1968 Royal Enfield Interceptor barn find

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Fast Idle, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Fast Idle

Fast Idle Since the Sixties Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it looks like I've found this winters project! Can't believe I stumbled onto this during our annual fall bike trip around the state. Aired up the tires and rolled her onto the sag wagon. The front brake even worked! Last registered 24 years ago, came with tittle, tag and workshop manual. :happay
    Initial inspection looks good. The engine had fairly clean oil inside and it turns over with good compression This will be a fun build. I think she'll come back as a period custom because stock is boring. Would look cool to ride her as is too!
    :rayof
    DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00016.JPG
    RE750asfound (6).JPG

RE750asfound (2).JPG
  2. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet. Super simple old school tech bike to work on. Get'r running good and go ride the wheels off her.
    pennswoodsed and Kiba like this.
  3. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Yes, never had one of these before but it does look really basic. Shares some parts with other British bikes of the era so I already have some spares for it. Maybe just a mild custom will be in order. I want to see if I can get it running before any major work. I have to clean out the gas tank first and see if it will hold gas.
    I like what this guy did with his 68.
    royal-enfield-left-side.jpg
    highnoonhunter, JagLite and oldfartrr like this.
  4. Foxed101

Foxed101 Monkeywrench

Oddometer:
    Great find! Looks awesome as is!

You can tell the bike has character.
    "So what if I was stowed away a quarter century ago? I'm about as ready as I ever was!":ricky
    JagLite, GR0NK and Fast Idle like this.
  5. huub

huub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow , nice find!
    those are completely unobtainable over here!
    i am jealous, a interceptor and a kawa H2!
    Fast Idle likes this.
  6. pennswoodsed

pennswoodsed lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer:
    I would keep it much the same as you found it , trials tires , solo seat and trail bars !
    Just wash lube and ride !
    shinyribs, victor441, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  7. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    You are reallllly lucky all the bits are there. I have a 56' Indian Trailblazer (RE Meteor rebadged) that was missing the engine and trans and bits here and there. It's been a gatdang slog to try and get those parts and figure out how they go together when I didn't disassemble it.

Lucky lucky duck, you are.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  8. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Seems that whenever I think all the barn finds have been found, something shows up. Definitely tempted to service everything and then ride her as is. One thing I've learned about finding old bikes like this is that they were all usually parked for a reason. I just need to find it and fix it. Hell, maybe I'll get lucky and it will be something simple! I'll need a stock taillight/license bracket for sure because I want it street legal. I plan to change all the fluids today and then start in on the carbs and electrical. I've heard these bikes sound really cool.:1drink
    JagLite likes this.
  9. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    I hear you for sure. I can't believe how complete this bike is, it's not missing much. Have you finally found all the parts for the Trailblazer? It does seem to be slim pickings for parts on these bikes. Everything I've been seeing is overseas.
  10. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    They do sound really cool.
    You are right. They do get parked for a reason. They also were made with a lot of shit quality parts, so things break and shear off and strip on the regular. They're neat time capsules though.
  11. kraven

kraven Hegelian Scum

Oddometer:
    Nah, I'm still looking for a complete engine and trans that's not astronomical. Everyone who has them seems to want to sell them one bolt or nut or component at a time, not as a unit. And the Indian parts (side covers with Indian logo, speedo, etc) are getting hard to find in good useable states. Lots of crap floating around out there. I'm not in a hurry. My impetus is to get it into rolling chassis state, and I might just use a new lean burn 500 RE mill or an XS650 engine in it. The Pre-Unit 700cc stuff is pricey.

The RE club will ID your bike for you and give you production date and whatnot, if you contact them.
    oldfartrr likes this.
  12. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll contact them and see what they come up with.
  13. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Inspected the cylinders as best as could through the plug holes. No sign of rust and the valve faces looked good. Dry compression test showed 130 psi on both cylinders so that's looking good.

Inspection (2).JPG

Test light hooked straight to the stator leads glowed bright when kicking over. I'll be dang, an old stator from " LUCAS, the Prince of Darkness" still works!

Inspection (5).JPG

Went through the carbs and they looked really good for almost 50 years old. The original brass cleaned up great !

insp2 (8).JPG
    A quick round of soda blasting and detergent washing have them looking good.

insp2 (2).JPG

Should get them finished tomorrow and back on the bike.
  14. Lounge

Lounge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dig the banjo bolts and hard lines for top end oiling.... I'm guessing that's what they're for??

:lurk
  15. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be my plan. Beautiful "period piece". Enjoy it for what it is.
    Fast Idle likes this.
  16. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    They replied right away, cool.

"Your Interceptor Mk.1A was dispatched from Bradford upon Avon on the 16th January 1968 destined for Cooper Motors of Los Angeles. Specification states “Scrambler, Chrome with Red Stripe”.
    JagLite, brucifer and kraven like this.
  17. Fast Idle

Oddometer:
    Finished the carbs today and reinstalled. I did a temporary patch on the already patched up wiring and hung a 2MC capacitor to see if she would make spark. Nice hot spark on both sides!
    insp3 (1).JPG

Didn't have to touch the points, could not believe how clean it was in the distributor. The advance was free too. Will revisit after I get it running and check the timing.

insp2 (1).JPG
    Cleaned the oil filter and oil pump screens. They all looked good with no signs of metal. Added fresh lube to engine and gearbox. Will button up the primary tomorrow.

insp3 (4).JPG

I need to pull the rocker covers and pre-lube the valve train as well as check the valve clearances. The first round of gas tank cleaning is done and there are no leaks!
    This bike is not that far from being ready for a start attempt.

Inspection (18).JPG
  18. duckman

duckman co conspirator

Oddometer:
    don't pimp that ride , its beautiful as is
  19. Solarmoose

Solarmoose electric Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually I think it was in Paul's shed, calling it a barn would be generous.
    BTW, I looked at two CBX's for sale this week. Both rough but mostly complete,
    I think I'll make an offer and see what happens.
    So the Interceptor left as a scrambler? Wonder the diff between it and the Sports model?
    I met the owner of this one at Norton Rally in Lumby BC. Beautiful bike and wonderful sound.
    http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-british-motorcycles/1968-royal-enfield-interceptor.aspx
    You didn't waste any time getting started...
  20. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, can't wait to see this bike running.