1968 Hondaha build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Dixon, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Dixon

Dixon wannabe mechanic, mad scientist

Oddometer:
    When you install a Triumph engine in a Norton, you get a Triton. When YamaGeek put a lifan in his 68 Yamaha he called it his Lifanhaha.

So it makes sense that when you drop a Honda engine into my 68 Yamaha, you get a Hondaha.

This started out as a scrap yard 1968 Yamaha YG5-T. So far i've bought a 70cc Honda C70 motor for it. As well as ordered steel for the new motor mounts, all new electrical and brake components.

[​IMG]
  2. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Hi Dixon. I'll keep an eye on this one. One thing off the bat, the starter is going to complicate the upper engine mount.
  3. Dixon

Oddometer:
    I'd noticed that the starter motor was in the way. Im just going to make a delete plate for it, make this kick start only.

It's now all torn down. I've found a few more issues, thankfully nothing big. I'll post some pics after it's a roller again.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    That's cool man.

Side note; if you had an Enfield engine to stuff into it you could call it a Royal Enamaha.
    :D
    Pezz_gs and Dixon like this.
  5. YamaGeek

YamaGeek Skeletor sparklemuffin.

Oddometer:
    Well yeah, *if* you could get that big, heavy Indian lump to actually shoehorn in place of the old 80cc engine. There's not a lot of length room between the back of the engine mount and the front wheel, pretty short wheelbase altogether.

My 100 cc Lifan was marginal with the stock front fender. I seriously doubt a Lifan 140cc or other big cylindered engine would fit even with a Preston Petty high mount MX fender.
  6. Dixon

Oddometer:
    Pulled the starter, made a template to make the block off plate for it. Now the carb and intake can face backwards, rather than the forward way I had it.

I'm setting the engine back a bit, it's tilted in the photo, but it's been measured and will work. I still need to cut out, and weld on, the "adapter plates" for the lower mounting bolts.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bar-low and Pezz_gs like this.
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might want to raise the engine so the sprocket center and swing arm pivot are in line, it will make chain routing much much easier.
  8. Dixon

Oddometer:
    The motor isn't mounted yet, just sitting under the bike on a can of spackle. When bolted in place the drive sprocket and swingarm will be aligned.
    villageidiot likes this.
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looked as if you were using the bucket/can to set engine height, was just pointing out what should be the obvious before a bunch of cutting and grinding to re make the engine mounts
  10. Dixon

Oddometer:
    No worries. l used my CT-200, which this motor used to reside in, as a template for where the mounting holes and filler plates will need to be. Everything seems like it will work out, lign up. I will use a longer and lower shift lever, to accommodate for the motor being set slightly back into the frame. As well as having to notch out the drive sprocket cover, to allow for the swingarm.

I'm learning as I go and am having fun while at it. That's all that matters. I have my reliable bike and I have this to play with/learn with.
  11. Dixon

Oddometer:
    The engine is mounted, had to do a little carving. I've built and am putting the finishing touches on the "adapter plates" for the engines lower motor mount.

Oh yeah, might as well add a hot cam to this rebuild.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    villageidiot likes this.