Sold 1954 BMW R25/3 - NE Georgia

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by SilverV, Jun 17, 2019.

1. SilverV

SilverV Lake Hartwell

Oddometer:
    I’ve traced its lineage/owners back as far as 1968. The bike spent its life in Germany until 2009. I’ve contacted previous owners in Germany and have a reasonably accurate history, down to the Swiss ammo pouch that belonged to Dieter Drews who mounted it on the luggage rack circa 1983, exactly where it resides to this day. Regretfully Dieter passed much too early and as such, I will not be removing it. In the late 60’s she suffered a catastrophic engine failure and around 1968 received a correct 250 cc engine from a 1955 R25/3. That engine has been rebuilt twice over the years, most recently in 2011. This is a one kick bike that is such a joy to ride. It only receives non ethanol fuel and requires some extra time at each fill up to answer questions and talk to people.

I have German owners and service manuals as well as English versions along with a large box of parts and memorabilia, including every rubber bit on the bike, powdered and sealed in a large glass jar. I list it here to measure legitimate interest and as such, have not set a price. But, as the rules state, I can say that I’d have to consider something in the $7k range.

Please understand, this is a mechanically restored bike that I ride into our small downtown for coffee at least monthly. But there is patina. The paint is mostly original as well as the hand painted striping. The rear fender was repainted in Germany in the mid 90’s as a result of an overcharged battery that caused a bit of corrosion on the fender. Every effort has been made toward originality and to maintain the scars of a life well lived. I have not added turn signals or any modern upgrades. She still runs 6v electrics and everything works as it should. The chrome points cover is not period correct but I received a picture of the bike from the late 80’s and that cover was there...no plans to change it.

Enough said...and there’s tons more to say. I can’t promise I won’t get cold feet about parting with her, but family and unforeseen obligations are forcing my hand. I prepared a cold start video as well as a walk around video, but don’t think I can post them here. If you’re seriously interested, please provide your email or text info and I’ll send them over.

Here are a few pics:

B93F3B18-E201-46D5-B361-0D6346DC8C6E.jpeg
    0C1A4183-7247-4F26-BDDA-7566205E0D74.jpeg E7D3279B-F404-4F32-A9EA-80273F165318.jpeg 84A02C7F-6821-4AEE-8079-AA9B787204A9.jpeg

Attached Files:

slime, local1, BIG OIL and 27 others like this.
  2. SilverV

SilverV Lake Hartwell

Oddometer:
    Just back from a rejuvenating ride into town. Stepped back into the garage about 20 minutes after returning and was quickly reminded of one of the best things about owning this bike. The smell in the garage should be bottled! Nothing like a warm vintage engine and the mixture of gentle mechanical smells that emanate after a good warmup ride.

Anyway, a long winded bump on a Sunday afternoon.
    Kris, local1, lucky6600 and 8 others like this.
  3. tt28

tt28 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,
    Could you supply me with some more photos and your contact info.
    Thank you, Todd motorrader@verizon.net
  4. SilverV

SilverV Lake Hartwell

Oddometer:
    On their way Todd. Thanks.
  5. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't mind, can you push a couple of those photos my way as well? And maybe some maintenance history details like wheel bearings and such?

Thanks.

Grandprix_67 at hotmail dot com
    lucky6600 likes this.
  6. SilverV

SilverV Lake Hartwell

Oddometer:
    Done...thanks Jim.
    Jim K in PA likes this.
  7. SilverV

SilverV Lake Hartwell

Oddometer:
    Appreciate all the inquiries. TTT...thanks.
    ttime4four likes this.