1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

1967 Norton 650 SS Winter adventures

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by steelerd, Nov 15, 2019.

1. steelerd

steelerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mini ride on the Norton 650SS base lining the carb idle after a few adjustments. :) hit a tiny issue which meant I had to turn back as a preventative measure an cut my ride short really easy fix though an she's allready fixed for another ride (note to self dont leave toolkit on workbench) been working on the Commando chassis tear down today.

Mr Head and B10Dave like this.
  2. wetwider

wetwider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Steelerd! Thanks. But say, I've heard you blokes ride & drive on the wrong side of the road because it's smoother over there, but in some places it looks a bit dodgy there too. What's the story?
    steelerd likes this.
  3. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    steelerd likes this.
  4. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Wetrider yep our roads are in bad conditon in places especially the Cat and Fiddle as it tends to get the brunt of the bad weather through winter. In one of the videos we were up there on xmas day in the fog.

Thanks RedDog was such a surprise them photographing us saved me trying to take my kit out.
  5. yokesman

yokesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I liked to refresh the idle screws orings on my 850 frequently, rtv over the screws after the idle set gave me reduced maintence, that and the business card thru the points once a week.
  6. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Thanks Yokesman good tips I had to do that in my previous carbs :) switched to a brand new set of chopped monoblocs really torquey feeling with the matching sleeves in the inlets but the slightest lean of the bike really can effect the idle as only one carb has a float. Much better now since the adjustment crazy how hard it us to find flat ground lol. An yeah tend to go over the points gap quite regular keep on top of it with my points guage.

Spent today stripping my chassis down on my 68' Commando shes going of for some chassis work an got the Crankshaft split apart on my work bench at the moment.
    yokesman likes this.
  7. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Had another ride out today to fettle the idle a bit more ended up nailing it today super happy! Also opened her right up the roar was insane sounded amazing.

Can't wait to share the video with you all when it uploads.

Hit some typical local weather for this time of year pea soup the gopro superview makes it look super mild compared to how it was haha.

Great day all round.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IslandMonkey likes this.
  8. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Video is up from today's ride not much to report really apart from the fact it was freeeeeeezing haha! really didn't expect the fog. Trying to show a bit more of the odd adjustment etc when I'm out an about Stuff like that rather than just one camera of me riding on her.

IslandMonkey likes this.
  9. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Squeezed one last ride in before the extra restrictions come in tomorrow been riding her every single day.

Decided I might as well start exploring the local area ^-^ looking forward to editing the video from todays ride.
    Super love this bike know I sound like a stuck record but really is a golden age to own an ride a Norton.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    yokesman and IslandMonkey like this.
  10. steelerd

Oddometer:
    Yesterdays ride on the Norton 650SS had a wander out down the leafy lanes of Cheshire out to Prestbury. Going to be focusing on workshop stuff now I'm in tier 3. Plan is to get the 68 Commando bottom end together by Sunday evening.
    Tomorrow will be spent cleaning and re cleaning components tomorrow, previous owner left glass media in the cylinder head on the Commando. Once she's sorted it'll be back on with the WW2 Norton.
    IslandMonkey likes this.