16 T Sprocket the best $30 dollars you will ever spend

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Ricardo Kuhn, May 6, 2004.

1. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    man what a difference.....

before the bike need to be rev up to go anywere,,this morning riding around san francisco in dense traffic was a nightmare with the 17T sprocket overheating,,,noises crap i hate it,,,this afternoon I install the 16T(40/45Minutes)and when for a Ride...
    believe night and day diference,,is just incredible how the powerband is at your finger tips far better control and much less of a comitment to do anything,much MuCh easier to ride.

Go and Order one Right Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!:ricky
  2. Greg Minor

Greg Minor The Trespasser

Oddometer:
    I did not like mine at first because I was used to 85mph cruising with real low rpms but I decided my license will last longer if I keep the 16 except I'm may get busted for doing 2nd gear wheelies :thumb
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    personally if I was looking for "Cruising" I will get a VFR but you are also right,,, higher RPm consume more gas than lower RPM and in certain times that can the "Walk /NO walk" difference on situations like Death valley or baja,hell even the freeway if you get unlucky

In my case still all about SLOW speed drivability and Ultra crisp and powerful response

i was doing 75MpH at 5200/5300 RPM that is not so bad in my book
  4. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    I never rode mine with the stock 17T. The 16T gives me plenty of top end for my uses, and it really increases the flexibility of the lower gears when riding fire roads, etc. At this point, I wouldn't really want to try the 17T.
  5. dedes (sas)

dedes (sas) Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the max speed with the 16T sprocket?
  6. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    Oh man....I have way to many tickets to really tell you about that one.

but I can safetlly tell you if you are worry about TOP speed maybe you got the wrong bike:doh
    I can also tell you that I saw 116MpH at the dry lake bed at primm nevada were jimmy lewis teach his class at about 7000RPMs in top gear I just did not have the balls to keep pushing since i was full of gear and a Fell a constant cavitation at that kind of speed also if i remenber correctlly Berti was able to do 126 MpH, more than sufficient if you ask me.:ricky
  7. gorgopodaros

gorgopodaros Been here awhile

Oddometer:

figures quotes are with 16T or 17T ????
  8. dedes (sas)

Oddometer:
    I don't think so. Maybe i'm addicted:wink: in high speed but also love the gravel roads:D .
    For years now i was dreaming for a big high bike that can go really fast on tarmac and when this road come to an end, being able to continue:nod
  9. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    ssorry with the 16T I also believe the bike runs out of power before it runs out of gear but you better ask jimmy or somebody with more experience about that one..

with the 16T the bike keep pulling like a mad man,is all question of balls and the cops by then
  10. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Haven't tried top speed with mine (with 16T) yet either but I think it could well be higher than with a 17T. With the stock gearing 8500 - 9000 RPM in 6th would mean some 245 KM/h or 150 Mph.

The 950 is powerful but not that powerful. The stock gearing really is to high. With a 16T the engine revs out in 6th too. And even if the top speed would be a little lower it gets there sooooooooo much faster... :evil
  11. dedes (sas)

Oddometer:
    Are you sure??? I get on the speedo 218Km/h alone and 213Km/h with my wife (17T)
  12. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    I aggre a 110% with your acesment mister KTMax
  13. Wilhelm

Wilhelm Let's Play

Oddometer:
    Hi
    First time to write in these forums. I've gone through them and what a lot of info! - Anyway, bought my 950 and ordered 16T & Airbox mod from Sommer. I am in Africa which is excellent for riding but still waiting for my stuff!! It is wide & open here so over 200km/h cruising is honestly no problem but 950 is probably most comfortable at +-185km/h. Can 16T cruise at this speed?
  14. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    I'm running 16/45, and have no tach due to the roadbook install, but it seems to still cruise nice at 75-80mph (130km/h), and the top speed is about 185km/hr or slightly higher (I've only attempted this in short bursts, not full-on wrung out testing), which is still plenty fast for me and my drivers licensen -thanks.

The 16/45 is OUTRAGEOUS for 3rd gear power wheelies!!!! Which of course can get you into trouble with the law!

But seriously, it is really nice gearing for the gnarly roller-coater looging roads we have up here.
  15. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    i'll put rear sprocket.... 44... or 45... :D
  16. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok does 1 tooth change on the front sprocket eaqual 3 teeth on the rear? thats what i heard... up 2 on the back might be a happy medium
  17. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    yeah exept that for that you need to get a new chain,,first they don't make 44 they make 45 so at the end end up being the same thing but costing 4 if not 5 times as much not to mension a lot more work to install it.
  18. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe

You should all know that 16/45 works without a new chain. Never tried 17/45, but it may still work if you turn the adjuster plates backward. :freaky
  19. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    I saw 122 mph (indicated) - which is probably closer to 111 mph actual - with the 17T sprocket on the front. I did not have panniers on the bike at the time and there was no appreciable headwind.

It seemed to me that the front end of the bike had a tendency to get light at high speed. I was concerned that taking it to any higher speed might result in some front end instability. I assumed that this was due to the shape of the front end of the bike, which has a relatively high profile and a fairly large cavity in front of the radiator which can catch the wind and lift the front of the bike. Some of this trapped air escapes along the front forks up into the cockpit, but I surmised that this route wasn't large enough to fully decompress the space in front of the radiator at high speed. This tendency would be exacerbated by the MAMF mud guard that I just installed, which creates an air dam around the front forks and which would trap even more air in the radiator cavity.

I have taken a couple of sportsbikes to significantly higher speeds than this and the bikes actually felt MORE stable as they got faster, not less. The KTM is different.
  20. Ricardo Kuhn

Oddometer:
    yeah I ask that question before and nobody really respond,I'm sure will work in terms of adjustment but i'm just to worry that will be a little to much,,
    anybody ever try it,,what are the Impressions!?!?!?