'17 F800GS BMW ownership cost

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by danballa, Jan 31, 2019.

1. danballa

danballa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In short,
    What potential problems could/would/should I expect on a '17, 800GS that wouldn't be covered by BMW warranty? All maintenance has been done by BMW mechanic, with records, and is in perfect working order.

Is BMW a good warranty? Or do they use any excuse to try to get out of a repair?

I don't really know anything about BMW, so any major Pro/Cons, feel free to point them out too.

Sorry to do things like this. I'm sure it's already been answered, and I'll continue searching after I post. I just have a very limited time window to make an offer on a friend's lightly used '17 800GS. For years, I always dismissed BMWs due to repair costs, but it's looking like I will get a deal that is too good to pass up, so I'm here looking for a quick BMW education!

Thanks!
  2. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Long timer

Oddometer:
    I most cases when maintained well they will be a good reliable bike

Thats not to say there arent things you should look for before purchase, because BMW dont warrent these warrant these things
    Check front wheel closely, they are soft and dent easy when ridden offroad especially if pressure is reduced
    The top shock bolt and mount, very very hard to tell without pulling plastic cover off under seat. Check for bent bolt and mount, ask:see if top shock support bracket has been fitted. If bike has been loaded and ridden offroad there is a high chance of damage.
    Check headset bearings, commonly only last 20,000km.
    Check wheel bearings and spacers, spacers can groove by 20,000km and then grease seals start passing shit in.

None of those things are hard or expensive to fix as long you catch them before they do secondary damage

Dont let these things turn you off, they are a good bike, if you were buying an Africa Twin or a KTM it would just be a different list of checks.
  3. NextAdventre

NextAdventre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BMW makes reliable bikes-I had a BMW made Husky (TR650) that never gave me a bit of trouble. Parts are a little more expensive than some brands, but there have been enough F800GS bike made that you can get used on EBay for 1/4 of the price of new. I just bought a complete master cylinder for an F800GS on eBay for just $75 shipped!

The only reason I needed the part was because I was doinking with my bike and broke something being a bone head! The original would have lasted forever if I had been paying attention.

If you like the bike, go for it.
    tominla likes this.
  4. adventuro

adventuro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2010 800gs with 29,000 miles, no problems at all so far. Bought a left over 2017 f700 for my wife, thinking newer bike should be just as or more problem free.
  5. danballa

danballa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies! Was exactly what I needed to hear. I'll hear tomorrow if I get it or not
  6. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    I have a 17 800gsa and it has been trouble free. only thing I would say is: I hear the seat on the gs sucks compared to the gsa seat. So you might want to factor that into cost.