1969 Triumph TR6C - tire question - t-shirt

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by smax, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The K70 definitely is the right look. And actually a decent unimproved surface tire. Not great, but decent. And it works ok on improved surfaces. Not great, but ok. But it looks great......

I switched to Avon Road Runners as well. Better grip on the road, better in the wet (not a little bit, a lot better), better life. But, definitely not the look and maybe not quite as good on unimproved surfaces. For a vintage Brit bike that gets ridden, definitely a great choice in tire. For the occasional ride, K70's are likely a better choice considering price.

But I do have k70's on a plunger frame BSA......they look the part and you are only going to push a plunger frame just so hard.....so for that bike, K70's are the right choice for me.
  2. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    One of the other tires I'm looking at is the Heidenau K34. Also a nice vintage look. A lot more expensive though. I think the K70s might be a better fit for the road I live on, 10% grade in dirt.
    [​IMG]
    Maybe even the 37 and 67 combo
    [​IMG]
  3. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Understanding how they work would help. Back in the day they were run at lower pressures than is normal today, typically 20psi front, 25psi rear, which is what I ran in my K70's. This causes the tyre to flex and put down a bigger footprint, like a trials tyre. So there is no cliff, you're not on that edge. This is my front tyre, you can see the tread blocks have been touching as the tyre flexes. By the dust you can see it's been on gravel, where they work better than most so called adventure tyres.

[​IMG]
    spokester, Lornce and smax like this.
  4. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    True dat! K70's on gravel or dirt work surprisingly decent. Better than a lot of modern tires.
    spokester likes this.
  5. Kiwi Mo

Kiwi Mo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks very similar.

kiwi 0.jpg
  6. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Just to let anyone who's looking in the future know, I ended up putting the Dunlop K70s on the bike 69 Triumph TR6c. As mentioned, I live ner the top of a mountain, 1,000 vertical feet in 2 miles, complete with switchbacks and washboard. The K70s handle and grip great, almost better than my Heidenau k60s on my BMW F650 GS. The Heidenau's are better on pavement, but the Dunlops aren't bad and negligible vibration at 60+ mph. Looks great too.
    [​IMG]
  7. farmrjohn

farmrjohn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    I haven't noticed any excessive noise. I would call them pretty quiet and smooth for dual sport tires.
  9. Scoozi

Scoozi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you're pleased with the K70's, I went for Duro HF308's on my W650 and they're pretty good too.
    DSCN0662.JPG
  10. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Update: The printer I use just shut down due to the virus. Hopefully I can do an order next month, end of April.

Rather than start a new thread and to make a long story short... I sell t-shirts on buymaxabeer.com and get them printed for all sorts of dumb reasons. I want a TR6C shirt, so I'm making some. The image is from the bike's original manual. Any interest? They'd be about $12 plus whatever shipping costs. I can take credit card payment through my website and will add a couple "I'd kill you for a beer" stickers. I just don't think this warrants me selling through my usual storefronts as I'd be surprised if more than 3-4 folks want one. If you do, message me with the size you want. I'll place an order at the end of April, 2020.

[​IMG]
  11. mike in idaho

mike in idaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    157.JPG
    Somehow the K70s just seem to look right on a TR6C.
    spokester and smax like this.
  12. Manks

Manks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The t-shirts would be better with the correct logo. That one is from the new Triumph. The R should curve around the bottom of the H and enter from the right.
  13. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Maybe? I wasn't really concerned with historical accuracy as design. Triumph didn't really use the triangle logo until 2013 (https://motorcycle-logos.com/triumph-logo/), unless you want to consider the logo here:

upload_2020-3-25_10-30-26.png

Personally, I don't really care. It's a shirt and I doubt I'll get even half a dozen printed. I assume you don't want one.
  14. Manks

Manks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Actually, I really like it. Especially if you can get dark gray like the picture.
  15. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Dark gray (heather?) is the plan. I'm just trying to get an order of 6 or more so they're really inexpensive. I want one for me, the old man who bought this bike new and the friend that did most of the work getting this thing running. 2 more folks wanting a shirt and the price goes down a bit. I plan to only charge what getting these made and shipped actually costs.
  16. Blackshirt

Blackshirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Conti-Twins are available from Continental. They are street tires, but they are period-correct. The Michelin Activ is probably the best modern tire made in the correct sizes for your bike, but are also street tires.
  17. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    The printer is printing and I'd like to place an order for the shirts soon. We're at about $15 a shirt + shipping. Last call if you want one. Just message me with the size and your address. I don't think anyone has sent me an address yet.
  18. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    +1 on Michelin Pilot Activ! Great tire, wet handling great, reasonably long lasting- an overall winner for road use. I'm running them on my R100RS. As stated, currently running old Bridgestone BT45s (which have also been just great- I ran them on my R100 for quite some time) on the Commando, will switch to Pilot Activs when I can. People like different tires for various reasons. I tend to ride my bikes so I want something modern that lasts, rides smith, and handles well in all conditions. So far in my Vintage Motorcycle life, it's been Avon, BT45, & now Pilot Activ.
    Blackshirt likes this.
  19. smax

smax nobody special

Oddometer:
    Shirts finally came in.
    [​IMG]
    invisa-bill likes this.
  20. msahern5

msahern5 Jumping at Shadows

Oddometer:
    Late to the party, I know. I ride mine on mostly gravel and dirt. These are Shinkos. Perform OK and look period correct. They were only 19” trials universals I could find. I have two sets of NOS English made Dunlops still in the wrapper that I bought from Hermy’s stash many years ago. Might be fine for a show bike but I wouldn’t trust them on the road.
    190D60A0-672E-48B9-A7BF-93E0AA1A2954.jpeg
    invisa-bill and smax like this.