutch:strum:lurk:ricky:super:thumb:wave:jive
  7. gpax

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I'm off. Left behind 1/3 of my gear from my Gulf Islands Seashore trip. And I'm still over loaded. Got 30 miles down the road and realized I had left my wallet on my dresser. About 150 miles to the campground. Beautiful 80 degree day. Lots of motorcycles out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    You're gonna have to get one of those "harley" wallets with the big chain on it :lol3
    HuskerBlue, RandyG, gpax and 2 others like this.
  9. Motormom

Motormom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good! I'm in
  10. ShineySideUp

ShineySideUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    N :D
  11. gpax

Oddometer:
    Beautiful day. Stayed away from the slab. Nice ride through perfect weather. Staying at R Shaefer Heard Campground spot #45 on the lake. Watched the Canadian geese honking on a fly by while being entertained by a cloudless sun set. My camping spot which includes electricity and water cost $12 for the night. Cooked chicken and rice and washed it down with Starbucks Via Instant latte. Had a tasty granola bar for dessert with a glass of adult beverage. Doesn't get much better than this.

[​IMG]

juno, EZMoney, ShineySideUp and 2 others like this.
  12. gpax

Oddometer:
    I noticed two things for the first time today. First when putting on my helmet. My ears have grown. Seriously. The lobs have gotten longer. I was trying to tuck them in with some resistance. That's when I noticed my ears getting bigger. The second I noticed was hair getting in my eyes. If you know me as being bald as a cue ball, you might think how could that be. Well it's been a while since I trimmed my eyebrows. You know old man eye brows. They were about an inch and a half long. I don't think I would have noticed except when I opened my face shield. The wind blew the hair in my eyes. I seriously need to cut them.

13. gpax

Oddometer:
    I did slim down my charger setup. I had a charger for my helmet SRC. One for my inReach. One for my iPhone. And, one for my iPad. I bought an Anker 4 station charger. Now I will be way more organized when I find an open wall outlet. Last night I ran an extension cord (20amp) into my tent for my CPAP and didn't need four more outlets for my chargers.

[​IMG]

rubline and GeeB like this.
  14. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I'll follow along. You doing Alaska solo?
    gpax likes this.
  15. oldgrizz

oldgrizz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hope you have a realky good trip.
    Mine is still parked.
    Waitint fot the winter gravel to be swept off the roads and for it to get above freezing. Yeh i know i am a wimp.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
    Solo Gato and gpax like this.
  16. Davis1

Davis1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey gpax, if you can, can you take some closer pictures of the rear and side of your bike. I have the same bike and want to see your luggage and packing setup. It will give me some ideas. Thanks, have a great trip!
    Solo Gato and gpax like this.
  17. gpax

Oddometer:
    I rode over to my cousins house in Knoxville today. Up US-27 and US-411 basically. My kick stand is too long. Particularly loaded. It fell over twice at home and has been tricky to get on and off. My bike chirps when hitting a bump on the highway. I am thinking the chain is rubbing for a split second. I looked but didn't see any thing. I might need to put the original link in the suspension as well as look for beefed up suspension. I will speak with Tim about it this weekend. I need to drop about half the weight I am carrying now. Again a good topic to ask Tim look at my gear. I took photos but with my Nikon. So I need to transfer them over to my iPhone first.

18. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in! :lurk
    smuts.g likes this.
  19. Tewster2

Oddometer:
    Greg, when you get here we can take your side stand off and have my welder cut it down and re-weld a nice foot on it if you like.

The frost heaves in the roadways can be pretty exciting in the north so a bit a ground clearance is good...or you can just slow down and keep an eye out for them. Many bikes (Gold Wings/Harleys) don't have a lot of clearance and do just fine. We'll take a look at everything when you get here. Ride safe.
    gpax likes this.
  20. HuskerBlue

HuskerBlue Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too notice that the 650 strom stands very vertical on the stand. I haven't dropped mine yet but I like tewster's idea of shortening and welding on a larger pad. I even worry that if you're camping and have it parked pretty safely that a strong wind could blow it over. Wonder why they set it up that way, only thing I can think of is possibly for strength for those that mount it horse-style, standing on peg? :hmmmmm