16TH ANNUAL KTM ADVENTURE RIDER RALLY, Breckenridge CO, September 13-15, 2019

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by MotoMinded, Feb 12, 2019.

1. hardinoki

hardinoki n00b

Oddometer:
    If confirmed transferable, I'll take it. Saves me finding a place to camp
  2. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the road this morning about an hour and a half later than expected.
    I didn’t touch the camera all day. Just rode the bike on the slab.
    Man I hate that.
    Got to my hotel in GJ. Heading to Denver in the morning for lunch than meet up with Paul.
    I don’t like riding in the dark either. But the cyclops lamp is the ticket.

Rain but didn’t get soaked thru. Had to stop on the side of I70 and pull on my rain over pants that barely fit over my riding gear.
    45F was the low in the pouring rain up on top. Once out of that I outran storms from just west of Richfield to just west of the hotel here where I caught up to a storm cell and got a few drops.
    Bike is running well. Got 50 mpg at 80-85 on I70 with those storms pushing me from Richfield to Green River.
  3. OhioRyder

OhioRyder n00b

Oddometer:
    Curious if coupons (codes) were given out for seat concepts and hopefully Mosko Moto? If so, can anyone share them? Wish I could of went but was sold out. Should of just went and winged it.

Thank you
  4. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko was doing their standard show deal which is 10% off and free shipping. I bought a couple of items from them.
  5. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    The rally was interesting. We had a condo that turned out to be in Frisco, with a Breckinridge mailing address.
    Hmmm
    26 F Friday morning when we rode up to register.
    Froze my phone.
    We rode some COBDR from State Bridge to Gore Pass then pavement to Kremmling for a spot of lunch.
    I barely touched the camera.
    I’ll post photos when I get home.
    I had to ride into Denver to drop off keys. Then met up with some other friends for a far too late evening of chat.
    IMG_7153.JPG

Photo Credit: @Pinarretta
    TarMack, Whodatschrome and Pinarretta like this.
  6. ES059MTK

ES059MTK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a blast at the Rally!!
    I was in the Ultimate Qualifier #18
    I placed 8th in Day one, but a bee sting at about 10:00AM on Day one made my eye swell shut.
    I didn't ride the rest of the weekend.
    I can't wait for next year.
    For anyone that is curious what the ultimate qualifier day one is like here are 4 videos from my go pro.

Attached Files:

7. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I got home to the beach last evening.
    I left Denver on Monday slightly before noon and stopped in Grand Junction. I was beat. Hungry too.

When I was riding over I stopped in Grand Junction for the first night. Too far, too hot, then too cold and a little wet. I stayed dry.

Thursday morning I rode to Denver.
    I-70 was/is under construction everywhere. From East of Denver to the I-15 junction. :(

Glenwood Canyon is nice though and riding at low speed limits means cockpit photos. :super
    [​IMG]

The rally.
    We had a bit of a fits and start beginning on Thursday as I was originally going to meet up with my cousin to get a key and notes for the condo they loaned us.
    That plan got changed without my knowledge so we sat around waiting. Then Paul woke me up with text messages and I got things moving, skipping lunch. Headed up the hill to meet up with Paul.
    We fiddled around getting ready, then got into rush hour traffic over the hill to I-70.
    Following direction on my phone to the condo in "Breckenridge".
    Turns out the condo is actually about four blocks south of Main Street in Frisco. :hmmmmm
    And as we checked the schedule we're an half hour late to register. :fpalm
    Registration is open an hour a day.
    The PDF the rally sent opens on my phone to show cropped pages. Not enough though to be useful for anything.
    I could have printed it out, had I been home or somewhere other than on a motorcycle when the email arrived.
    We changed to walking clothes and walked to main street and across the street to a place to eat. Then back to the condo to do battle with a recalcitrant water heater. :baldy
    The butane lighter having shown to be empty, we got a box of kitchen matches and after I exhausted a handful or two, Paul only needed three to gain success. It took one guy to light and hold the match in pliers and a second to push the light button.

Hot showers were the order for the next morning.
    We woke stupid early and rode in worse temperatures hitting a low of 26F on the way up.
    Using my phone to navigate, it of course froze and lost all power once we were parked at the Rally.
    Luckily I had it plugged in, but needed to clutch it to my warmer body to get it to charge enough to show my e-ticket.
    That EventBrite app didn't want to play nice for a long time. I finally woke with the solution at about 2AM before we rode out. :dirtdog
    I'd just used that thing in May and prior to that for a LPR event.
    :dunno

So, Friday was a big breakfast and a bag of goodies.
    I bought a tent.
    Paul bought a lot more.
    Suspension customization, some bags and mirrors and such.

