18000+ Ft and Beyond, Worlds Highest Passes in Himalayas, India

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Chanderjeet, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Riding the Worlds Highest Passes, 18000+ Ft and Beyond, Himalayas, India
    on an overloaded 9 bhp, 110cc machine :lol3

The Himalayas have always captured my soul and my mind and i rode again to the mountains last week. This ride was going to be very special ride for me. I say this because this ride was one of the items in my bucket list and i have just marked it off and added some more :)

Prelogue:
    Some month ago i posted a thread called "Bikers for Books". The idea was to collect used books and such and give it to less previledged kids in Ladakh region of Kashmir, India. Many ADVRiders sent me things and guys in my office contributed and soon i had a bag full. I was ready to go. So without much further adieu, here it is Ladies and Gentlemen, my little attempt to ride to the Highest Roads and Passes in the World and to complete my little own charity ride called "Bikers for Books"

Here are some teaser pics to begin with while i sort out the rest.

NWGS, your nirvana has reached the Top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7scs6rR-FZE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

DAY 1 Report - New Delhi to Manali - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7763408&postcount=10

DAY 2 Report - Manali to Sarchu - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7769111&postcount=32

DAY 3 Report - Sarchu to Leh - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7769653&postcount=43

DAY 4 Report - Leh to Khardung-La - Leh - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7776896&postcount=55

DAY 5 Report - Leh to Spangmik (Pangong Tso) - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7786903&postcount=86
  2. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Chanders, I love your trips :clap
  3. Roostn

Roostn On the Throttle Stop

Oddometer:
    Here we go!!!! :D
  4. DRGNHTR

DRGNHTR Dragonhunter

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap

Godd morning and thanks for the wake up.
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome trip! And I thought Colorado's 14' foot peaks were high!
  6. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Wow! Such an amazingly different kind of territory up that high.

[​IMG]

Thanks for taking us along, Chanderjeet, and thanks for dialing in a little "good works" for your ride. :thumb
  7. Photog

Photog Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer:
    Wonderful, as usual. :clap

What amazing colors.

[​IMG]
  8. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    I'm always amazed at your photos of the Himalayas, CJ. It's amazing how such basic motorcycles are so capable at altitude.

I'd love to ride them some day.:thumb :thumb

Dave
  9. Drowsy Dave

Drowsy Dave Square Peg, No Hole

Oddometer:
    Wow, thats amazing. :lurk

How much time did you spend at that altitude? Did you feel any physical effects?
  10. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Day 1 : New Delhi to Manali, 570 Kms

Most of you may not know but i posted a thread about collecting books and toys and other educational material to give it to Kids in rural schools in Ladakh.

BigRichard, who is no more with us, would have not agreed with me more, because when i was there riding with him in SF, he told me about his bus ride in Himalayas back in 1970's-80's where he saw a a one room school with a sign on one of the walls that read, "Education is our Wealth". I had planned this last year and had been supported by many of your and some guys at work. Here's the stash of the books that i was gonna carry 1000 kms over 17000 feet high mountains to keep my word and to begin a tradition i hope to follow every year.

[​IMG]

Heres the most annoying item of them all. The Cat in the hat. I finally got rid of it by giving it to you kids who could bear the pain.[​IMG]

Heres the bike all packed and ready to go. I dont have a name for my bike so i will call it "My bike"[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got Bike ? eh ?[​IMG]

Heres my wife Richa. She looked happy but i knew she was concerned.[​IMG]

All set and ready to roll.[​IMG]

I was gonna do this ride with 5 other guys from the local motorcycle forum. I met with a couple on the delhi bypass road. One of them was Bunny Punia who is also a prominent member here.[​IMG]

Thats his bike in front of mine.[​IMG]

We stopped at Delhi border to pick up another 3 riders. And yes, sponge bob was riding with me again,
    [​IMG]

We waited.....
    [​IMG]

And waited and till it started getting brighter. The sun was coming out.[​IMG]

And we were on road again. The speed you see here is in kmph. I was doing about 65. This was going to be the fasted i was gonna clock on the entire trip. :bluduh[​IMG]

While i was riding slow, some guys were flying past me on their faster bikes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But that only meant more photo ops for me. God, how i love the fog.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh look, someone muttparked a truck
    [​IMG]

This is Bunny punia. He's a auto journalist.
    [​IMG]

God must have heard me, coz then came the most dense fog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a newly constructed Flyover. It cuts shorts the riding time by atleast half hour which otherwise would have been spent honking in the city traffic below. This overpass lets you flyby the city of Panipat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We reached over first checkpoint of the Day, The City of Chandigarh. It was about half way from Delhi, appox 250 kms. We tanked up and continued..

