1969 Triumph TR6C - tire question - t-shirt

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by smax, Apr 13, 2017.

1. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    I finally convinced the old man that he should ship his bike out to Utah so I could get it running and keep it running. He bought it new in 69, then it sat for most of my life until a few years ago when it was running great. Needs a little work now, mostly a little rust in the tank and some carb work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My question is the tires. The rear is original. Yes, as in 1969 rubber. He has the original front tire too, but that was replaced a few years back. I live 2 miles in on a 10% grade dirt road (2 miles 1,00 vertical feet). I'm looking to replace the tires with something more 50/50 dirt/pavement or maybe slightly more pavement orientated (70/30?), but want to keep with the appropriate look. Original tires are front 3.25" X 19" and rear 4.00" X 18" both Dunlop. I'm thinking about keeping with Dunlop and going with the K70s. I see lots of great looking tires in pics here, but it's hard to read what they are. Any advice or recommendations?
    radguzzi, MrBob, spokester and 3 others like this.
  2. macwild

macwild Women? Where!?!

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike!

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
  3. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those K70's would be good.

I would not ride it anywhere with the "vintage tyres" - not worth the risk if there is a failure and you dump it.

0000_Dunlop_K70_Front_Tire_--.jpg
  4. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, the original tires are going on the wall in the garage. They will never be ridden again. I'm kinda scared that I rode it a few years ago with such vintage rubber.
    Kiwi Mo likes this.
  5. corsair4360

corsair4360 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Old tires are good for museum artifacts. Never for riding, they are no longer safe...
  6. mykill

mykill odd

Oddometer:
    I've been consistently running K70s on my Tr6 for years and love them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    spokester likes this.
  7. Old Mule

Old Mule Long timer

Oddometer:
    Overland Missouri, home of 1950s sidecar tech.
    ust don't be tempted to use wider tires on those Triumphs- they spoil the precision of the steering and handling.
    You have a real nice bike there.
    mykill and Kiwi Mo like this.
  8. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. sprints

sprints Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not only will you love the K-70's, they are about the cheapest new tire you can get. I totally agree about staying with the stock sizes - oversized tires will mess up your ride
    spokester likes this.
  10. krampus von der fan

krampus von der fan This one time at bant camp.....

Oddometer:
    I ran the duro 308 on the back of my 850 Norton (the only 19 rear I could find) Seemed like a fair tire.
  11. newcastlebrown

newcastlebrown cars suck

Oddometer:
    image.jpg

K70's work great on my 70'
    radguzzi, Blackshirt, Scoozi and 5 others like this.
  12. thebevman

thebevman n00b

Oddometer:
    I concur with the K70 crowd, great tire for the money. I'm on my 3rd set in the 13 years I've had my '66 Bonnie. Rears last about 3-5k and front almost twice that.

Attached Files:

Kiwi Mo likes this.
  13. What?

What? curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dunlap K70 front and rear. That is what was on my bike when I got it. I'm not a tire expert nor am I a tyre expert. So I go with what they tell me to use.
    They are good on the road and good on the beach.
  14. Limey-1

Limey-1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I remember replacing the tires on my 74 Triumph and rather than fighting the ridiculous rim locks (Security Bolts) a set of make believe bolts were fabricated and then I only had to worry about the inner tube during tire changes and balancing seemed to be a bit easier with less weights needed..I gave the original parts to the new owner when I sold the bike...Yes I also had the Dunlop K70 s
  15. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a pretty good consensus on the K70s. Ordering some now. I'll post more pics once I have her cleaned up, running and riding again.
  16. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    Dunlop K70 tires of today look just like they they always have but they are even higher quality and made with modern rubber compounds.

One of the best tweaks anyone can make to these old girls is to send the wheels out for truing and balancing. The difference between a bike with hand trued wheels and with factory trued to "good enough" can be unbelievable until you experience it first hand.

Vibrations come from other places besides the engine.
    Rich B likes this.
  17. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm going to be the one that protests k70s, here. They float and have an obvious cliff when leaning. They look good, but perform like ass.
    BT45 is my go to tire for vintage bikes.
  18. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    The op asked "I'm looking to replace the tires with something more 50/50 dirt/pavement or maybe slightly more pavement orientated (70/30?), but want to keep with the appropriate look."
  19. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    Blaine Hale sez:
    "I'm going to be the one that protests k70s, here. They float and have an obvious cliff when leaning. They look good, but perform like ass.
    BT45 is my go to tire for vintage bikes."

FWIW, I never liked the K70 Dunlops either. Ive had em on a couple bikes over the years, my 70 T140E and my 74 Commando.
    Rough ride, & they wear out quickly. I prefer a more modern tire, but maybe thats just me.

Don't have the Triumph any more but went to Avon Road Runners on it. I'm running Bridgestone BT 45s on the Norton, which never or very rarely sees any dirt roads.

If its not too late, Heidenau makes great tires, old looking tires with new compounds. Also, they make a pretty great dual sport type tire that sounds like it might be exactly what you are looking for.
    fxray likes this.
  20. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll stand behind that k70 tires still only fit that statement in the looks category. Heidenau would be a better fit for the performance and use case but they're definitely expensive. You get what you pay for, though.
    fxray likes this.