180mm clutch disk BMW vs VW

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by hasenwerk, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    I don't get what you're referring to.

<BR>
  2. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Throwout bearing?
  3. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question here...according to the parts fiches the OE part # for the 1100 stock clutch is 21-21-7-670-453.
    The part # for the 1150 is 21-21-7-670-454
    Anyone know what the the difference is?
  4. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:

The rivets that hold the hub to the clutch plate are bigger (slightly taller, maybe 0.5mm and fatter heads) than the original BMW disc. Does the spring plate ever touch the disc? Will post photos tomorrow.
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    That is an interesting feature of the clutch actuator. The throwout bearing is built into the slave cylinder.

<BR>
  6. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK - Sunday noon hour update!
    Clutch is in, had to experiment with shim sizes for a few hours - this is critical - too thin and it just doesn't work - and I had to machine down the thickness of the hub to within a few mm of the original size - original length will leave not enough room for it to float on the input shaft in my opinion.

Now, the catch is, my disabled Volkswagen TriStar TDI is in the way of getting the bike out of the garage door... have insurance, weather is good... :cry

Hopefully a test drive on Monday. :clap
  7. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :tb

[​IMG]
  8. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty much.
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    All that's left is to get that running on straight jatropha curcas oil.

<BR>
  10. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I made it snow here... :cry Had the bike at the door of the garage and the family ready to help get it thru the people door on my garage when it started to snow. Now there's 5cm of the white stuff on the ground and it was -9C this morning. They're calling for +3C by this afternoon so.... let's hope we can put the "Hasenwerk clutch" thru a nice test when I get home from work.
  11. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Yea, bummer! Was talking to my nephew in 153 mile last nite. I thought of you right away.
  12. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got the cow out of the barn today - handle bars were wider than the door, but the handle bars also turn so - kein problem!! :lol3

The snow didn't melt today like I had hoped and my shaded driveway was ice covered so I drove a stop and go circle in my yard today and all is well. Very smooth engaging and disengaging so now is just a road test to get a real feel for how this clutch works.... I'll keep everyone posted! :deal
  13. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well today was the day. Only +2C with ice and snow on the driveway but I got the bike out road with out any napping and did a ride into town and a whole bunch of stopping and starting. All I can say is "wow... nice clutch!" :freaky

First off - a bit of detail into the final clutch design that I used. I wanted to make sure that the clutch had shaft play. A VW beetle clutch as is won't work on a BMW as the hub is too thick and there is a good chance of it binding up and that would not be very fun. As far as I can calculate, on the R1100 GS the disc will sit about 1mm in from the end of the input shaft. Shown is photos of the BMW and the Hasenwerk disc at rest in the BMW gear box to show how much play is needed. The hub of my disc is a few mm thicker than the BMW disc so it will be distributing the load over more of the shaft to keep it in better condition.

[​IMG]
    Original BMW disc

[​IMG]
    Hasenwerk disc

Also a side by side comparison:
    [​IMG]
    Hasenwerk disc on left, original BMW R1100 GS disc on right.

A shot of the Hasenwerk disc in place.
    [​IMG]
    Hasenwerk four puck disc assembled on bike!

Reading everywhere about the TT disc, everyone says that it is grabby and it's real exciting for the few few 100kms. Well, I would have to say that this is smooth as silk - no sudden on or off feeling - I have to say it is a better feeling clutch than the original BMW unit by far!

I am going to offer these clutches for sale at my web site. I don't want to go into details about pricing and all here as this will be shown at hasenwerk.ca and in the vendors section of advrider.com where that sort of stuff should be.

At last a reasonable alternative for a clutch! :clap

14. KShow

KShow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks awesome. Does anyone have any idea as to what will happen to the visable areas of friction material inside the pressure plate as the clutch wears? Will this create a "step" that binds on the pressure plate or will it just wear away clearence as it needs it? Anyone???
  15. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    My guess is it will just wear as required, maybe giving some binding problems very late in its service life. Again, a guess.....
  16. GS Addict

Oddometer:

Still curious about this.........
  17. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    The difference would be 15mm - R1100 clutches discs are 180mm in diameter and R1150 clutch discs are 165mm in diameter. The hub is the same.
  18. hasenwerk

hasenwerk Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think too much will happen for a couple a reasons. First, there isn't much room in there for it to bounce around as the input shaft of the gear box isn't going to allow that. Also, just like the original disc there is maybe 2mm or 3mm of wear and it's time to get a new disc - so not much is going to be sticking "up" and it won't be for a very long time as this is a lot tougher material!

My original disc at 139.990 km was 5mm thick so that's 1.5mm in about .1mm a year. Like Touratech says - clutch will outlast the bike!
  19. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>
    The call it 'friction material overhang' isn't going to have any more effect as it wears than would a friction material underhang. For example, a brake pad doesn't cover the whole width of a brake rotor surface, and though it wears unevenly it isn't an issue.

Pads on wave rotors have a similar overhang as the Hasenwerk DiskĀ™, and don't suffer any ill effect.

<BR>
  20. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    Thanks