1972 CB350F... Cliche Cafe/Brat Build

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by TheGr8Pumpkin, Jul 25, 2017.

1. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I picked up this pile of rust for exactly $1 per CC. Note that the tail light mount is not faded black paint, but a deep brown all consuming covering of rust... This thing needs to be cut up, so I don't feel bad about getting away from the stock look. IMG_7761.jpg IMG_7729.jpg IMG_7740.jpg IMG_7736.jpg
  2. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A closer picture of the tank and seat to show how bad the rust is. IMG_7744.jpg
  3. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After probably a week of tearing the bike down...
    IMG_7825.jpg IMG_7844.jpg IMG_7941.jpg
  4. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it is after stripping the tank and lining up the seat. The tank has since had all the rust removed and I've shaved down the frame to have the frame loop welded on. The stand, triple trees, fairings, swing arm, and various other pieces are in the process of being painted. Should be able to finish up the painting for those parts and possibly start the frame painting tonight or over the weekend, given that the rain and humidity in Georgia don't intervene...
    IMG_7979.jpg
  5. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First fully painted part is done. After a vinegar bath for the rust, stripping it down to bare metal, and roughing it up, I used some rustoleum bare metal primer and then some of the rustoleum appliance paint that I heard was better than most of the automotive specific paints. IMG_9632.jpg
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cleaned up the tank and frame then had the seat loop welded on. Should be able to have somewhat of a rolling frame ready by August. Then the real fun begins... IMG_9658.jpg
    IMG_9659.jpg IMG_9660.jpg
    gravityisnotmyfriend likes this.
  7. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I admire your tenacity, any particular reason for that bike? Not that it's a bad thing.
    TheGr8Pumpkin likes this.
  8. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I've got one also, bought a few years back for $1 per cc (a reasonable price guide). Mine too is mostly complete but rough, and it turns over, and a clear title. I bought it because my 1st new bike back in 74 was a CB350F that I had in high school. So reliving a bit of past, but the 350F is a neat little four when set up right. Not much on power, mostly cool for being small four banger. Classic 70's Honda.

But like most Hondas of that era, freakin cold blooded. Took forever to warm up on full choke/high idle. A jet kit will take care of that and get the bike running like it could/should.
  9. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The reason for choosing the CB350F was that I had been looking for a bike that was pretty rough so that I wouldn't feel to bad when I hacked it up (hopefully in an artful manner). I have been wanting to rebuild/customize a bike from the frame up ever since I did a restoration on my first bike, a 1974 Kawsaki G3SSD. However, with that bike I was trying to stay as close to OEM as possible. Ultimately, I saw the bike on craigslist, thought the price was ok, saw that parts were pretty available, and liked the peculiarity of the four set up on a smaller displacement bike.
  10. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know what size jets you used? Were you running stock airbox or pods? I've heard the pods are a bit of a nightmare to get running well.
  11. scooterintexas

scooterintexas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you check the gas tank for leads and/or line it?
  12. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Other than opening up the tank and seeing that there was surprisingly almost no rust, I haven't done anything to the inside yet. I was planning to clean and line it before I painted the tank, but I need do some research on what cleaner/liner to use. I have been using vinegar to de-rust everything else. Any suggestions for this process?
    MATTY likes this.
  13. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    POR-15. I've never used it but it seems to be the go-to stuff to line/coat gas tanks.
    scooterintexas and TheGr8Pumpkin like this.
  14. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I have not installed the jet kit, just saying I will do it to get around the typical lean Honda jetting (until the engine is fully heated up).

I hope to be using the stock airbox with a K&N style filter in it as I am not a fan of the pods. Keep in mind the pods allow easier breathing so you have to jet up size wise to allow more fuel to go with the added air or you just lean it out more yet. Most jet kits have recommendations to go with the intake and exhaust set up on your bike.
  15. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My annoyance level regarding the heat, rain, and humidity reached its peak this weekend, which resulted in setting up this makeshift paint room in the basement. With only a few more weeks to work on the bike before law school begins, I need to be able to paint whenever I have time. Hoping to get all of the little parts, stands, swing arm, and frame done this week. IMG_9668.jpg
    IMG_9667.jpg
    shinyribs, duckman44 and EdChap13 like this.
  16. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you can see, I have only been using the most precise measurements and scientific methods during this build. Seat pan got cut out last night but I Forgot to take an "after" picture. Also, I was going to have the front fender finished, but of course I went to heavy with the clear coat and got some runs. I will have to wet sand and reapply the clear. Hoping to be done with that tonight.
    IMG_9699.jpg
  17. everready

everready Stuck in Ohio....Ugh!!!

Oddometer:
    What is the seat pan material?
  18. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    16 gauge steel. Basically just using this to make mounting the seat easier. The seat I ordered already had a pretty hard plastic pan, but this should help hold it to the bike much better.
  19. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is the nearly complete front fender. I cut it out from the original fender, cleaned it up and painted it. It needs probably one more wet sand and a couple more clear coats to be done. This should give everyone an idea of the paint scheme I'm going for.
    IMG_9712.jpg
    davide and duckman44 like this.
  20. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing anything with the engine? I have a '74 350F. They are notorious for leaking along the oil pressure lines on the side of the cylinder. I rebuilt my engine over the winter after i was burning heavy amounts of oil. Found 1/2 pistons had pretty bad scarring (bike sat for 41 years before I got it, it had been dumped hard then stashed behind the shed till I got it). I made it 100km before the head gasket blew and my #1 cylinder started filling with oil :( Something to be wary of if you open it up.