$17.50 winter glove review.

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Bbasso, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Slideways#96

Slideways#96 Guest

Took my first ride with the new gloves. At 30 degrees and at highway speeds my hands were toasty. I sure appreciate the heads up on such a great deal.
  2. Mastery

Mastery Mr. Funny Man

Oddometer:
    Wore mine this morning for two hours while sitting in line for the REI garage sale. Hands stayed warm in 31 degree weather.

By the way, I have an extra set of Large, brand new, that I'd trade for a new set in medium or small with another inmate. Just send me a PM if interested.
  3. groundhogday

groundhogday Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine just came in today. I went for a 60ish mile ride and w/ temps in the mid 40s they bordered on too warm. My palms were sweating a little bit. Hopefully they'll break in well. With the added bulk I know they'll never have the feel of a good summer motorcycle glove, but there was a little discomfort around the knuckles with my hands on the grips. Especially on my pinky. For the money they seem like a great glove. I wear a medium in most everything else and these were spot on for me.
  4. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've searched all over the net for a similar glove. I'm sure they are made by a company like Olympia, and branded for the seller. And a lot of companies will end up buying the same design. But I haven't seen these anywhere else. I'd love to try them, but need a XXL. I gave up, and went and bought some at Cycle Gear. I got the Built waterproof Demon glove. Looks like a poor man's version of the Cortech Winter Scarab.
  5. ShadyRascal

ShadyRascal Master of None

Oddometer:
    I can't get the size to go to anything but medium. Need XL.
  6. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Call and ask, worth the effort.
  7. Bbasso

Bbasso my name is Rob

Oddometer:
    Great!
  8. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Actually the gloves are by Schoeller, a Swiss company noted for high quality product. They do say Refrigawear on the cuff but the attached tags are Schoeller - and no "made in China" labeling.
    The sizing does run a bit small as has been noted, maybe the reason for the deep discount - not unusual for intended European market product.
  9. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    As noted, the website is borked, they've got XL's in stock if you call.
  10. tomhanaway

tomhanaway IBI UBU

Oddometer:
    Just ordered gloves and a jacket.

Next 3 days has both free shipping and 20% off everything.

Looks like great cold weather stuff.

Tom H.
  11. geauXplor

geauXplor gō-ikˈsplôr

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tom. I just went on their website and ordered a pair of the gloves for $14 shipped. For that price it's definitely worth a try.

12. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:

Schoeller makes materials. I have gloves with their Keprotec material in them.

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com/en/fabric-groups/protection/schoeller-keprotec.html

So the gloves run a little small? Do they have 3x?

I might call tomorrow and see if they have any bigger sizes. The Bilt gloves I bought from Cycle Gear are going back. Not impressed, and they aren't real leather as advertised. They are vinyl. That's a deal breaker for me. They are made from a very thin vinyl.
  13. TN3Sport

TN3Sport East TN DS Rider

Oddometer:
    Quick review of these Gladiator gloves.
    First off, they are an excellent product. Get them while they are available at such a great price.

In my opinion they are good down to about 33 degrees (F). In the southern US high humidity, at highway speeds, any colder and your fingers are going to be cold. Anything in the mid 30's and higher, they should do the trick.

They are waterproof. Tested in a ride this weekend. 36 degrees and pouring rain for two hours. No leaks and slightly uncomfortable coldness on fingertips. But remember, this is the South. 36 degrees in Tennessee feels a heck of a lot colder than 36 degrees in Colorado...Its due to the dampness of the air. Plus, not as much sunshine in the winter. No convective heating.

The gauntlet on the glove is perfect. Its not too big, but big enough to cover the sleeve of your jacket. Therefore, no water penetrates.

The stitching is durable. I rode them offroad for several hours. No loosening threads or seams.

Great gloves. But, not a zero degree solution.
    I would put their value at about $50 to $60 bucks, easily.

I found them to fit true to size. I'm typically between a medium and large. So, I ordered both. I kept the medium and gave to large to a buddy. The medium fits me tight, but I don't like any extra material in the finger tips when I wear gloves. The medium was perfect for me. They were a little stiff at first. After a day of wearing they broke in nicely.
    Even paying for two pairs, its still a fantastic deal...Get them while they last.
  14. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about ordering a pair, but as I was determining my size and looking at their website I decided to order the "Artic Grip" gloves that are rated to -25f. They cost a little more, but it would be great to have warm fingers when it's below 30f while riding.

