'19 BMW R1250 RT vs '19 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour - Long

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by T-88, Jun 18, 2019.

1. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Soon to be in the market for one of the 2 and have ridden both but not extensively. I keep forgetting to ask the owners about fuel mileage and how far each will go between fuel stops. I'd assume the Bmw is far superior in the mpg department but fill me in. Thanks
  2. Ride1st

Ride1st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only have a little over 1000 miles on my new R1250RT but have been averaging around 42 mpg. This is mostly running around on local 2 lane roads, and riding 2 up at least 1/2 of the time.
  3. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my assumption, too, but nope.

I keep detailed fuel mileage records using the Road Trip app on my cell phone. The average fuel economy figures are therefore CALCULATED "actual" numbers, NOT estimates provided by onboard computers.

Average fuel economy for my 2014 BMW R1200RT was 5.13 L/100 km, (premium unleaded.)

Average fuel economy for my 2019 Honda DCT Tour Gold Wing has been 4.91 L/100 km, (regular unleaded.)

I was surprised the Gold Wing achieved numerically superior fuel economy than the RT, and it uses regular fuel instead of the premium the RT requires. So the Wing is cheaper on fuel, period.

And don't heed the whiney complaints you hear from last gen Wing owners that Honda catastrophically reduced the '18-'19 Wing's fuel capacity to 21 litres from the last gen's 25 litres. The '18-'19 Wing can go 400 km without making you sweat, with fuel to spare.

Tim
  4. Berardi3

Berardi3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Stelvio and am looking to get into the touring rigs.
  5. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    Wow, that mileage surprises me and pretty much contradicts what I just read on a few mileage reports elsewhere. Although the Wing was a lot closer than I expected and it seems that the auto shift does better than the manual versions. Throw in the cost of the higher octane needed in the RT and yea its a wash.
  6. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, those MPG figures for the Wing are much higher than what I've been reading. It could be the Canadian models have a different tune than the US spec'd models. :hmmmmm

The RT figures are completely identical to other's experiences, including my own with a wethead GS.

I was and am looking at getting a Wing for my touring adventures, but recently picked up an interim touring bike, a camhead RT. I used to own one and really liked it, but got bit by the wethead bug and ditched it for the GS. Anyway, the right deal at the right time at the right place.....

In my experience, the camhead RT achieves the best MPG of any big bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a bunch. It will routinely get 50+ MPG with a slightly gentle right wrist.
  7. baloneyskin daddy

Oddometer:
    .A potential mileage problem for the Wing might just be the intoxicating sound of that motor under acceleration. I had it in sport mode and it sounded and felt like an exotic performance motor and loved the way it shifted. I can easily see my mileage dropping into the 30's.
  8. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't get me started . . .

The new '18-'19 Wing's exhaust note is apparently a problem with a small number (but very vocal members) of a Gold Wing forum I frequent.

These vocal few complain incessantly about the so-called "drone" of the new Wing's exhaust.

The new Wing DOES have a louder exhaust than the previous gen's, and to MY EAR, is delightful.

For you sports car enthusiasts, it sound just like Porsche 911, no surprise since the Wing and Porsche 911 share the same flat-six cylinder engine layout.

I love the exhaust note. And yes, stimulating one's aural pleasure centre with the throttle can lower fuel economy. :)

Tim
  9. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The new 1833 gets as good mileage as was stated above - I took many long road trips and 250+ miles to a tank was doable.
    Better range than my '02, no comparison.
    raw2210 likes this.
  10. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I rode one of the DCT Wings last fall. A very, very well sorted bike, though they did have to give us a bit of a class on how to start the fool things. I've always liked the Wing platform, had a really old one until I got tired of fixing it. It was a refugee from the 80's, so I can' blame it for breaking.

The only thing I disliked about the new Wing was the DCT. It was smooth, no doubts there. But that thing has a 2 liter engine, that's bigger than the engine in my car. It should really haul ass pretty well, but the example I rode didn't go any faster than my old Gl1100. I assume that's the DCT, automatics tend to neuter smaller displacement engines. That said, I didn't get the chance to ride the new Wing with the manual, so I can't really be certain.

Had I the cash and were I doing that kid of riding I'd spring for a new Wing without thinking about it overmuch. They're really well built motorcycles. I'd go for the clutch though. I've kinda decided that if I can't run a clutch I don't belong on a motorcycle. That is just me though, and perhaps I'll change my tuned when I become even more decrepit than I already am.

One thing's for certain. If you do a lot of motorcycle touring there just isn't a better steed.
  11. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Honda DCTs accelerate faster than the manual equivalents.
    raw2210, olie and T-88 like this.
  12. T-88

T-88 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree.

The vast majority of cars equipped with automatic Dual Clutch Transmissions (VW Golf GTi, Golf r, Audi A4, Porsche 911, etc.) have significantly quicker 0-60 mph and quarter-mile than their manual transmission counterparts, AND the DCT-equipped cars usually have higher official fuel economy ratings, to boot.

DCTs simply shift gears faster than a human can.

Tim
    raw2210 likes this.
  13. steingar

Oddometer:
    Not taking your work for it, sorry. The new Wing isn't that much heavier than my old one, but has two more cylinders and twice the displacement. It should scream, and the DCT Wing didn't. Automatics don't do the number on larger engines than they do on smaller ones. I'll demo the version with the clutch one of these days, but I bet cash money it has a crapload more giddyup than the DCT. Yeah, computers can shift just fine, but they can't anticipate a rider, and they don't manage power for beans.
  14. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Clearly you didn't use manual mode. DCT is significantly quicker at changing gear than any quick shifter in this mode because the next gear has already been preselected and waiting until you hit the upshift button/paddle. You probably left the bike in Tour mode. How long was your test ride?.
    olie and T-88 like this.
  15. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    :scratch

You must be referring to the 2024 version.
    HuntWhenever and Blakebird like this.
  16. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    Such a tired reply to the subject of DCT vs a manual. Many people confuse a DCT with the 70 old technology in the hydrostatic torque converter equipped automatic transmission in the family Truckster.

I suppose they can’t be helped, DCT has only been out there for 10 years.

Technology does “the number” on an inquisitive mind like that.

And the flash of his man card finishes it off. Classic 2012 reply.
    e.t., Blakebird, phughes and 3 others like this.
  17. steingar

Oddometer:
    I'm comparing manual vs automatic car from a couple years ago. Night and day. Like I said, I haven't ridden a clutch version of the new Wing, but I will one of these days. I'll let you know my findings.
  18. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the RT. It is a superb mile muncher. I had a 1200 WC...it was the BEST handling touring bike I have ever owned. The new engine would be great.
    T-88 likes this.
  19. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you remember what riding mode you were in? Sport mode is very aggressive. The bike is speed limited to 112mph, but you didn’t mention top speed, so I’m not sure if that’s relevant. It’s a very strong bike and things happen quickly but very smoothly. I owned a 2017 RT that I put a lot of miles on and loved with all of my heart... until I bought my DCT Tour. Now I love it, for many reasons. The RT was more sporty - the Wing is more tour’y. For me, at the moment, the Goldwing is perfect
    Florida Lime, T-88 and dduelin like this.
  20. steingar

Oddometer:
    I tried a few different modes. I found the sport mode to be quite snatchy, and the guy riding alongside me said the exact same thing, neither of us liked it.