1971 Kawasaki F8 - 2 smoke street tracker build

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by MiteyF, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better/more pictures and descriptions tomorrow as it's dark now and I'm a few beers deep, but here is a teaser. She rolls!

[​IMG]
  2. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Nice! It wouldnt look out of place with some fat flattrack tires on it.
  3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah... a lot of people build old bikes and buy tires to fit the "look" of the bike. I buy tires to fit the USE of the bike. One of my biggest pet peeves is bikes that put form before function (choppers being a prime example). What's the point of a bike if it rides like shit and gives you aches after 5 minutes? This ain't no trailer queen, I build my bikes to be ridden, so sticky(ish) tires were a must.

I agree though, flat track tires WOULD look much more "fitting"
  4. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Really nice work :clap

I like the bars. Low but with sufficient pull-back. Where are they from?
  5. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I like them too, they're still "standard" bars, but nice and low profile for a clean look, still keeping a *fairly* comfortable arm position.

Can't remember where I got them, but it's called a "superbike" bend, and they were only about $20ish plus shipping if I remember correctly. A lot of places that sell clubmans should have some superbikes I suspect.

I ran them on my G3 for a while, before I went to clip ons, and so they were sitting around not getting used... until this project!
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    seeing it as a roller, the green in the center of the hubs looks pretty damn cool, didn't look as good as the hub alone, but i like the final outcome.

Good work

also, in regard to actual flat track tires...... they are super sticky. so form and function go hand in hand on that one
  7. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    It looks like they have more pullback than what I'm used to seeing as 'superbike' bend which is why I liked them. After my comment I realized they look a lot like Duc Monster bars.

I'm finishing an Ascot twin street-tracker this winter. Won't be as pretty as yours and as much as I like V-twins a 2T would be cool. Have fun :evil
  8. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    been tomorrow for almost 12 hours now.
    :ddog
  9. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just so happen to love L twins myself... in fact, I have THIS sitting around collecting dust, waiting for some $$ to start my next big project :evil (far right)

[​IMG]

Getting the rest of my coffee down to counteract last night's beers, then getting down to work... and pictures
  10. Dorzok

Dorzok Long timer

Oddometer:
    TL, SV, or DL?
  11. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tlr
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    The engine went back together, still waiting for some socket head bolts so I can torque the cases and what not. I also polished (poorly) the flywheel/stator cover and the sprocket cover. I'm trying to find one of the fancy double-fold-over-lock-washer things for the nut/gear that goes outside of the rotary valve cover. The top end is at the shop, as there were some inserts coming out of the cylinder, but the head/jug is freshly blasted and looking nice.

[​IMG]

Stator needs cleaned and reinstalled (after said case bolts)

[​IMG]

Made an oil pump block off plate

[​IMG]

Finished polishing hubs, and installed the wheels with some new rubber (still need to put on some weights)

[​IMG]

And the forks got powdercoated

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Started making/hacking a fender and tomorrow I should be able to finish up the bracket. Whether or not I use it is another question

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tank needs repainted, after a few drops, some masking tape "staying behind" after paint, etc etc.... but for now (until spring when it's warm enough to paint again) I will just run it as is

[​IMG]

90% done with running wires

[​IMG]

Overall, she's coming along nicely methinks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finished up my front fender bracket... it took a bit of fitting, the nuts (welded on the underside) sit about 1/4" off the tire...

This was the best way I found to make sure the mounting brackets were straight

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not sure whether I'll run it or not, but it only took a few hours, and now I've got options [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only wiring I have left is for the stator, finished up the tail light and dummy light wiring today

[​IMG]
  14. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    That'll be fun, I think they're great motors. I had an SV1K with a dash of GSXR. Voted most likely to get me in trouble :evil The cam gear whine makes them sound better than a Duc IMO.
  15. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm reading along with great interest and then...
    Nothing.
    What happened?
    This is a cliff hanger where we are waiting for the next episode! :eek1
  16. nsu max

nsu max Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice job.:thumb
  17. Mr. Whipple

Mr. Whipple Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple kickstart levers left over from my Big Horn restoration. One shows signs of use but the other is fresh from the chrome shop, (I had 2 of them chromed). I assume that the lever for your F8 is the same as the F5 so it should fit. Let me know if you need still need one (or both). If you pay for shipping and a 12 pack of Sam Adam's Lager, figure $25 total, then they are all yours. You do great work by the way!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since these crappy pics were taken I swapped out the headlight for the correct chrome unit (anyone need this one let me know) and I had the seat reupolstered with the correct 1970 pattern cover. The tail light is still incorrect (its from a 1972 and not a 1970 and that is pissing me off but I have yet to find the correct one. Come on ebay...).
  18. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray Glistening Shaft Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great build. I know I am ready for more.
  19. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    So progress has been slow on this old girl lately. Between a lack of $$, and the need to finish other projects, she's been sitting idle in the corner of the garage.

Whipple, gorgeous Kawi, and I would looooooove to get ahold of one of those kickstart levers! A pm is on it's way :D

I should be tidying up my girlfriend's birthday present soon, and I just finished a few little things on the car, so hopefully within the next week or so there will be some updates. Once I find a new piston and rings, and finish polishing the clutch cover, the engine will be more or less "done"... THAT will be a milestone.

Keep watching :evil
  20. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Small update, new piston/rings arrived, so yesterday after work I put my top end together. Getting cloooosseeeerrr

(sorry about the dark pictures)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]