1972 Yamaha R5 350 & LS-2 100 values

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by bwalsh, Nov 23, 2019.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need some opinions please. On topic would be even better! :D
    I went and looked at these two motorcycles today. I'm not sure I want to tackle another project(or two) at this time though. The seller and I really have no idea what these two bikes are worth. He's a nice guy and a friend of a mutual friend. I told him I'd try to help him figure out how much they are actually worth in this condition and if I don't buy them, I'd help him sell them.

They were last tagged in 1981. They both turn over and you will see by the photos both have very low miles. The fuel tanks are pretty clean considering they were in the back of a three sided shed for the past 8 years and I don't know where else for the previous 31 years. The chrome has some rust spots that I'm sure wont buff out. All the pieces seem to be there, or in his workshop.
    The rest of what it needs is a lot of time for a major cleaning, replacing every rubber piece, cables, carb cleaning, bearings, chain, sprockets, etc. He couldn't lay his hands on the titles but he thinks they may be in his other house in WV, so I couldn't positively identify the 100.

EDIT: I do know the RD's have a following. I'm not so sure now about the R5 & LS-2.

The R5 350...

[​IMG]

The rack needs a bit of welding on at least one of the attachment points...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The gas tank looked surprisingly good!

[​IMG]

Looking at the bottom edges...

[​IMG]

Needs some turn signal attention...

[​IMG]

The 100 LS-2...
    Same with the turn signals...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tail light lens is broken...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fuel tank had a baffle in it that prevented me from seeing all the way to the bottom but what I saw looked similar to the other tank.

They look pretty rough, mainly because they have almost 39 years of dust on them! But looking at the photos now, the 350 is calling my name...

So, does anybody know what they may be worth?

I already know about the "what the market will bear" answer. :D
  2. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    I'd been watching for an RD350 to RD400, and, operational, in fair-to-good condition, they tend to list here in the Spokane-Kalispell-Missoula region at about $6000. They're in demand.

It hurts me, because my very-first bike was an R5. JUST like your example. There were a lot of issues with it, things like an intermittant sticking throttle cable (only one, so you couldn't forcibly roll it back) and with that, no kill switch (try stopping a runaway two-stroke with drum brakes)...but I still have fond memories. I paid $200 for mine, used, and sold it a year later for the same amount.

In abandoned-in-the-barn shape...can't help you.
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    In 1980 I acquired two 73 RD250's, one ran, one for parts. It was a fast little bike! But I sold them after about two months.
  4. dave0

dave0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cleaned a CB500T that turns over and a DS7 that doesn't out of a friend's garage. No monies exchanged. Their conditions were a bit worse. Now they take up room in my garage.
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment!
    I was originally thinking the one was a RD, not an R5. The RD's seem to have a following. Doing research the last few days it seems the R5's do not have as much of one.
  6. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    The R5s were just as Yamaha was getting started on that series. The only difference between the R5 and the RD350 of 1973, is, trim...and safety equipment.

The RD series went from 1973 to 1990...as the engine grew and production shifted to India, it became a different beast, but the format, by then, was known. As the bike's performance was a known quantity.

The safety stuff cannot be overstressed. In 1972, there was no engine kill switch. Grabbing the ignition key on a bouncing, out-of-control bike, with the throttle cable jammed wide-open...well, if you are able, you were lucky. Third time it happened to me, and I couldn't find the problem in my garage...I figured my life was worth more than the couple-hundred I was in to that machine for.

There was also no secondary throttle cable, to force closed the throttle. So, the cables would develop problems, and the only solution was to replace the Y-cable and sliders.

And in year 1985, Yamaha had discontinued the R5 cable. IIRC, I think the RDs started using throttle butterfly plates, instead of sliders.

That, and drum brakes...cable operated...we tend to forget just how marginal brakes were, back then. The RD came with disc fronts for the first time.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply!
    I read where the R5's had something besides reed valves for the fuel delivery and a few minor engine differences with the RD's. Can't remember what it was called...
    I'd read online, and heard here, about the sticking sliders and which ones to replace them with to alleviate the problem.
    If, I were to pick the bike up I'd install an engine cutoff switch...but I'm going to pass on this one.
  8. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    Now, I wouldn't advise that.

If you're not comfortable keeping it, it might be good to flip. I don't think anyone involved with R5s/RDs has lost money in the last ten years...
  9. rkover1

rkover1 doc Supporter

Oddometer:
    The R5s had piston-port intakes, while the RDs had reed valves. (I've owned both).

Not sure about sticky sliders. Carb sliders? I haven't experienced that.

doc
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, piston port intake, that's the one. I read a couple other posts on other forums about the throttle sticking WFO. One site mentioned the specific carb slides to use.

I don't have it and am pretty sure I'm not going back to get it either. I was hoping for a diamond in the rough, but it was not to be. It just needs more work than I have time for.

I already have two projects as it is. One with two tires and one with four.
  11. CaseyJones

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's the best modern-day image or drawing I can find. That big thing in there that looks like a sash weight, is the throttle slider. Each carb had one; and the two cables formed a Y a foot past the carbs, to a single throttle cable to the handgrip.

Either the cable or one of the sliders was hanging up. Just to add to the fun, on a Yamaha two-stroke (and most others) the oil was metered in - past the carb. Good to prevent gumming up of the carb, outboard-motor style. Bad if you wanted lubrication on that ridiculous plunger.
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
    Funny, I was just looking at the photos I took of those bikes yesterday and was wondering if the owner had ever found the titles. I was going to help him sell them on CL or FB.
    At this point in time I already have three other projects with titles but I would like to have a small cc two stroke. I would really like to find a nice RD250 or 350 that I could bring back to life.
    Jackie O likes this.
  13. Jackie O

Jackie O n00b

Oddometer:
    So you didn't end up getting neither of them? They both looked like a handful, but worth it in the end if you love the classics. There is just something special about the simplicity of the two strokes... What are you working on now?
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    No title, no deal. He can go get a new one easy enough but we never got that far.

The owner had asked another inmate if he was interested in them. He wasn't. The other inmate mentioned it to me about three months later after I mentioned wanting an old RD two stroke. The owner worked two blocks away so we went and talked to him.
    Offhand, he couldn't remember what it was other than they were two stokes and the cc of each. I thought it was a RD, not an R, and I had owned a RD250 for a short period of time when I was 20. It kicked my ass and I was on crutches for a week due to a severely sprained ankle. Way too much speed, 25mph(90° curve) no front brake and no experience will bite you in the ass every time. I, and the bike, stayed on the road though!
    I'm focusing on this right now, when I have the time...

[​IMG]

https://advrider.com/f/threads/resu...abanoned-retired-and-rusty-old-relic.1392129/

I think I'm going to start spending time on this soon as I've had it sitting in the garage since the April, 2015. The owner parked it in 2007-8(?) due to a transmission issue.

[​IMG]

It needs a good going over and the transmission fixed. I'm lucky, there are three very talented BMW transmission mechanics within a 60 mile radius.

Then there's the old Dodges younger sibling...

[​IMG]

I may sell that one though.
    shifterkey likes this.
  15. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Besides the reeds the other big difference was that the R-5 had drum brakes, the RD had a front disc.
  16. bigride

bigride Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And 6 vs 5 gears, maybe
    rkover1 likes this.
  17. Mark G

Mark G Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For sure.
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to pick up these two bikes. I saw a post on another thread yesterday with an identical R5 in it.
    The owner still needs to get the replacement titles but we've worked out a tentative deal. I'll post when I pick them up!
    dave0 and Florida Lime like this.