188 mpg - F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by grandpa_ken, Oct 30, 2008.

1. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A gallon is four quarts, regardless

Imperial gallon (UK or Canadian) = 4 Imperial quarts = 160 fluid ounces
    Imperial quart = 40 fluid ounces

Gallon (US) = 4 quarts(US) = 132 fluid ounces
    Quart(US) = 32 fluid ounces

So it would be correct to say that Imperial gallon(UK) = 5 quarts(US), but that is mixing measurement systems.
  2. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So basically you can coast in gear with the engine off, but don't you dare put it in neutral or pull in the clutch on a long downhill with the engine off.

Of course, for a modern FI bike, coasting in gear with the engine off uses EXACTLY as much gas as coasting in gear with the engine on. So basically, don't turn your engine off when the bike is moving on a BMW.
  3. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, what are the numbers coming in at for average mileage? Just curious....
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Seven fill ups so far, all sorts of speeds, terrain, etc: 52 mpg. That's US gallons, BTW.

David
  5. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    You all are confusing me. Can someone clarify the dry sump transmission issue? I understand that the oil pump runs when the motor runs, but why would neutral be a problem? Are you saying that the oil pump is run off of the tranny rather than, say, the crank? But still---isn't the transmission entirely disengaged and not moving when neutral is selected? Why it need lubrication at that point?

Does this really mean that say, you can't get a tow out of the woods behind your buddy or something? Makes no sense.
  6. jagec

jagec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In a nutshell: if the transmission is moving and the engine ain't, bad things will happen eventually. Idling in neutral is fine, but the transmission is still moving even when no gear is selected...so if you gotta tow the bike out of the woods, put it in top gear and take it easy.
  7. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Thanks...

And, not to continue hijacking this riveting thread about faux MPG, but I guess I'm trying to understand what drives the oil pump as a way of grokking the situation.
  8. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    57 MPG for daily commutes over 50 miles city and country roads.
  9. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    But if the engine is running in neutral, the oil is pumping.
    Coasting down a slope in neutral means the oil is pumping.
    Coasting down a slope with the engine off means no oil.

I don't understand why running in neutral could be a bad thing (as far as the engine is concerned--rider safety is another issue).
  10. Skippii

Oddometer:
    The pump runs of the crank, not the tranny. Otherwise, if we warmed up our bike for a minute or two before riding it like we're supposed to, we'd all have seized engines before we even got on the bike.
  11. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Right. So why would it make a difference whether the bike is in high gear or neutral?

Oh, and I just picked min up...can't say the mileage. I think it must be around 1000
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    people realize that and are joking...only your the one who missed the joke.
  13. Skippii

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine why you'd want to do it in high gear. If the bike will run, why are you towing it?
  14. Professor Badass

Professor Badass ROTC Special Forces

Oddometer:
    1 US Gallon = 128 fluid oz
  15. priller

priller -

Oddometer:
    we have different octans here (at least in my neck of the woods). high caloric 98 and 95 are standard - no 91, 87, not to mention 85. therefore gas here is more caloric. i didn't carefully checked my bike yet but i seem to get slightly better milage on my fj cruiser. that said, i bet manufacturers set efi specifically for every market.
  16. spoof

spoof on backwards

Oddometer:
    Obviously I'm not going to tow a running bike anywhere. This thread is the first I heard of this and it made me curious about when it might present a problem. I figured if something happened to prevent the bike from running when I was in the middle of the sticks, I might want to hook up my towdowns to a friend and have him pull me out (that's why I carry the towdowns, right?).

Here's what it says exactly in the manual:
    Transmission lubrication is only ensured when the engine is running. Insufficient lubrication can lead to transmission damage.
    Do not allow the motorcycle to roll for longer periods or push it over longer distances with the engine switched off.

My dealer hadn't really considered this. The tech dept. had a little conference when I inquired and they responded that it was OK to push/tow the bike for a few hundred yards. More than that, don't do it.

On topic: Haven't even been through a tank yet in the 28 hours I've had the bike (slacker, I know)...so I can only confirm that mileage appears--thus far--to be infinite.
  17. robhar54

robhar54 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    HUH. That's good information, thanks. Guess I'd better read the rest of my manual...! It does seems like a limitation on an adventure bike. I've never actually used my tow-downs...but I do carry 'em with me. I guess the design assumption here is that the F800GS won't break down...

Rob in Seattle