1966 Ducati 160 Monza Jr Rebuild

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by DesmoDog, Nov 1, 2009.

1. d mc gee

d mc gee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the build up of a familiar bike! Went and rescued our buddy Mike on an 860 Duke tonight.:lol3
  2. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy.

Oddometer:
    Mike's riding an 860 now?

I wonder if he still remembers this bike, it's taken a long time to put together even by my standards. I know I'm slow but this one has been ridiculous. :shog
  3. d mc gee

Oddometer:
    He's got a 860 rider, a nice looking 900 GTS. And he sold this a couple years a go.
    [​IMG]

It was hot rodded a bit.:wink: Glad I got to ride it. It was pure sex!
  4. d mc gee

Oddometer:
    Yes he remembers the bike, we've talked about the build thread a few times. Nice job BTW!
  5. DesmoDog

Oddometer:

This is an old picture, but I've still got mine! :D

[​IMG]

That was taken at Mid-Ohio in 2005.
  6. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    Wiring. Takes me forvever...
    [​IMG]

The only way to stop the engine is to pull the key out, so I added a kill switch.
    [​IMG]

The handlebars aren't round where I have the switch though, so if it gets spun it gets loose. Not a huge issue as it shouldn't get spun in normal use, but I might remove it and use a switch in the side of the headlight instead. It's on the right in this picture. This headlight isn't from this bike so the switch isn't used otherwise
    [​IMG]

The throttle and choke cables took a bunch longer than they should have too. It seems to be a theme with this bike.
    [​IMG]

Tidying things up but still not done with the wiring. I still need to build a base for the diode, fuse, and terminal strip I forgot to buy...
    [​IMG]
  7. RecycledRS

RecycledRS Along for the ride

Oddometer:
    You do nice work.
  8. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    How did you set up your wiring? I'll be doing that to my bike next year.
  9. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'm taking a few shortcuts to get it ready for Barber but I intend on going back to address the shortcomings during the shake down process and/or over the winter.

I spent a lot of time figuring out how the new switch worked since I didn't have diagram for it, then integrated that into the stock wiring diagram. It's pretty much just the stock wiring with a few components moved and a ground wire added here and there. I also added the kill switch of course, and today put a front brake switch into the mix.

I had considered doing an alternator mod (going to 4 wires) and using a different type of diode but I don't know much about electrics and didn't want to venture into the unknown on this one.
  10. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    Aside for connectors on the battery cables and the rear brake switch, the wiring is done. Here's a picture. I can not believe it took me so freakin long to get to this point. This shows everything under the seat, including the battery.
    [​IMG]

I just couldn't bring myself to mount the battery there though. I know the battery is sealed, and can be installed on it's side, but I just didn't trust it. So I bought a fake battery and will put the real battery inside that. If the charging system blows up the battery or the vibration cracks it or I just get a bad battery, whatever, now it will puddle inside a rubber box rather than run down the painted fender and frame. Here it is with the battery box in place (underneath where it used to be)

[​IMG]

But finishing the wiring isn't the milestone I'm talking about... what I mean there is, the rest of the (planned) work can all be done with the tank and seat in place. Pardon the poor pics but it was raining outside (though it's sunny now!) and I couldn't get to the door anyway. (Messy shop!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aside from some obviously missing parts, that's what it's going to look like.

Now to make it run...
  11. hoodellyhoo

hoodellyhoo Dummy

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap

Looks great!!! Wish I could come down to Barber and see it.
  12. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    Alright, who's the smartass that hid my exhaust clamp? Come on, I know it was one of you guys... where is it?

No, really, this isn't funny anymore. Where the hell is my exhaust clamp??? :huh

I think it may be time to clean my entire shop, and all the cabinets, shelves, drawers, etc...

No, it didn't run this weekend either. But it's got oil in it, it turns over just like it should, and the oil pump works. So I've got that going for me.
  13. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    Those guys come in to my shop too....:huh

But they suck at cleaning.
  14. HapHazard

HapHazard Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    As they say in Bologna, "Atsa nice!!!"

Congratulations on such fine work! :clap

Can't wait to hear how she goes!
  15. kraut.burner

kraut.burner "Fun Club" President

Oddometer:
    WOW!!!! so beautiful

congrats.... now get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labor! :clap
  16. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Gorgeous, nice work :clap:clap:clap
  17. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  18. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comments guys, it is SO close to running now. I had some (imagined) issues with the ignition but now the plug sparks when it's supposed to and doesn't spark when it's not supposed to. Still haven't found the exhaust clamp.

I should have gotten it running this weekend but something came up and I'm not going to be able to work on it much, if at all.
  19. DesmoDog

Oddometer:
    I found the exhaust clamp a couple days ago. it was right where I thought it was supposed to be, just hiding in the corner.

So... I've been buttoning up a few loose ends the past could days, got home tonight and thought... it should run. The battery isn't wired in yet, but it doesn't need the battery to run so what the heck. I dumped the last of my lawnmower gas in it, fiddled with this, tweaked that, kicked it over. Fiddled with this again. Kicked it a few more times...

And it BARELY started. JUST turning over, and then died. So I tweaked a few more things... and Tah dah!

It runs. Even seems to have decent throttle response. And backfiring through the carb doesn't seem to light anything on fire.

So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

:clap
  20. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    :clap :clap :clap