1971 TS90 Project!

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by whitham_wannabe, Apr 16, 2012.

1. heffa

heffa Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Well unfortunately I have not played with that. I do know it is a 12mm diameter bolt not sure if it is fine thread or not. I don’t think I was much help at this time. : Lol
  2. climberdimer

climberdimer Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    you sent something , and THAT is much appreciated. Thanks Heffa
  3. heffa

heffa Canyon Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    Good luck in your adventure. My TC90 is buried in my shop, if I get to it I will pull the drain plug and compare it to one of my taps and see if I can help narrow it down for you.
  4. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I’m pretty sure I have a factory service manual I scanned into a PDF if you have need.
    A TS90 was my second bike. Engine was great, brakes pretty good for the time and the suspension was awful.
    heffa likes this.
  5. climberdimer

Oddometer:
    That’s be killer to have a copy of the manual!! Funny thing I just sent another inmate a pdf of my WR250R manual last week. I couldn’t figure
    Out how to send here, so I nabbed his personal email. If need be mine is
    mattmcd19@icloud.com.
    Thank YOU!!
  6. climberdimer

Oddometer:
    Any hope of this manual popping up would make a fellas day.
    I could use some good reading here at about Day27 w/o work...
  7. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I just saw this, I sent the manual. it may be too big for email. If you don't get it- let me know and I'll use DropBox or something.
    aptbldr likes this.
  8. climberdimer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Lotus. Received and appreciated!!!
  9. Enderjeta

Enderjeta n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Lotus54—

Any chance I could get that manual my way? I’ve stumbled blindly into my dads 72 TS90 and I’m losing sleep thinking about all the parts and work I can’t wait to put in. I could def use the manual tho! email-Andrew.bryson.esq@gmail.com

My ignorance on this bike so far is encyclopedic.

thanks,
    Enderjeta
  10. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I’ll send a link.
  11. climberdimer

Oddometer:
    Hell yea. Gimme a moment.
  12. climberdimer

Oddometer:
    Lotus looks like he’s making ANOTHER Zook owner happy!! Lemme know if you didn’t get a copy. Thanks fellas
  13. Enderjeta

Enderjeta n00b

Oddometer:
    You guys are legends. I really appreciate it. I'm not just here for free manuals though--I've got questions so would also like the free advice!

Old girl (I've yet to give her a proper name) was sitting in the barn for oh...15 years. The muddobber nests were legion. The missing parts even more so. Engine appeared seized at first, which was painful. However, the flywheel magneto was seized--it appeared a rock had lodged itself in there at some point and scraped the stator enough to no longer allow the flywheel to spin freely on the crankshaft. Dad said he lost the flywheel cap when he was a kid and just always ran it without the cap on (thus the rock found its way in I suppose). I removed the magneto assembly and the engine turns freely and it sounds like the bearings are in good shape--Dad had the foresight (perhaps) to leave it oiled since the last time he was in it--this was sometime during the 90's. It's been stripped of some key parts--including the ignition coil and selenium rectifier.

Q #1 of many to come: I truly do not want to build a new stator from parts scoured on ebay to produce 6 volts to light up the other parts I will have to scour on ebay. This might be sacreligious but since I'm missing the ignition coil and rectifier (parts I'd have to scour on ebay smh) any recommendations on modern stators I could replace the old ones with and also give me more volts for things like, oh, a modern ignition and lighting system? I'd love to keep the '72 charm of old girl but give her the amenities of the 21st century. My dad would approve. He's got an iPhone now.

I've looked at the VAPE (formerly Powerdynamo) stator systems and am thinking about their model designed for the ts125 (https://www.vape.eu/en/suzuki-rv125--ts125) but of course am unsure if that would even fit inside the old ts90 assembly. They do make a stator assembly for the old RV90's but, again, would it fit? Per youtube, the ts125 stator does fit inside the ts100.

These options seem fairly expensive as well. Thoughts?

Pics: Her, upright in all her glory (a paint scheme comprised of what Dad had in the shop at the time maybe?)

And the poor stator with a very large scar at top righish.

Attached Files:

14. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    I cannot comment on the 125 setup fitting. Certainly a more modern setup would be great- but depends on how much you want to spend. I suspect the crankshaft seals are shot, the flywheel side is pretty easy to replace- the other side will take more dismantling. If you can find some used parts cheap- I may suggest getting it running before you put a bunch of money in upgrades, then you would know how much it is going to cost.
    I would pop the head off and take a look inside if it was me.
    Those rear shocks were horrible when the bike was new- suggest saving some cash for modern ones.
    Brakes were ok for the era- engine had good power. Lights were pretty good for the era too for that matter.
  15. Enderjeta

Enderjeta n00b

Oddometer:
    I think that's good practical advice. Yes, I think I'm going to get it to turn over before upgrading the electrics.

I'm hoping this is a there are "no stupid questions" forum--I'm missing the rear sprocket. Denniskirk etc don't list what sprocket size to use and the manual doesn't specify. Advice?
  16. Lotus54

Lotus54 Ngana

Oddometer:
    According to my service manual, 14 tooth counter, 51 tooth rear. That is for the TS model. The 8 speed TC model is different.

5F13FFB4-B1F5-4F86-908B-80B7FA934D6D.jpeg
  17. 380Viking

380Viking Adventurer

Oddometer:
    check out the 'custom ignition' thread down the line a ways
  18. Enderjeta

Enderjeta n00b

Oddometer:
    Much thanks fellas--51 teeth is a great number.
  19. Enderjeta

Enderjeta n00b

Oddometer:
    380Viking--that's a heck of an ignition solution on your ts100--I imagine the ts90 and 100 have the same size magneto assembly?

Your engineering might be a bit above my skill level--but it's an elegant and practical solution to my problem.
  20. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank n00b

Oddometer:
    Just hopping in here because I scored (and sadly sold) a 69 TC90 about 5 years back while living in Houston and had a lot of fun with it during the brief time I owned it. I also owned a 76 KE100 and side by side those two bikes were a perfect pair. IIRC the bottom end was shared or similar enough to the TC/S100 bikes so the mag should be interchangeable. Also, I cleaned that damn 19mm carb more times than I care to recall if only because it was the same carb as on the KE100 (of which I owned several) and the slightest little spec of anything would foul it up. One oddity on my TC90, as my engine wouldn't spin with either the kicker or bumping it one day while sitting in the carhold and it turned out there is a thin metal plate on the back of the clutch basket that is secured by 3 wide headed screws, and that plate had warped and come loose from the basket and bound up the engine. Pulled the basket, saw the warped plate, refastened it and the bike kicked right over and ran great again.