188 mpg - F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by grandpa_ken, Oct 30, 2008.

1. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Today while coasting down hill the fuel usage computer shows I'm getting 188 mile per gallon.

What's your best?
  2. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imagine what you would have gotten with the engine off!
  3. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I think I actually managed 199 for a few seconds while test-riding an F800GS.

--mark
  4. Wade

Wade Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Capital City of the Great State of Minnesota
    Oh really! Really! :rolleyes
  5. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have seen 199 mog but I have the "detuned F650GS :freaky
  6. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Don't try coasting with engine off-You will have a locked up transmission and very long skid. (read the manual:deal )
  7. mnthope

mnthope Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the fuelling in the US is different from Europe which effects the mileage. I have about 1200 miles on my 800 and the best average I have gotten is about 55 MPG during a tank where I was taking it real easy and averaging about 55-60 MPH. With my other bikes I usually get better mileage than other riders of the same model, but the folks in Europe seem to be getting much better MPG than I am experiencing. In the latest BIKE magazine they got between 73-83 MPG without really trying.
  8. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Yeah - our gallons are different from yours.

How can costing with the engine off destroy the motor? I don't have a BMW, but I don't see how if the engine is in neutral, the motor could possibly know if you are moving or not.
  9. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    Anyone see the CW article where they reported the ZX-14 reports it gets a steady 15mpg when cruising at a constant leisurely 186mph?

I find that very hard to believe.
  10. Ducman69

Ducman69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Werd, and its chain drive unlike most Beemers, so what would need special lubrication in neutral coast? *shrugs*
  11. supercub

supercub ass-less chaps rule!

Oddometer:
    my tiger gets 1 trillion mpg:rofl :deal
  12. Nemesis

Nemesis just ride the damn thing

Oddometer:
    People, people, people.......Please!

You all do know the OP is referring to the real-time MPG display on the On- Board computer, don't you??? You all also know that most modern fuel injected bikes shut off the injectors on closed throttle when RPMs are somewhat north of idle, don't you? You all do realize that 199 MPGs is simply the maximum value displayed, don't you?

F800 motors are great motors, but they don't consistently get high one-hundreds in fuel mileage.

:eek1
  13. GreaseMonkey

GreaseMonkey Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer:
    The only county in Illinois with no train tracks
    I'd believe that. The oxygenates that are added to fuel here (as mandated by the EPA) not only raise the price but reduce the gas mileage.

The ironic part is while I do not believe there is anywhere in the US that sells non-adulterated gasoline, it is still what is used for federal fuel mileage figures even though the average consumer cannot purchase it.
  14. Round-I-Go

Round-I-Go I won the Pullet Surprise

Oddometer:
  15. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    semi dry sump tranny can overheat with no lube. My friends 650 single locked up and he broke his pillions leg. The twins manual says do not coast with engine off.
  16. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. If the engine isn't running, neither is the oil pump, so there's no oil pressure to the trans.
  17. Dave92029

Dave92029 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was riding on a steep down hill in 4th gear at 30mph and the OBC indicated that I was getting 160mpg because I had backed off the throttle and there was no load on the engine. :D

The F650 engine has very good torque at very low rpm, so if you are riding in the moutains going downhill in 6th gear, I bet the obc would show 199mpg, and the engine would probably still be at 2000 rpm. :rofl

It seems like it is very difficult to lug this engine, and if you are riding at a pace so that you can see the scenery, it should be very easy to have the obc indicate very high mpg. I seem to be averaging about 60mpg with riding at interstate speeds and brisk rides through mountain twistys. :freaky

The engine develops it's max power in rpm range that I like to ride 4,000-6,000 rpm and still delivers great gas mileage. :clap
  18. Schtum

Schtum Free Genie

Oddometer:
    The rest of Europe measures fuel consumption in kilometres per litre. Even here in the UK, gasoline and diesel has been dispensed in litres for a good number of years. However, we still measure fuel consumption (gas mileage) in miles per gallon - probably because the miles per litre would be mixing Imperial and Metric units and not too accurate.
  19. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct-amundo...Imperial Gallon (UK) = 5 quarts, USA Gallon is 4 quarts
  20. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    they probably don't use ethenol in there gasoline, that will lower gas mileage.