http://www.refrigiwear.com/Gloves/id-0291/ArcticGrip™_Premium_Glove_★★★

<FORM id=form1 method=post name=form1 action=/Gloves/id-0291/ArcticGrip™_Premium_Glove_&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;>
    <INPUT id=__EVENTTARGET type=hidden name=__EVENTTARGET> <INPUT id=__EVENTARGUMENT type=hidden name=__EVENTARGUMENT> <INPUT id=__LASTFOCUS type=hidden name=__LASTFOCUS>
    <STYLE type=text/css> .selectedDimension { background-color: #FFF !important; background: none !important; color: #161616 !important; } #TopLevelAttributeWrapper { border-bottom: 1px solid #29527D !important; } input.TabButton { padding: 4px 10px; margin: 0px 1px 0px 0px; font: bold 14px Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: #909090; background-color: #DDD; /* for firefox 3.6+ */ background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #E7EDF1, #CDD8DD); /* for webkit browsers */ background: -webkit-gradient(linear, center top, center bottom, from(#E7EDF1), to(#CDD8DD)); /* For Internet Explorer 5.5 - 7 */ filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#E7EDF1, endColorstr=#CDD8DD); /* For Internet Explorer 8 */ -ms-filter: "progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.gradient(startColorstr=#E7EDF1, endColorstr=#CDD8DD)"; list-style: none; border-left: solid 1px #C5D2D7; border-top: solid 1px #C5D2D7; border-right: solid 1px #C5D2D7; border-bottom: none; -moz-user-select: none; -khtml-user-select: none; cursor: pointer; } .style1 { height: 12.75pt; width: 66pt; color: windowtext; font-size: 10.0pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom; white-space: nowrap; border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: medium; padding-left: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-top: 1px; } .style2 { width: 61pt; color: windowtext; font-size: 10.0pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom; white-space: nowrap; border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: medium; padding-left: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-top: 1px; } .style3 { height: 12.75pt; color: windowtext; font-size: 10.0pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom; white-space: nowrap; border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: medium; padding-left: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-top: 1px; } .style4 { color: windowtext; font-size: 10.0pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Verdana; text-align: left; vertical-align: bottom; white-space: nowrap; border-style: none; border-color: inherit; border-width: medium; padding-left: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-top: 1px; } </STYLE> <!-- HTML required for Quick Buy Modal Popup STARTS -->
    <IFRAME id=dvItem style="BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px; HEIGHT: 450px; BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; WIDTH: 950px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; POSITION: absolute; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; LEFT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; Z-INDEX: 11; DISPLAY: none; TOP: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; border-image: none" marginHeight=0 src="http://www.refrigiwear.com/blank.html" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency marginWidth=0 scrolling=no></IFRAME><!-- HTML required for Quick Buy Modal Popup END --><!--BeginNoIndex-->
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

<!-- Control for updating the Recently Viewed Products --><!-- Control for updating the Recently Viewed Products -->

<TABLE class=attributesTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0> <TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>

</FORM>

Expand nextprevious

[​IMG]
    Close
    Previous 1/2
    Next
  15. Bokrijder

Bokrijder Soyez sans que peur

Oddometer:
    Don't see how you can go wrong - Refrigiware has been around a long time supplying cold weather gear to professionals requiring such.
  16. hyperboarder

hyperboarder Potato Farmer

Oddometer:
    Looks like the product page is working again.
  17. Vulfy

Vulfy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Quick review from me as well. Been riding in them in 30's here in NYC. Very nice glove. Its on par, maybe a touch warmer with Lee Parks PCi line of gloves. My hands to tend to get cold, but still manageable and not painful nor do they get so cold to start affecting my controls. (no heated grips, an no wind protection on the bars, at the time of this review)

I do like that these gloves have a pretty thin profile, for winter gloves. They are a little bit bulkier than Lee Parks PCi, but not much. Decent feel for the throttle and levers.

Fingers are a bit on a longer side for me, there is about a quarter inch room at the tip on the thumb, I ordered medium. I hate this in gloves, but I guess I have shorter fingers and its always hard for me to find glove that fit "like a glove".

No crash report, so don't know how well they will hold in a slide.
  18. JG77

JG77 I ride my own.

Oddometer:
    I ordered a pair based solely upon advice from this thread. Can't wait to try them out!
  19. chainslap

chainslap BlessedarethesicK

Oddometer:
    Got my pair right before Christmas. I ordered the large. I wear a large in just about every other brand eg; Tourmaster, cortech, alpinestars, dainese. Held size 9.

For $17 not much to lose.

Fit: was pretty good. Very stiff. No problem. Aren't all new gloves?

Cold: Hands are comfortable up to about an hour at freeway speeds in temps around 40f then I can feel the cold creeping in my fingertips. A few non-highway rides up to two hours in the 30s-40's and hands were fine.

++update1/3/14--about an hour driving in temps around 25f with winds blowing steady 5-10mph. Fingertips were cold about a half hour in but didn't seem to get worse. Hands were ok. Just fingertips.

Rain: No rain test yet.

As someone has already mentioned, I do not want to be the first one to crash test these gloves. They seem adequate and well made. But for some reason don't instill the same confidence as say my old helds or komodos.

No issues with bar controls. They aren't like your typical puffy winter glove.

For warmness I'd put them up against my alpinestars drystar gloves. Better even. I have to wear liners with my drystars. Haven't tested dryness yet but my drystars leaked like a sieve so almost anything should be better.

I'll update as I get in more time with the gloves in more conditions.
  20. ggoytia

ggoytia Mobile Fatso

Oddometer:
    Might be to late no more free shipping or 20% off.
    They have wool liner gloves but need to order by dozen.
    Il call em mañana thanks guys!

Texas is to cold for my riding gloves.