180mm clutch disk BMW vs VW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hasenwerk, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am getting a quote for QTY 6 four puck ceramic discs. How this is the OE clutch supposed to be 6.5mm or ????
  2. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is awesome.

:lurk
  3. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Torque damping
    Jbrjbr21 likes this.
  4. Rob Rideout

Rob Rideout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering how much heavier the sprung disc is over the unsprung OEM. I have heard of complaints in VW drag racing circles where shifting problems were blamed on the input shaft not slowing down quick enough or too quickly for fast shift due to the added weight or lack of weight based on the disk type (4 puck) or materials used. I don't know if anything was ever proven one way or the other, It's not like the VW trans was designed for that anyway, just stirring the pot.
  5. Wheresmurph

Wheresmurph SEEKER OF PEACE

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  6. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  7. Burnszilla

Burnszilla BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer:
  8. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:

That looks identical to the one from Bug city made by Sachs for $40.
    I didn't check to see if some of the BMW car clutches are the same as the motorcycle clutches. It would be neat if they were some that were the same for a better price.
  9. Rabbitson

Rabbitson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sure would!

I didn't know sachs were making there own version of the BMW item and selling it for less! Have you got a link for that?

David
  10. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    180mm is pretty small for an automobile clutch. The Volkswagen Golf / Jetta has a 228mm to 240mm clutch depending on model.

As for these cheap eBay clutches - $10 says it is a Beetle 180mm clutch!
  11. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    All I have is the bug city link in my post. When you see something underlined and it turns yellow when you run your cursor over it, click it and it takes you to the link. Bug City

http://www.bugcity.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNEW.cgi/mi=yes/srchcd=111141031E

Max BMW has this set up for R1200GS

[​IMG]

http://www.kenma.com.au/fatcat.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.356enterprises.com/EngineRebuild.html above is $85
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    Nice find on the 356 Enterprises part!

<table border="0" width="800"><tr><td>Regarding the fat-cat clutch disk. Those guys want 999,00 &#8364; / $1,356.12 for a simple one-way sprag clutch riveted into the plate. Jeezus. That's all a slipper clutch is, a one-way device added to a standard clutch. Apparently a sprag clutch is the current $800 to $1500 darling of the aftermarket.

Remember the one way turnstile at the market? That's a sprag clutch. An inexpensive industrial device. Automatic transmissions have a handful of them. They are not costly.</table>
    http://www.fat-cat.eu/bmw-parts/bmw-anti-hopping-kupplung-fuer-r-1200-boxer-2.html
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

<BR>
  13. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lot of people are unaware of a slipper clutch side effect. You can't push start the bike.
  14. Kevreif

Kevreif Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where the west and north branch susquehanna meet
    ever try and push start a GS? haha you have to go like 30mph, just a wee bit faster then i can run:rofl but yeah i want my engine linked to the rear tire unless i tell it other wise. if i want to do an emergency stop i'll pull in my own clutch!
  15. Anorak

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to add that detail in case someone was considering a slipper but wasn't aware of one of the details.

A GS can be bump started. It takes some wherewithal and coordination. Use second gear and drop your ass onto the seat just as you dump the clutch. The moment it catches, disengage the clutch. Good times.
  16. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Minneapolis (don't even ask how i end up here.
    I have Bump start my 11GS at least 50 maybe 60 times over the last 15 years with out much trouble (Try to start a 950 if you want to feel real pain), it helps to live on a Hilly city (no more than 30/40 feet run out) or the help of one person
    Hell I have even done it by my self (after a few trys) by running like hell and then jumping on the bike (No more than 7 maybe 8mph, I guess)

Ps: TKC's & big knob tires's are far harder then standard tourances or other street tires but it can be done none the less

You are right Josh is all about the Butt
  17. Anorak

Oddometer:
    One day you'll have to meet my friend Kent. He's been riding dirtbikes since he was about 7. He can bump start or kick start anything.
  18. maalstroom

maalstroom Ferret Legger

Oddometer:
    Best GSpot thread in months.:thumbup
  19. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Does the extra 5mm hub depth have any effect? or does it just give a larger engagement surface with the input shaft? That could be a good thing, spreading out the load could lessen the spline wear. Disc thickness could be taken up by shims a la Touratech ceramic. But my only real concern would be, what happens when the clutch wears down the friction surface of the disc, but not the small section that is inside the pressure plate? Would this result in some issues since the inner surface of the pressure plates are not machined smooth? Just wondering. Other than that I'll definatley be looking at this when I need to replace the clutch on my 11GS
  20. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer: