180 Miles, 3 Days, 8 Riders, and The RUBICON TRAIL

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by garrett2323, Aug 2, 2019.

1. garrett2323

garrett2323 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For the 4th year in a row, I convinced 7 of my closest friends to take on a 180 mile lap around the Sierra Nevada near Lake Tahoe. That 180 mile lap will include the infamous Rubicon Trail.

2- KTM 350
    2- WR450
    XR650R
    XR600
    KTM 500
    KTM 525

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The route is based on the original route we did in year one. More Here

Year two we got skunked by a washed out road. More Here.

Lastly in year three, the road was still not fixed so I rerouted the entire trip around Lake Tahoe on the east side. More Here.

Here in year 4 the goal was to run the same route as we did in year 1 and attempted in year two, but make it a 3 day trip so we have a day to relax on the Rubicon Trail. To the pictures and video!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the record setting snowfall we had this winter there was a few patches left that we had to contend with.

We planned to camp at Ellis Creek, 2 miles into the Rubicon. However, when we arrived we were met by an overcrowded and raucous camp. After a brief meeting of the minds within our group it was decided that we would be pushing on to Buck Island Lake. A few hours later we arrived unscathed but beaten down by the long day. Thankfully, the extra effort in day one rewarded us with a day off at Buck Island to relax and hike around.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On day three, rested and ready, we rode from Buck Island through the rest of the trail out to the Tahoe side and back up to Truckee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a very successful trip with no mechanical issues and no injuries.

We rode through some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and arguably the toughest 4x4 trail around.

Thanks for reading, we are already looking forward to next year.

PS- If you are looking for a bag for your bike check out Giant Loop. They build the best bags for this type of adventure.

[​IMG]

The video!

2. El Chorizo

El Chorizo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love these annual reports. I just texted this to a buddy who has a place in Tahoe and told him to organize something like this. Well done. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
  3. racer198

racer198 n00b

Oddometer:
    One day we'll make you a "Ride Leader" ribbon. What an excellent adventure. I can't wait for the 5th installment!
  4. garrett2323

garrett2323 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe Fordyce for the 5th installment?
  5. Shadowed_Stranger

Shadowed_Stranger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Beautiful. Looks like a great time!