1969 AT1 mx

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by slidewayes, Jun 17, 2018.

1. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    My father was a racer in the 50's and 60's mainly Dirt track and road racing on BSA's and later a Yamaha TR3 late 60's he hung it up and bought some dirt-bikes for himself and his sons A Husky 400 and two Yamaha 125 AT1 mx Moto Cross was starting to grow and we jumped in Racing C.M.C races in So Cal Carlsbad - Saddelback- Indian Dunes This bike earned my brother a expert ranking in 1971 #39 and my self a expert rank in 1973 as # 91 ,This is what is left of the two 125's .Thanks to Dad in its prime it was one of the fastest Best handing bikes on the track With a hand built Aluminum swing arm Hand built Aluminum fuel tank most of the time it ran on Methanol At one time we had a 38mm pumper carburetor(GO Cart stuff ) total loss ignition we even tried nitro and put a 250 piston in it 192cc at under 200LBS it was Fun .After retiring it i put it on the street and road it to School
    So this is what i have left I figure for its 50th birthday I should bring it back to life DSCN0989.JPG DSCN0990.JPG
  2. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    1448170455906.jpg 1486511426371.jpg
    Brother (750) 1969 or 70 Myself (751) guessing 72 saddelback
    JagLite, MATTY, FR700 and 1 other person like this.
  3. poppykle

poppykle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My second bike was an AT1. Ported, Bassani pipe and 21 inch front wheel. A lot of fun, strip down on Saturday, race on Sunday and put it back together to ride to work on Monday.
    JagLite and slidewayes like this.
  4. MATTY

MATTY BORDER RAIDER

Oddometer:
    Awesome I am in I'll watch this to the end.
    What a brilliant thing to do get it up and running for its 50th.
    I have a strong affinity with these yamahas although I never had an at1,
    but I did have a 1973 at3 no ways a race bike just a bog standard and very battered road / trail version,
    I can remember enough about it to watch this builds progress with more than a casual interest.
    slidewayes likes this.
  5. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Great idea! Holy crap, that brings back a lot of memories. I may have even raced against you guys at some point! I certainly watched you race. I grew up in LA and raced those tracks in the late '60's-early '70's. Rode a stock Sachs 125. Never made it to expert though. So cool you still have the bike.
    slidewayes likes this.
  6. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Don't know what kind of budget to put into this after all it is only a 300 dollar motorcycle at best . I have a front end off a 75 YZ250b with a double leading shoe brake off an early 80s Yamaha yz possibly a IT The forks have some pitting at 400-500 to re chrome or 200 for new reproductions think ill see how bad they leak, It had some Koni Shocks that i am trying to save so far in to them a day waiting for paint to dry so i can re assemble after a good cleaning should be OK impressed an the 60s technology in them hopping for the best there at 5-600$ to buy new shocks
  7. mudmonster

mudmonster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brings back some memories great work...
  8. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    I have two sets of 35mm Showas from early 80’s Honda XRs with good chrome for a very reasonable price (free).
  9. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Thanks But no Thanks
  10. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    DSCN1008.JPG DSCN1009.JPG DSCN1010.JPG DSCN1011.JPG
  11. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    Some photos my progress front end shortened almost 2" still haft to make a wheel spacer for the brake took 3/4" off backing plate to center the hub, Koni shock not 1960s adjustable rebound "nice " had to make a tool to get them apart, front wheel has some cracks in it Think I'll weld them and run it ,maid some Bronze bushings today for the swing arm came out grate smooth as any new bike
    JagLite likes this.
  12. Fubars

Fubars What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer:
    Cool project, but I like that bike lift..
  13. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    trying get little done every day Did not like the way the swing arm was working .So pushed out the bushings in the frame an maid so new bronze ones Won't push them in tell assembly Should be the fix i'm looking for. Starting on the air intake with a Still Air box/plenum DSCN1015.JPG DSCN1014.JPG

Attached Files:

invisa-bill and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike was a 73 ATMX with 21 inch wheel and CT cylinder and ACK head. I'm re-building one similar now, and have it assembled but not running. I'm going to take it apart and correct some things before I ride it.
    slidewayes likes this.
  15. SFDemo

SFDemo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    FR700 likes this.