1964 Royal Enfield Interceptor 750

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by ddavidv, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Center-stand

Center-stand Long timer

Oddometer:

I think the primary difference is acetone penetrates deep and carries the oil with it, then evaporates leaving the oil where it would not go on its own.

I've used it more on rusty nuts and bolts than engine interiors, but it works great for getting oil into any tight place.

From ddavidv's description, I don't think he has enough rust to need to remove the head at this point. If the rings happen to be stuck, the mixture might be helpful.

2. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've watched a number of Youtubes comparing various rust reducing products and the acetone method always places high in comparisons. The guy on Project Farm has several vids on various penetrants, and his stuff is well thought out and his tests very thorough.
    The way I viewed the shots on the scope, I couldn't tell if was seeing corrosion or carbon but it only takes a small flake of rust caught under a valve seat to cause a burnt valve - don't ask me how I know.
    Eatmore Mudd and Mista Vern like this.
  3. ddavidv

ddavidv The reason we can't have nice things

Oddometer:
    I received a suggestion on YouTube that I should remove the heads anyway because the pushrod seals will be rock hard by now and need replaced so maybe I'll go ahead and do that.
    MrBob and Webman like this.
  4. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Good deal. Better to deal with knowns that ambiguity. :thumb
    Eatmore Mudd and Webman like this.
  5. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that Royal Enfield Twins were unique among OHV parallel twins in having separate heads for each cylinder, but maybe I'm wrong. While I'm here I will point out that they were not common here in UK, so I hope you can find a good source of spares. Personally I quite like the look of the later models and of course the final Rickman framed ones.
    Eatmore Mudd, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  6. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    The AMC twins had separate barrels and heads too.
  7. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had one back in the 1960s. Lovely bike with smooth acceleration. Used to eat sports cars for breakfast.

Just one problem, the nuts on the long engine mounting bolt at the bottom of the engine would unwind. At that point the handling would get 'interesting'.
    I used to carry spare nuts. I hadn't heard of Nyloc nuts back then.

LocTite them.
  8. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    My hunch is Hitchocks motorcycle is about to become your new best friend.
    Fast Idle, Mista Vern and Webman like this.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pulling the heads let’s you assess the valves and such too. With an air cooled engine, it’s generally not that big a deal.

That said, I wouldn’t without reason. If the engine spins over freely, and has compression, I’d probably leave it alone at first.

Sure, the seals are probably hardened. But as long as they’re undisturbed, they’ll likely hold oil back.
    Mista Vern likes this.
  10. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice find. :thumb
    Impressive condition actually. And I wouldn't sweat the magneto, probably clean up and work just fine.
    My Interceptor was in very rough condition and required a restoration. Yours will be great brought back as a survivor. They sound amazing, you will be blown away the first time you fire it up.
    RE750asfoundsmall.jpg

1a+ (15).JPG
    JerryH, AZbiker, numbat and 10 others like this.
  11. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    They are unique. AFAIK they were the only production twins that were dynamically balanced. The others were static balanced. Most of Enfield's twin production was exported mainly to the US. That was pretty crappy for the UK guys who wanted them. Now all these years later brokers have been scouring the US for anything and everything Brit bike and exporting it to the UK to feed the addiction back there. The other thing is the classic bike addiction has fanned the flames of classic bike aftermarket, new made and NOS parts haven't been this obtainable for over forty years.
    AZbiker, Fast Idle and Mista Vern like this.
  12. zzzak

zzzak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's one for sale in Australia and here's one that was sold.

In US$ that's about $17000 and $20,000.
    AZbiker, Fast Idle and Mista Vern like this.
  13. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    My Witworth tools have arrived. Had some home improvement projects to take care of this weekend but should start removing things in the next few days. I've decided to send the mag out for a refresh. Speaking with a competent rebuilder there are parts that can age out inside. As I am weakest on things electrical I'd rather not leave it to chance. It's also been said the Lodge plug wires are garbage so we'll take care of those at the same time.
  14. ddavidv

Oddometer:
    At last I had some time to tear into the Interceptor.
    It figures that the magneto is considered a separate assembly and the parts book doesn't really address it with any sort of exploded view. Removing it is a bit counter-intuitive. There are three nuts on the outside/backside of the timing case that you would logically think you'd remove to pull it off. Except, no. Remember that this has a chain driven gear on the opposite side. So the timing cover must come off.

