1875 Stage Route - San Diego Co.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sandiegoland, Dec 12, 2005.

1. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    It starts when you notice something on a street map, like "Stage Coach Rd". Hmmm. Then you pull out some old maps and find, "yeh, the 1875 Stage Route went nearby there." Now it's the topographic where you find a trail marked "Old Stage Route." Next Google Earth or Terraserver for some satellite photos.

Look promising? Hardly. You see I live near a big city. Near the sprawl. Folks outside of town live there because they want some privacy and open space. They lock gates. Then there's the international border, the fires; local and federal governments have quarantined certain zones. 4 out of 5 of my field checks come up against locked gates. So when I find an accessible fragment of historical trail that I can run on my bike it is a big victory. In this case a 2 mile section of old cut road. It's slow going, but it was in the old days too. There's time... it's not dark yet.

What the topo shows...
    [​IMG]

What Google Earth shows...
    [​IMG]

Google with topo overlay...
    [​IMG]

edit added my tracks to GPXchange for easy downloading and viewing of topographic map.

It's certainly not torture getting out there; SR-94, and why I like to ride to the trailheads...
    [​IMG]

The Old Stage Route has its ruts...
    [​IMG]

Not as difficult as it looks, but worth taking the extra time to pick your path...
    [​IMG]
  2. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    A peak I chose to hoof it on foot to (the one labeled 1549 on the topo)...
    [​IMG]

A commading view of the valley below...
    [​IMG]

The terrain this road cuts. Like a big pile of rocks (notice the tall rock along the road to the left)...
    [​IMG]

Some extra scrapes were made no doubt when they put these high voltage lines in sometime after the last topographic survey...
    [​IMG]

You just know the Stage Drivers had a name for this landmark rock along the route...[​IMG]

Sometimes when you ride you think, "good thing I don't have to go back down that way." In San Diego County you can pretty much count on it. A locked gate about 2 miles into the road...
    [​IMG]
  3. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    On the way back down I checked one of the side roads carved out no doubt when they put in the high voltage lines. This boulder has a nice little cave carved into it. Natural? Man-made by the construction crew? I was alone and not about to stick my head any closer. We do have some wildcats and worse in this area...
    [​IMG]

I pass by this rock. Nope, gotta walk back and get a photo of it. Do you see what I do?
    [​IMG]

Take a closer look. Maybe I just needed another break...
    [​IMG]

As I rounded the bend on the way down there was a redtail hawk perched upon that landmark rock formation. You'll have to picture it there yourself because it took off before I could snap this photo...
    [​IMG]
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Looks like a fun ride. The scenery is pretty cool there!
  5. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    nice report dude!