180mm clutch disk BMW vs VW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hasenwerk, Feb 15, 2010.

1. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have quantity six, 180mm diameter, 6.5mm thick (friction surface thickness) four puck ceramic clutches coming to me from my clutch builder. Correct splines / hub thickness for the BMW R1100 GS - direct drop in with out the shims needed for the TT / Sachs clutch. I had to get six because of the custom build so, one for me and five for ???? Pricing I have no idea... definitely more than a standard Beetle clutch but way less than the TT / Sachs clutch! :freaky
  2. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    very interested
  3. arboffroad

arboffroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it will fit an hp2 enduro I am interested
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to mention, it brought Ricky Patineto out of the woodwork... :thumb

My mind has been cogitating on Poolside's comment about the unbalanced clutch disk wearing the splines... wild and scary hypothesis, and you have to wonder why the mother ship would let such a glaring flaw slip through.
  5. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Are they balanced?
    BTW, nice job on the winter Olympics so far.... :super
  6. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
  7. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Any further details such as brand or model? I don't want one of these!

But, the splines look OK......
  8. jasonTDI

jasonTDI TDI Guru

Oddometer:
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    The offset hub, combined with no pilot bearing, is what causes the spline wear. It'd require some imagination to get a pilot bearing there because of the clutch actuator rod.

I agree though, a longer 'snout' on the clutch hub might help matters. Since the input shaft wear is from the snout side of the clutch hub. There is some extra spline that the clutch hub isn't engaged with, so another maybe 15mm of clutch hub would have spline.

The VW clutch disk does have a longer snout, I think, from what the OP was saying. So maybe it doesn't even need to be faced to length and can be used as is.

<BR>
  10. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
    Dang I posted the link. Click it for more info.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmw_clutches.html

This site is pretty interesting. I think it is current they have R1200GS clutches for sale.
  11. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes they are balanced! The place that is making them for me makes their living doing clutches! :wink:

Yer welcome on the Olympics - I'll be paying for them for the rest of my and my kids life - enjoy them!
  12. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no idea if they would work or not... well... I take that back... I think the 1200s have a different spline count so, no, I don't think the discs that are getting made up will work on a 1200 series bike.
  13. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    These guys lists clutches for sale, but don't have any to sell... else I and a few other people would have bought them. They look like a good idea!
  14. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    RB Racing scares me. When I read the website, I expect a giant fist with big skull rings to punch me in the face.
  15. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have any experience with this?

http://www.sunshinecoast.ca/bmw/InputShaft.pdf

:dunno
  16. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like "how could it be bad?" But DAMN! Holy expensive! :eek1 Although I guess if their claim for longevity is accurate, it's worth it. :dunno
  17. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is why I eschew motorcycling, and motorcyclists. I have tender cheekbones.
  18. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Expensive...yes!

The metallurgy, broaching accuracy, heat treating and lubrication all need to be right in order to eliminate clutch/input shaft spline failures.

Also, I am a proponent of balancing the whole clutch assembly in order to eliminate the clutch disc "whipping" at the end of the transmission input shaft. Other than the rear wheel, the clutch assembly is the largest diameter, highest mass rotating part in the power train. Therefore, balance is a critical element in reducing unwanted forces and vibration...just as important (if not more so) as balancing the engine.
  19. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have, it's my link. The prototype is in my machine now at 39,000km and I plant to look at it next winter. (I will post my findings)
    There was a lot of interest in it but I could not 10 orders to go ahead with a batch run. The price is high when compared to the OE part but what people did not factor in was the 12+ hours labour to change it out each time. I was having these made onshore and I am not willing to go elsewhere to have it done. The reason for the high cost is because the improved shaft has to be machined twice, once to create it, then out for case hardening and then machined once more to bring it to the exact size. Have a real hard look at the part....there are many processes required to make it - a complex piece with just about every dimension critical.
  20. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    Addict,

I have no doubt that there are high costs associated with this piece. After all, it is not a mass produced item. Do you know the Rockwell hardness of the spline area? I have yet to open up my clutch inasmuch as I have no issues with shifting or other signs that my splines are junk (only 40,000 miles, mostly just touring). But, one day, I'll go in and see what replacements, if any, are needed.

I'll be interested to see your report next winter when you go in to have a peek. Keep us posted. Thank you.

PS, Next time I'm in BC I might schedule a visit to talk metallurgy and machining with you. I do business with a Vancouver outfit.

Dennis