[​IMG]

Soon after the smooth mountain roads began. I knew this was only superficial and was not going to last long.
    [​IMG]

What a lovely morning this was going to be, i wondered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting less smoother...

[​IMG]

Getting more slippery and muddy. I can predict good. I should be a fotuneteller.

[​IMG]

Aha, A land slide. Within 300 kms of starting my ride, i see a boulder being broken up into pieces to clear up the road. This ride was just getting started.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The highways were usually filled with Trucks like these which can swerve around to take up your lane too.

[​IMG]

Whats that in the distance.....Oh fish, a traffic jam in the mountains.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unplanned butt break. The road was being cleared up because of recent landslide. (As recent as 10 minutes ago)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After riding for some more distance, i felt the bike was not pulling fast enough. So i checked the engine and huh whats that, engine oil leakage.
    Fishy, because i dont even remember when was the last time i put some in. lol3

[​IMG]

No problemo, lets buy some and fill her up.

[​IMG]

And in the meantime, pose for some self potraits in dorky glasses.
    [​IMG]

The sign on the right says, Manali, 173 kms. I told myself, its gonna be a long haul and i had aleady been riding for 12 hrs.

[​IMG]

Soon after crossing that sign, i started hearing some weird noises. Like clink, clank, thwank, gutrrrrrrrrr, keeeechh. You know what i mean. The sound of loose chain.

So i brought out the tools and tightened it. Soon, the chain became so loose, that i came off the rear sprocket. Oh dang, first the engine leak now the chain. Well, i am not a well versed mechanic but i can take care of a few things. So i pulled out the chain over and put the chain back on, tightened it again and was on my way again,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guys came back to check if all was ok.
    [​IMG]

But no all was not ok. I soon realized the chain was a goner and i had to get a new one. I pushed my bike uphill and reached a village where the village mechanic had a spare used chain that he put on my bike and it worked pretty well after that. The scenery also started changing. It got more cooler and greener.

All this extra work had caught me off guard and i took a little time to relax.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the town of Mandi, another 100 kms from Manali
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The raging river below meant, heavy rainfall in the higher mountains.

[​IMG]

A ghostly face in the clouds.

[​IMG]

It soon started drizzling and i made some ground to catch up with the guys who had already reached manali.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. OldWombat

OldWombat Suzuki DR650 SE

Oddometer:
    Western Australia 200ks South of Perth by the sea
    :clap :lurk :ilmostro
  12. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    I was at 18370 feet for more than 1 hr. But i was always at an average altitude of about 13000 Feet. Riding up and down all the time. First two days were very hard, but Diamox (medicine for acclimatization) helped. After that, i was able to endure some hardships as you would read further :)
  13. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Chanderjeet, you and your motorcycling buds are :thumb

:lurk
  14. gaspipe

gaspipe Wandering Soul

Oddometer:
    Excellent!

:clap
  15. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it, tuned in. Hang in there.

(BTW, I think I've seen you over on the adrenalinejunkies site, pretty sure...)
  16. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Hello Chris,

Awesome!:clap :clap thanks for sharing your ride. Looking forward to the rest.

Books from Bikers!!!!!! Your doing it!

Ready to join in. :kumbaya :cob
  17. KrazyKonrad

KrazyKonrad Will BBQ for Gas Money

Oddometer:
    Great RR.

Did you need to adjust the carbs for altitude?
  18. Tifighter

Tifighter thread killer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing more. Great read on a Sunday morning...thanks.:clap
  19. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir, I leaned the mixture and removed the airfilter foam.
  20. DeBandi

DeBandi Exploring Alabama

Oddometer:
    Awesome report:thumb

Thanks for taking the time to share....