1968 Bultaco Matador m26

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by blaine.hale, Mar 20, 2011.

1. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Summer: Kemiö, Finland; Winter: North Germany
    My experience of Bul's is more towards the 70's I have to admit but when I look at the engine case of the bike I see that there are mounts for the chain tubes.

Maybe these early inhouse secondary chain models where not so good, but they do work very good when installed right. Expecially when you "only" could use chains without o-rings back in the days. When even MZ used them on their enduros they can't be bad as MZ whon most of the ISDT when the company was still in business:

[​IMG]
  2. Nevada Rider

Nevada Rider World Geo Rider

Oddometer:
    Mezcala, Guerrero, Sierra Madré del Sur, Mexico
    Yeah, but she is degrading rapidly from the UV and is a bit faded and brittle...

Well, actually, I'm going "fenderless" now, as I'm still seeking the right compound.

3. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Chain "rubbers" actually. On Montesa Cotas you actually had chain tubes, plastic tubes that the chain traveled through. They are the same idea as the chain rubbers, as found on the standard Bultaco M26 through the M107 and beyond. All of the really competitive ISDT bikes (well, except BMW...) had them in the late 60's early 70's. Look at old JAWA's, MZ's, and the like. They do keep the elements out of your chain, leading to less wear/longer chain life.
  4. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ohhh, yeah. I know about the enclosed chain system. I won't getting one complete for a while. The cast part that goes over the rear hub is hard to track and expensive.
    I just need an actual chain, at this point, to get her moving.
  5. GarageRat

GarageRat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I have one for you in GC. I will look for it over the weekend. If I do, it is yours for the cost of shipping.

Take care.
  6. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be killer!

Can anyone post close up picture of the rear brake lever assembly? Mine's ghetto-rigged so I need to hunt down the parts to bring it back to stock. Specifically, all the parts that capture the cable and such. This pic is a little too far back to make out the components.

[​IMG]
  7. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember on my Matador after a ton of use the chain and sprokets were toast......the enclosed chain deal worked great protecting the set. Anyway, the best we could do at the time to get her back on the trail was buy a new set and ditch the rubbers and wheel enclosure. We also had to go up from 428 to 520......it was a hack job but the old Bul was in the hands of a teenager and I wasn't thinking much about having her around for ever.:cry

Man do I wish I still had that bike!
  8. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:

Here as a drawing and from a newer model:

[​IMG]
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doh! That looks nothing like the MK3's setup. It runs on a cable system.
  10. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned, I sadly are not so well informed about the older Bul's models, the drawing is from a MK10. I practise and ride the Bul's and other forgotten "twinshock" bikes from the end 70's to the beginning 80's in classic competitions. My focus might be to far away here. :wink:
  11. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I was having so much trouble getting a reading from my multi meter to set the timing on the points, I ordered this awesome morris magneto timing tool:
    [​IMG]

In addition to that, I grabbed a new coil and some other tid bits.

Still need some preston petty (or the aluminum ones) fenders in black, a tail light, tires and a blasted chain!
    I'm definitely going to build my own wiring loom for it. Its like 6 wires total. I just need to order the correct colors and casing and have at it.

Tires I'm going with, since I had trouble finding a decent 3.00x21 trials tire at a decent price. The ratings on these were really great and the price is awesome...I'm used to $100 a tire on the blasted r90.
    [​IMG]
  12. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:

No information about tire prices in the US, but the ignition timing tool is very good to have, have one too, (from Motoplat) works really nice, it's a beeper isn't it?
  13. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    This one, in particular lights up and I think beeps...but not a continuous annoying beep. I saw it in action on some old triumphs and the guy explained why I wasn't getting a reading on the multimeter but would with this, so naturally, I had to have it.
  14. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    News!
    New coil, weather proof spark plug cap and magneto tool are in.
    The morris magneto timing tool works PERFECT. Finally, something that works for telling me when my contact points are open and closed, because that femsa system is balls hard to visibly see and a multimeter wouldn't read.

Tires are on their way. This bugger will be on the road and dirt soon.
  15. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of your guys with Matadors know what number AMAL originally came on them? (The concentric one.)
  16. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the thread on the actual monobloc AMAL body what holds the main jet service cap is stripped out. This means it won't actually hold that cap anymore and just dumps fuel everywhere. It's honestly not worth the trouble to find someone to add material and re-thread it.
    I had a spare AMAL 932 (the original carb on this bike) laying around from the 2 Bandidos I picked up. Ordered a refresh kit and all new jets/needle for it. Just waiting on those and the chain to come in.
    I think I might order some generic metal fenders and a tail light to get this thing tagged and ready to go for the summer.
    I've had one latent issue that I've always pushed to the back of my mind because it's something I'd have to split the cases again to look at.
    When I crank the bike and it's running, the kickstart continually makes that lovely ratcheting noise. You can hear it at the very end of the dirtbike video I made a while ago.
    <iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eaBzF6dwxgE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Sometimes, if I pull the kickstart forward enough, it will stop. Problem is, the kickstart spring isn't strong enough to do it on its own.
    We'll see how that pans out when I get it consistently running.
    At any rate, here's the fresh rubber on the front wheel.
    Still need to clean the spokes and mount it up. Same with the rear wheel.
    [​IMG]
  17. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on the above post about the kickstart?

I'm hellbent on getting it running this week. The new tires are on the rims, just putting the rear tube in tonight.
    I got an AMAL 932 in last night. It's a right side brit one...which really doesn't matter much. The only difference between it and the Spanish versions is metric vs. british standard. Aside from the tools used for the brit version, it looks like the threads are the same as the metric and I can just use the Spanish AMAL jets and screws on it...am I wrong? They seem to thread in just fine but I don't want things to go wrong later.

Next step? Order the generic metal fenders and hunt down similar colored wiring and start making a loom to get this sucker street legal.
  18. Jeffn

Jeffn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wish I could help out on the kicker buut will watch closely at your new loom as my 71 needs some low volt wiring too-looks like all you can eat linguini night right now.
  19. PSchrauber

PSchrauber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Main faultys for the kick starter are the springs getting old and loosing tension at first #5 and then #3 Problems with the ratchet gears are rare.

[​IMG]

Metal fenders are a must have for your bike in my opinion.
  20. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I somehow managed to seize the engine (new piston/rings) with out even getting to ride the sucker.
    How can you tell if it's a crank bearing or the piston/rings seizing without splitting the cases to get to the bearings? I pulled the head but the jug seems to be stuck, so I assume it's the piston that's seized. Got it soaking in marvel mystery currently.