1967 Bridgestone 350 GTR

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Fast Idle, Sep 17, 2018.

1. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    From the looks of the broken engine cases someone did the old 5th to neutral to 1st gear trick.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  2. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ :rofl
    :photog
    villageidiot likes this.
  3. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Wondering what might have happened. I'll bet it got their attention :lol3.
  4. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were physically large bikes at the time, not much smaller than the Brit twin-sized Suzuki Cobra. I was surprised to see the GTRs were still in production until 1971 as Bridgestone went out of the Australian market around 1970 and I don't remember seeing GTRs sold after '68 or so. The smaller Bridgestones were popular here as they were well made and some of the prettiest Japanese bikes around, and they were slightly cheaper than the other Japanese brands. The GTR was $A689, against the Kawasaki 350 at $A729, though Kawasaki dropped their price a bit when the Suzuki Cobra came out at $A725. The Brit 650s were around the $A950-$1050 mark at the time as a comparison.
    JagLite and Fast Idle like this.
  5. dankoji

dankoji Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i also have a GTR (68) that I just acquired a couple weeks ago. Just began process today of getting to the engine to remove to take apart so interesting to find your resto thread just now. Will be interested in knowing what parts you might sell after you are finished. Mine is minus front fender, headlamp, seat, front brake handle and rear shocks which were replaced with solid metal strap. Will remove the engine hopefully tomorrow or soon after. Dont know why I started on this today as I'm in the middle of a cleaning up another bike that was running but needed some attention. This GTR is missing a lot obviously but actually had the exhaust pipes but probably too much rust to save. It has the tall handlebars. It appears to have just sat for a long time but I think the engine might be all serviceable good parts. My VIN is CT29754 on the title. Ill check the frame and engine tomorrow. I'm new to restoration of old bikes although old enough to remember seeing a Bridgestone or two back in high school. dan
    JagLite, Fast Idle and Richarde1605 like this.
  6. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Might let go of some extra parts down the road. I'll let you know once this build starts coming together. Still sorting it all out.
  7. dankoji

dankoji Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the consideration. I am a bit anxious to see the internals of my engine after seeing your situation. I apologize if I appear to hijack your thread. I was just real excited and amazed to see someone going thru a GTR in realtime while as a noob i was just taking peak at one myself.
  8. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Never seen a street bike as scratched up as this one. Maybe they didn't have a gravel pit to play in so they used a rock quarry instead.
    DSC00096.JPG
    The overall condition of the bike isn't that bad but it looks rough. How can it be so scratched up but otherwise OK.
    Then I think back to our first bikes as teenagers. Whatever bike we had was our do anything bike. It was a street bike, dirt bike, hill climber and daily transportation all in one.
    DSC00077.JPG

Looks like the dent and the broken center stand happened at the same time. At least the piece was in one of the boxes. :photog
    DSC00084.JPG

The fenders look to be stainless steel and aren't too bad but will need some attention.
    DSC00073.JPG
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    I pulled the engine the other day so I could get a closer look and determine it's over all condition. The air cleaner is kind of unique.
    DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00094.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    The carbs lay behind the side covers and are mounted straight on to the rotary valve covers.
    DSC00101.JPG
  10. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Of course one of the choke plungers was seized. I gave it a shot of deep creep and let it sit while continuing on with the engine removal.
    DSC00102.JPG

Interesting that this bike also features a dry clutch.
    DSC00100.JPG
    The engine is ready to come out.
    DSC00105.JPG
    DSC00106.JPG
  11. dankoji

dankoji Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gotta tell ya, that bike looks really good for its age to me. At least from my perspective. the one I'm fiddling with must have been parked under a (Indiana) eastern white pine tree for a while. It has old needles sitting in the engine crevices. Also it is the second vintage street bike (RD350) Ive seen lately with a dual sport tire on the back and judging from the dirt on the frame and elsewhere, it was ridden like one too. So I am really envious of the cleanliness and completeness of the one you have, with or without scratches.

Curious, when you get a chance could you tell me if there is a manufacturer name on your foot peg rubbers? Of course mine could have been replaced during its lifetime but have Harley Davidson printed on them. I would think a tire manufacturer who sold equipment to the other makers would have made their own rubber footpegs.
  12. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    No names on the pegs for sure and that's funny about the Harley pegs on it.
    Haven't bought much of anything for this bike yet but I did buy NOS Bridgestone foot pegs, front and rear.
    They are on ebay and you can get two new fronts and two new rears for under $40. They have NOS mounts too if you need them.
    front.jpg

rear.jpg
  13. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    BTW the world's largest collection of NOS Bridgestone parts is in Indiana if that's where you live.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  14. dankoji

dankoji Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes in Indy, Where is this treasure trove?
  15. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    It's in New Albany but all sold by mail order, no retail store. Guy's name is Richard Clark and says they have 20 tons of NOS Bridgestone parts and over 150 reproduction items.
    Looks like he's been buying up old dealer inventories for years. There's an email address at his website for parts ordering. I'm going to send him a list of what I need for this bike and see what he's got.
    http://bridgestonemotorcycleparts.com/
    JagLite likes this.
  16. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Ready to remove the heads and see what kind of shape this engine is in.
    DSC00067.JPG
    I did a compression test and scoped the cylinders back when I got the bike. It had good compression and looked good inside from what I could see.
    DSC00069.JPG
    DSC00070.JPG
    No surprises inside. Need to pull the cylinders and pistons to measure the skirt clearances.
    Going to remove the dynamo, oil pump, and clutch first.
    Clutch plates removed and it looks like it's time for the first special tool?
    DSC00074.JPG
    nuggets and JagLite like this.
  17. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    My selection of spanner nut sockets is like three. Wonder if I'll get lucky.
    Wow, the old 4-wheel drive spindle nut socket fits!
    DSC00076.JPG

DSC00077.JPG
    The clutch basket has three jacking bolt holes to help pull it. I used the clutch spring bolts but they were just a bit short so I had to get some longer ones.
    DSC00079.JPG

Now the side cover could come off.
    DSC00080.JPG
  18. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Pulled the dynamo gear next with a small 3 jaw puller.
    DSC00082.JPG
    Used an old M6 socket head bolt to protect the shaft threads from damage by the puller.
    DSC00083.JPG
    Cylinders off and ready to pull the pistons.
    DSC00090.JPG

The crankshaft nut is left hand thread.
    DSC00095.JPG
    nuggets, Pezz_gs, dpforth and 2 others like this.
  19. fast1075

fast1075 Not a Lemming Supporter

Oddometer:
    The oily parts look amazing! And the pistons don't show a whole lot of blow by!
    Fast Idle likes this.
  20. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks really good.

Couple 2 stroke tricks I picked up building hopped up 50-75cc mopeds......

Put the piston in a lathe and take a .003” cut from the crown to 2mm below
    Bottom ring. It allows the crown to heat and swell but not stick.

In the wristpin boss, if there’s no oiling holes, drill one in each pin boss, then gotta de burr the pin bore, and polish smooth with a Knick of scotch brite in a dremel (take the bit that holds a cut off wheel and just screw in a little piece of red scotch brite)

Mark the piston at the “corners” of the studs, take a fine flat file and take a couple passes all the way down the skirt. Eliminates the “4 corner” seizure.

Sounds like some fucked up shit, but had 75cc 13,000 rpm old puch mopeds that survived a LONG time at WOT.