When I pulled the cover off some fragment of metal fell into my drain pan. That's never good. I later found a second piece, nearly identical to the first. Where the heck did these come from? All the gears look okay. But the main timing chain is massively loose. And the adjuster is against the stop for the loose adjustment. Well, that ain't right. There's a part of the inner case where the chain wore away some metal while it was slack. Cosmetic damage only, so no big deal.

Eventually I find where the two chunks came from. They are tabs from a piece on the advance assembly. Looks like they would be there to prevent over-advancing of the weights. Both are broken off in an unpleasant way.

[​IMG]

Shit. The advance assembly doesn't seem to be made anymore. Hopefully I can find another, or that piece. Consulting with my magneto guru at present.
    Hypothesis: the tensioner nut was not tight and the tension doohickey (pretty much what it is; just like a KLR) slacked off. With the two cams no longer in sync (nor the mag) I bet it ran like shit and is probably why it got parked. Could it have backfired and caused this damage?

I also got the rusty battery/tool box off. Only broke one bolt. Also removed the seat in the most difficult way possible. I'm cussing the engineers at Redditch asking why they put the most inaccessible bolts on the forward part of the seat. After finally getting it off I'm like, "Oh, now I get it". The seat is meant to come off with the rear mudguard. I kind of recall it being something peculiar from watching Michael Waller's Indian Trailblazer restoration but couldn't remember what the secret was. The tool box is salvageable but probably needs blasted. The underside is rusty which is a shame as the paint on the topside is still really nice. Not sure I could only do the bottom half.

Carbs are off. Slides were seriously gummed up. Buying a ultrasonic cleaner to deal with those.
    zookster, Amphib, Webman and 2 others like this.
  15. Mista Vern

Mista Vern Knows All - Tells Some.

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update!
  16. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might find that a K2F Lucas advance off another make will work. I see several on ebay but none in the USA. Your mag guru should know.
    If you don't have any luck finding one I might be able to help. I have a mostly complete 1964 interceptor engine and transmission. Have the heads and carbs too.
    Plus a box full of misc. spares.

P1160684.JPG

This may be another alternative. Not sure if it will fit but a good chance.
    Not original I know, but might be more dependable. Lot's of good advice over on the Brit Bike site. I joined when building mine and got lot's of good help.
    Cheers
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacemen...313351?hash=item3feb5766c7:g:CywAAOSwTeNfCXIf
  17. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Magnets weaken over time. Makes the spark weak. IDK who can re gauss magneto magnets but magneto rebuilders should know.

If the magneto thing isn't going to work out for ya, points and coil is an alternative. Another alternative is electronic ignition. If you go that route I'm gonna suggest Power Arc because it's optically triggered (more stable ) and works over a wider voltage range than the others.
    AZbiker and Mista Vern like this.
  18. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice. I love all the old British vertical twins. I owned a 1966 Triumph Bonneville back in the mid '80s. I went looking for another one several years ago, and found the prices on nice ones quite a bit out of my range. I bought a 2013 Royal Enfield 500 single, converted it from EFI to an Amal carb, and put a Triumph peashooter pipe on it. I currently have just over 12K miles on it, with no serious problems but lots of smaller ones.

I can imagine parts for those old British Enfields are hard to find. I have had good luck with Marvel Mystery Oil as far as freeing up stuck pistons. I just pull the plugs and fill the cylinders up with it. I also like to fill the crankcase completely full of oil, right up to the filler cap and let it soak. Laying the bike on its side (both sides actually) with the crankcase full of oil can soak the entire bottom end in oil, even the piston wrist pins.
    AZbiker, Webman and Mista Vern like this.
  19. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Not too hard. There's a few outfits but Hitchcock's in England is the most known supplier of new, used and newly made parts for restoration and daily riding.
    AZbiker, Mista Vern and Webman like this.
  20. Webman

Webman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to thread jack, but can you outline some of the issues you've experienced over in one of the other Enfield threads? I read several of them, but haven't seen a lot of updates of late regarding issues owners have had with the UCE 500's.