Anyway, early morning after some food,

I didn't get to meet the owner, but, I'd expect a great sense of humor. :imaposer:thumb
    [​IMG]

Paul test rode a 500 to make sure he was happy with the 690,
    [​IMG]

Then he rode the 1090 in the afternoon and said, "That bike has no business feeling that light on dirt". :imaposer
    So, maybe not. :jack

I walked around and took photos of the vendors, but not all of them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also managed to forget to get pictures of the 1090. Might have been hungry? :lol3
    We went to a brew pub, then figured out as far as we could tell there was no dinner at the rally so rode back to our Breckenridge condo in Frisco. :loco

Walked to an Italian place and ate too much. :dukegirl

Saturday we walked to coffee in Frisco then back to the bikes gassed up and rode to State Bridge where we rode a section of the COBDR.
    I'd ridden this last year on TKC 80's and this year on Scorpions. I managed to slide each end when I got the traction guess wrong or just made a grab for fun. :wings
    But, no drops.

At the top of the first climb up from State Bridge we stopped at the aspen grove for a rest.

[​IMG]

There were points when climbing my eyes were pointed up at the ridge above us and the sky above that was this incredible blue. Not a color one sees down in the cities.
    Wonderful to see. Very hard to capture.

And looking the other direction,
    [​IMG]

I rode across Rock Creek first, but, I walked out to look at it first too. I trust my feet to find depth and firmness.
    It was fine.
    [​IMG]

Paul got a great shot. :wings

I'll have to finish some uploads to complete this report.
    Now, I've got to go get the bike ready to ride to dinner up the coast.:dukegirl

More in a bit.
  8. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a great time this year. Looking forward to ID next year.
    Thanks to everyone who stopped by the booth!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TarMack, Magus, NSFW and 1 other person like this.
  9. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Paul crossing Rock Creek with a little more enthusiasm.

[​IMG]

Good gear and we both stayed dry.

Before we got there we climbed the hill up from the river.
    Steep enough to cause my coolant system to burp. Which in the wee hours of the next morning I realized was what was happened since I'd stopped working at home and written a note in my notebook to pull the rear wheel when I got to the shop and burp the system.
    Forgot that.
    When I checked that notebook this morning, sure enough no checkmark next to the note. :fpalm
    I sorted it later with a bit of distilled water.
    I did have to readjust the rear brake adjustment rod, as it was loose. All was fine when I bled the brakes prior to leaving. The top nut must have only been finger tight as it had unwound enough the brake was not braking.

A bit of an adjustment and we were good for the rest of the ride.

I got to cross first. I walked it to check the depth.
    Feet stayed dry as the depth was not above my boots.
    Thanks for that. :lol3

Then Paul's turn,
    My GoPro decided to not play nice with the phone control for aiming so I used my P&S.

We rode on past the Stage stop, but up the little hill to check it out then stopped up by the highway.
    My parents used to fish and camp right there for more than 30 years. Mom's ashes are up on the hill. Mom and dad taught our daughters to fish in these streams.
    Dad and I have sat in the motorhome with coffee and plates of trout and fried potatoes and salad for dinner and trout and eggs for breakfast.
    From another time,
    [​IMG]

I had a bit of a moment, then we hustled down to Kremmling for some lunch. :dukegirl

After lunch we ran back to the condo in Frisco to grab some gear because we knew it would be cold when we rode back after dinner.

In Breckenridge we found a hotel bar open.
    Hydration, a couple of beers then on to the big dinner. :dukegirl

I ate too much,

[​IMG]

Late evening, then when we started off Paul's fuel cap malfunctioned and we had some issues for a bit, but then he popped the thing and got the bike to fire up. Off we went to top up his fuel. The 990 was virtually sipping fuel. :rayof

Next morning Paul had to head out early as he had a flight to catch for work.

I didn't so I lounged around cleaning up a little more. We had started the laundry as he left and I walked to town for coffee and a burrito. Back, I got the wash into the dryer and began packing up gear for the bike.

Then I was done. Clean sheets back on beds, clean towels in the bathrooms and everything shipshape and vacuumed. Turned down the water heater and locked up and headed down the mountain. Warmer ride than in days past. Got to my cousins, they were off at grandkids soccer so I dropped the key through the slot.

