'19 BMW R1250 RT vs '19 Honda Gold Wing DCT Tour - Long

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by T-88, Jun 18, 2019.

1. neanderthaler

neanderthaler Long timer

Oddometer:
    The demo bike you rode possibly needed a clutch initialization. I just did mine to my bike for the first time in the 13,xxx miles I've had it and it made a big difference in "grabbiness." I'll definitely be doing this in the future as part of regular maintenance. Simple procedure. Not trying to sell you on the DCT idea, but you'd be missing out if you didn't try one that was working perfectly. I'm sure the manual model is incredible too. Can't go wrong either way
    dduelin likes this.
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Florida, but soon fulltime in Robbinsville, NC
    I rode a standard manual Gold Wing (non Tour) and the Sport mode does feel snatchy at first .
    After a while, it felt fine, the Tour mode felt sluggish. :D
    dduelin likes this.
  3. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I wonder how many GoldWing customers are choosing the Wing because of its DCT? As compared to having decided to buy a Wing, and then getting the DCT?

Me? The DCT really calls me. Not having to shift appeals to my older hands
    Evoraptor and olie like this.
  4. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Then I'm really glad Honda makes it and you like it. Different strokes for different folks. Like I said, its a really fine machine, and for its mission I doubt there is anything better.
  5. Sininja

Sininja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a lot of references to age being an excuse to liking the dct... I'm 39 and traded my Ktm 1290r in on one. Bike matches my riding needs and the dct is just plain old superior. Same reason I bought a ZL1 with the 10spd auto, it's better. I used to be hardcore manual only but times have changed along with technology.

Attached Files:

6. fiveover

fiveover Disciple of Jesus Christ

Oddometer:
    Just bought a used AT with DCT less than a week ago. The more I ride it the more I like it!
  7. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    Just curious, what is maintenance like on the new Gold Wings. Really curious about tire changes. Valve adjustments etc.
  8. olie

olie Long timer

Oddometer:
    these 2 are my choices if .... I get rid of my 13' C14. Still on the fence as it gotta be a great bike to replace that old Kawa.
  9. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    I have owned several RT's and a 2012 Goldwing, among many other bikes in my 53 years of riding. My favorite RT was a 2008. Put many miles on that one. The 2016 RT I bought later never felt right regarding the suspension so I sold it and went back to an R1200GS Rally. Love the handling and quick shifter of that bike but it isn't as good a transmission as the 2016 Africa Twin DCT I owned. The main drawback to that bike was I could not buy tubeless spoke wheels for it and didn't want to rely on the outex after market solutions that hasn't worked well enough for me, so I sold it even though I loved the DCT.

I test rode a 2012 RT, 2012 K1600 and a 2012 Goldwing with my wife onboard. She, without question, loved the Goldwing so I bought it. She wanted to know why I had never owned one before. The K1600 we test rode, felt top heavy where the Goldwing felt great in slow parking lot riding and was very stable on the road and handled rough roads good enough. I didn't like the "old tech" controls of the 2012 Goldwing but for two up riding, I think it is the best bike on the market. The new Goldwing with DCT is what I really want now but I still do some off road adventure riding so I am keeping my R1200GSR for now but have my eye on a 2020 Africa Twin ES DCT or maybe a new Goldwing Tour DCT.

I have test ridden the new Goldwing DCT and love everything about the bike except for the GPS. That is where BMW shines. IMHO, BMW has the best GPS setup of any bike and Honda is still way behind in that one area but I can always mount a Garmin GPS to a Goldwing and live with it.
    916Rider likes this.
  10. zx12-iowa

zx12-iowa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends what one likes I guess. The wing isn’t the bloated couch it used to be but still rather anemic performance wise compared to a k1600. I had one... key word - had... Many wing riders (as is obvious in this thread) put a premium on comfort and ease of riding than wanting performance in addition to touring. If one likes to push it in corners or travel in triple digits now and then, well these are folks wanting a wing. The wing is kinda the Toyota Camry of motorcycles. Cant really compare a wing to a ZL1 lol (I’m a fan of the zl1 btw -awesome car).
  11. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The RT would leave the barge in the distance.