Then I stalled the big 990 and dropped it in the street.

Nobody saw it so it didn't happen. :imaposer

But, man, my body felt that lift. I could not get a handhold with my back to the bike, so had to come at it frontwards. I got my arms under and drove with my legs and got the fat old cow back on two wheels. I did have to pull the tail bag off that was filled with tire changing crap and tools and other stuff.

Sweating and sore and beat, I headed to Golden to meet up with some buddies who I'd spend the night with over in Aurora.
    Up far too late and waking far too early we had a late breakfast then I headed west.

I got as far as Grand Junction before I ran out of steam, got a hotel room and called it a night. A quick meal, showered and re-packed I out like a light by 9:30.

I woke a bit after 4:00 am, Mountain time.
    Decided to just pack and leave. I stalled long enough to wash down a cliff bar with some hotel room-brewed coffee, loaded up the KTM and headed west.
    Fuel stops were Green River, Richfield, St George, Primm, and Barstow. I grabbed a burger in Barstow too and again refilled the hydration bladder.
    I was happy to enjoy a relatively cool ride nothing hotter than upper 80's. Very high speeds with almost no traffic.
    I got home about 4:30 pm Pacific time.

Total of around 2,900 miles over six days of riding. I'm done with big mile days I think. Zero fun. I was constrained on either end of this ride or I'd have taken three weeks or more.

My new limit is 300 miles. Paul says, never say never. :imaposer :fpalm

My throttle hand got a blister thingy,
    [​IMG]

Bottom line?
    A good time. Wish I'd had more time, I'd have spooned on some knobbies and made some tracks.

The 990 worked wonderfully. It and I do not care for cold. I won't forget my heavier gloves next trip.
    And now, I have a new tent. :clap

Fuel economy was between 40 - 50 mpg. Lower with headwinds and higher speeds, higher with tailwinds and/or lower speeds.
    I'm not a big fan of high speed interstate travel by motorcycle. I much prefer 45 mph two lane. I'm perfectly happy to use up four days making that crossing, or a week.

Next time.
    Thanks KTM for the party, that was fun. :thumb
    Whodatschrome, NSFW and 2whl-hoop like this.
  10. snarf

snarf WFO and clueless

Oddometer:
    Have the overall results been posted yet?
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  11. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look like the new BD S1's?...you know, the same S1's that haven't been released yet?
  12. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    The ride down was tough, 1500 miles of with all except 5 or 6 hours were in the rain/snow. Got snowed on in MT and WY... The ride home was glorious though.

[​IMG]

I would've died without these:

[​IMG]

Night 1:

[​IMG]

Day 2: Early before the rain reappeared

[​IMG]

Great Riding on the rally

[​IMG]

I had a great time and ended coming home with "the Tourist" trophy and a bag full of goodies, although I'm not too sure why.

[​IMG]

Next year is in Idaho and I'll definitely be attending.

Cheers,

Wes
    Raydog, NSFW, Off Road Ryder and 2 others like this.
  13. Off Road Ryder

Off Road Ryder Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    WE had a great time at this years rally, so good to see so many old and new friends! We are a small family with most all venders having fantastic relationships. It truly is the best vendor experience we have all year.
    Speaking of family, I am so proud of my son Wes who won the ultimate race qualifier. Please help root him on in Morocco next year.
    [​IMG]
  14. TarMack

TarMack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seat Concepts Coupon Code: KTMADV19 Expires 10/11/19
    Mr Head likes this.
  15. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember a card somewhere in my gear. I'll have to go digging.
  16. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Y.Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, that's the code the card had on it. Originally a sicker, but they ran out of stickers and just started writing it :)
  17. Wesley J

Wesley J Hoser

Oddometer:
    I have to say the vendors were fantastic. I stopped buy the Giant Loop booth and wined and complained about my tank bag zipper being rubbish. Crazy bastards said bring it over, we'll replace the entire thing! Wholy crap, great product and great service. Thanks Giant Loop!

And 60%+ off of tires at Rocky Mountain ATVMC. I may have came home with 4 new tires and a bunch of other super cheap shit.

Oh, cant forget Motorex and their new refillable micro chain lube cans (friggin awesome) and a new ADV lube 1/2 way betwixt off road and road. And super cheap at the show. Great guys!
    Raydog and Magus like this.