It is an unfair comparison, actually.
  12. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    The DCT option is the only reason I would buy one. I have test ridden them at the Long Beach Motorcycle Shows and I love the bike with DCT. I need to rent one and take it for a weekend ride if I can find one not too far away.
  13. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    8,000 miles for oil changes, there is an extra filter for the dct if you get that, valves are 32,000 miles, but dealer suggests to skip since they have never adjusted a single valve. I found that the new Dunlop tires last around 10-15,000 miles. The air filter is still a nightmare to get to, really the only maintenance issue on the bike.
    Dan Diego likes this.
  14. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyway you can put a prefilter on that's easy to get to? Would make an air filter last for years.
  15. Socalstrom

Socalstrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, but unless you are riding in really dirty environments it looks like they last 20-30,000 miles before they need a change. Probably because it’s so buried. Cruiseman’s garage has super detailed videos on how to do it, or just pay the dealer the few hundred dollars to do it when the time comes. Either way the maintenance is pretty cheap and basic on these things.
  16. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe change the air filter at the first valve check?
  17. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, I need someone to talk some sense into me..... I have a 2011 R12RT that I bought new, only have 30,000 miles. It has been totally flawless , never been in the shop for anything besides a recall, maintenance and tires. I've got it set up perfectly with a full Remus exhaust, Touratech seats and GPS.

So I got bored the other day and rode a new Tour DCT, I liked it but I like the Non-Tour better for the basic suspension and looks. I wasn't able to ride a manual transmission and while I know they shift faster, shifting gears has never been an issue for me and really what's the point of being a few tenths faster on a Goldwing...

Am I crazy to let go of the perfect RT for the Wing?
  18. Motard_Menace

Motard_Menace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "You only live once"
    DirtMerchant and BigIron like this.
  19. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    The DCT filter doesn't need to be changed at every oil/filter change. I did because it's cheap and easy, but not req'd per the manual

valve lash inspections WERE 32,000 miles with the old 1832cc engine - the interval with the 1833cc Unicam is 24,000
  20. NarcoPolo

NarcoPolo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is my experience: I have an R1150GS. Like your RT, it has been flawless and I have it set up with all the accessories to fit my needs, including different windshields and seats depending on how far I am traveling. This has been my solo touring bike and I have been very content with it. My wife quit riding with me when our children were born, but now that they are grown, she recently expressed a desire to ride with me again. I bought a new Gold Wing DCT Tour model in January. I decided on the DCT based on the overwhelming positive reviews it has received, and the decision to get something very different from my GS since I planned to keep both.

For the first few hundred miles, I thought the DCT might have been a mistake for me. It didn’t take me long to stop reaching for a non-existent clutch lever, but the downshifts didn’t seem to match my riding style and shift points, and they seemed to unsettle the bike in slow corners at times. Now, at 1000 miles, we are in harmony. Maybe the computer adjusted to my riding style, or I adjusted to it, or both. I find it effortless to ride - in a good way, not a boring way. When riding aggressively, I can concentrate more on my cornering lines and braking points with the bike handling the shifting. It reminds me of a similar experience I had going from an inline 4-cylinder CBR600 to a V-twin Aprilia Mille for trackdays. The torque and broader powerband of the larger V-twin required less shifting and freed up some mental capacity that could be used elsewhere while negotiating the racetrack. Of course, on the DCT I can always switch to manual mode if I want to take over the shifting decisions, but I haven’t found myself doing that very often.

I have found the riding modes help a great deal in tailoring the bike to my riding style. In stop-and-go city driving, I find the ECON mode gives smooth throttle response and shifting. Riding backroads with my wife has me using TOUR mode which gives better acceleration than ECON. And when I want to crank it up, I go to SPORT mode. It holds gears longer for more aggressive acceleration and downshifts more aggressively also. It feels very much in sync with my riding style.

I rode both bikes today. I rode the Gold Wing to an appointment, and then later I rode the GS to my daughter’s house to help her with some home maintenance (Kudos to her - she is an Emergency Room nurse). I took the GS because it has Jesse bags which allowed me to carry a bunch of tools to use at her house. As I was riding home this evening on the GS, I reflected on both bikes and decided that I am going to sell the GS. I find the Gold Wing so enjoyable and comfortable to ride, I don’t think that I would choose to ride the GS over the Gold Wing very often. For the riding I now do, I have found the Gold Wing to be great for ME. I like the smooth power. I like the lower seat height and center of gravity when moving at walking speed (and the powered forward and reverse walking mode for maneuvering the bike in tight places). I like the power windshield, the dash display, Apple CarPlay, the tire pressure monitoring, the heated grips and seat, and the luggage that automatically locks when I walk away from the bike. I like filling up with regular gas. And I like the way it looks. I don’t know if the Gold Wing is a better bike for you than your RT, but I sure wouldn’t try to talk you out of it.
    rauchman, Stretch79, Wambo and 8 others like this.